Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear doors water leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had this problem on my 2015 S P90D on the left rear side. I found this thread AFTER figuring out how to fix it. I thought it was the sunroof drain at first but noticed all water poured into drain made its way out to rear wheel well. I took all the interior trim and panels off the left rear and pulled down the corner of the roof material to pinpoint the leak. I noticed that the chrome had a decent gap except in the area where the headliner was wet. In that area the chrome had virtually no gap between chrome and the paint which keeps water from flowing down the chrome channel. I realized that at that point when I poured water in that area it came straight through. Every drop! Unreal for a 5 year old luxury vehicle. I could see exactly where the water poured in and it was near the bolt that holds either the chrome or window frame in place. Went to hardware store and got some “Flex Shot” which is the caulk version of the Flex Seal stuff. I filled the area that was leaking and waited 30 minutes for curing. Poured water and it came in a little ways down from the original spot so I ended up applying the Flex Shot along the entire seam which ran to the very back of the small window. Pics included to show where water was dripping, where the chrome had no gap for water to flow, where I first applied the flex shot and where I applied the entire length. $12 fix instead of the $1500 it seems Tesla would have charged.
5F4C8EC8-5164-435C-9CC9-8C0C5DA3DD24.jpeg
B9776B31-9017-4DC2-9DFC-A5A313FA8451.jpeg
View attachment 512631
9DAE6AFF-EE91-4D61-8CBD-85A1AB89E2D9.jpeg

Attachments

• 32DEFBA1-CF37-4641-9FF4-7D783E8C5AEC.jpeg
    32DEFBA1-CF37-4641-9FF4-7D783E8C5AEC.jpeg
    258.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Informative
Reactions: akng126 and rsg123
It's out of warranty. They will charge u both arms. Have someone get in car, u spray water on it. See where its leaking. U fix it or take to a good body shop. Body shops deal with this everyday.
I'm happy. My antique goes thru the car wash alot. No leaks, my dog loves it, he barks all the way thru it.

The window regulator has 2 rails that carry window, if u get under door u will see 2 number 10 bolts . If u loosen them, push outward, that will tilt the top of window in more. That will seal it tighter in the track when it goes up. It's not much, I think about an 1/8 or 1/4 inch. But that's alot at top of up position. I had wind noise after changing regulator, adjusted it and wind noise was gone.
Note , my cables rusted on regulator. Causing cable to break and ruin motor.

Reactions: akng126
I had my windows adjusted and the remove the bright molding to seal it with some black flex seal looking stuff. It took them three tries but I think it solved it. Wind noise is due to the gap between the window and the seal. Over adjust it cause the window not to touch the seal.

I had my windows adjusted and the remove the bright molding to seal it with some black flex seal looking stuff. It took them three tries but I think it solved it. Wind noise is due to the gap between the window and the seal. Over adjust it cause the window not to touch the seal.
I'm having this same exact issue now. Which bright molding were you speaking of?

i have the exact same problem on the right side. I was thinking of getting the sealant to find the leak too, after getting quoted $1800 to replace the whole chrome trim plus the small rear window which i dont think has anything to do with it. Thanks for this tutorial

i have the exact same problem on the right side. I was thinking of getting the sealant to find the leak too, after getting quoted $1800 to replace the whole chrome trim plus the small rear window which i dont think has anything to do with it. Thanks for this tutorial
Wtf? 1800 for a piece of chrome trim that cost maybe less than 10 bucks to make?! Dang!