Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear doors can't be opened from inside?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

Got my MYLR today, what an amazing car I must say!

Everything works well besides the rear doors. So when I was sitting in the rear I closed the door. Then I wanted to get out by pressing the button and nothing happened! The car had locked me in somehow. No one was sitting in front, only me in the backseat.

I tried to lock and unlock from the app but still the rear doors wouldn't open. So I had to call my wife to go out and open from the outside. That worked. Front doors works great, opens every time.

I have no idea where to even start looking? I am afraid that something is wrong with the car? :(

• Funny
Reactions: Cavity
I have no idea where to even start looking? I am afraid that something is wrong with the car? :(

Sounds like child locks were on, to me:

Child Locks​

Model Y has child locks on the rear doors to prevent them from being opened using the interior release buttons. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Locks > Child Lock. You can choose Both to engage the child lock on both rear doors, or you can choose Left or Right to engage it on just a specific door.
Warning
It is recommended that you turn on child locks when children are seated in the rear seats.

Congrats on your new car Martina!

In the future, if you can open the rear window then open the window and open the door from the outside, If the windows are "child/dog locked" too then reach in front and open the window from the driver's armrest.

My dog is usually the only one in the back seat and he will always open the window if he can (he also unscrews bottle tops). So I keep all the child locks enabled. I've locked myself in a couple of times when I've been futzing around in the back seat.

There is also an emergency door release (for emergencies only):

Note: the red button is not the emergency release. It opens the small panel and the actual emergency release is under the panel.

Reactions: DerbyCityY