Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear doors don't self open from inside ...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holmgang

Sep 9, 2019
eu
Front doors = PRESS button, door unlatches and electrically swung open beyond the striker --> push door to fully open

Rear doors = PRESS button, sound of latches undone. doors release slightly. but still captured by striker. push door --> cant open.

If I HOLD the button on the rear doors, then of course i could push it out fully. But then its not behaving same as front (where i only need to press the button once).

Is this normal? Manual doesnt describe that behavior. It shouldnt be the child-locks, because the child locks should fully disable the rear buttons.

Doesn’t sound like it’s operating normally to me.

From the manual:

“Opening Doors from the InteriorModel 3's doors are electrically powered. Toopen a door while sitting inside, press thebutton located near the top of the interiordoor handle. Doing so releases the latch sothat you can push the door open.”

Last edited:
Doesn’t sound like it’s operating normally to me.

From the manual:

“Opening Doors from the InteriorModel 3's doors are electrically powered. Toopen a door while sitting inside, press thebutton located near the top of the interiordoor handle. Doing so releases the latch so that you can push the door open.

I highlighted the last sentence. the only thing pushing the bottom does is release the latch. Different build quality and alignment might cause some doors to pop open past the latch. OP’s car is completely normal.

• Informative
Reactions: Ryephile
Front doors = PRESS button, door unlatches and electrically swung open beyond the striker --> push door to fully open

Rear doors = PRESS button, sound of latches undone. doors release slightly. but still captured by striker. push door --> cant open.

If I HOLD the button on the rear doors, then of course i could push it out fully. But then its not behaving same as front (where i only need to press the button once).

Is this normal? Manual doesnt describe that behavior. It shouldnt be the child-locks, because the child locks should fully disable the rear buttons.

My car behaves exactly the same way as yours.

I asked service about this and they did realign the door latch since it was rubbing. They said since rear door is heavier, so you have to hold the button down and push unlike the front door which is press and then push. Weird and confuses the rear passengers. Appears to be normal behavior per Tesla Service.

Reactions: holmgang
It never occurred to me or my passengers to try to open a door without pushing it.

Wait, not true... one person expected automatic gull-wing doors until we walked up to my car.

Other than that, everyone expected the doors to work like normal doors, which they do.