Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear doors can be opened in the event of power failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schulz1983

Model Y LR AWD: Matte PPF, Vossen HF-1
May 14, 2021
High Ridge MO
Decided to post this for the people who do not know. The rear doors can be opened in the event of a power failure. Under the rear door mats there is a small square. Pop that square and there is a wire cable that can be pulled to open the rear doors. I took the square off mine as it needs something to pop it open. I just put the rubber mat back down to cover over the open square. Hope this helps some people, or gives them peace of mind! The owners manual no longer shows this. Confirmed they are still there on a Feb 2021 build.

Or, you know, Tesla could just make actual door handles that also drop the window a bit when pulled.

Commence flaming... ;)
In a power failure the windows would not be able to drop a little. The electronic poppers are nothing new. Cadillac has been doing it for years. My step moms early 2000s Cadillac CTS had them. Heck look at Corvettes.

I wonder why they didn't use the same emergency release handles that are present in the front. You could fix it so they lock when the child protection locks are engaged but would be usable if there were no power....
I’m not sure how that would be possible as they bypass any electronics. They wouldn’t be able to make them inoperable while there is power to the vehicle. Same reason the front ones still work all the time.

Reactions: iustin
I’m not sure how that would be possible as they bypass any electronics. They wouldn’t be able to make them inoperable while there is power to the vehicle. Same reason the front ones still work all the time.

Why do the emergency handles need to be inoperable when the power is on? Just add a switch that also triggers the window to drop when the power is on. Then it works power-on or power-off. My aging mother-in-law still tries to pull the emergency handle to get out of the front passenger seat even after countless times of asking her to just push the button.

In a power failure the windows would not be able to drop a little.

In an emergency situation, when the power had failed and you need out NOW, I really don't care if the windows drop a little or not. Perhaps others might still want to protect the window trim but I think at that point, the car is already sustained major damage anyway.

I'd personally live with the slight risk of scratching the trim just like we do in the front. The rest of the time, when the car does have power, the emergency handle should trigger the switch just as easy as the button does - or whatever.

I guess I woke up with a desire to get flamed today but this is one of those things that has just never made sense to me.

Well anyway this was supposed to be an informative post letting people know an emergency release exists for the rear doors. The point was not to debate why Tesla doesn’t incorporate solenoids or windows dropping when using an emergency release. I don’t really care. I just care that an emergency release exists in the event of an “emergency”.

Well anyway this was supposed to be an informative post letting people know an emergency release exists for the rear doors. The point was not to debate why Tesla doesn’t incorporate solenoids or windows dropping when using an emergency release. I don’t really care. I just care that an emergency release exists in the event of an “emergency”.
Indeed. Thank you again for reminding/informing us.

i carry a window break/seatbelt cutting tool in each car for this purpose

Reactions: Schulz1983