TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear drive unit fail

Discussion in 'Canada' started by peter67, Aug 6, 2019.

1. peter67

peter67 Member

So I was out driving yesterday, local road, doing maybe 60km/h when all of a sudden I hear a "thunk-thunk" coming from the rear of the car. Immediately all kinds of warnings pop up. As I'm pulling over, the car shudders and shakes to a stop. Screen says "12V power reduced" and "car needs service". Car will not start or move. Was a little unnerving. Call roadside assistance and get towed 2 hours later.

This morning service calls me and tells me the rear drive unit has to be replaced. Did a quick search on-line and this does seem to be that uncommon. Anyone else experience this?

2. peter67

peter67 Member

Forgot to mention I picked up my M3 in June 2018, RWD, long range about 30,000 km.

3. juls_esp

juls_esp Member

since you are under 80k i am sure this is 100pct covered? i wonder if the 160k warranty would cover this?
    i hope they fix it right away and you are back on the road enjoying your m3

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

A friend of mine got his Model 3 SR+ last June and had a rear drive unit fail the first day after 200km when he got home... Drive unit was replaced but he got to enjoy a loaner Model S P90D during the 2 weeks it took to repair :)

5. Techniques

Techniques Member

Sorry to hear about the drive unit. Please keep us posted regarding the repairs. There is a line in the AWD description that always made me second guess why it was there "If one motor stops working, you can safely continue to your destination with the second"...hope it's not there because Tesla know something about the durability of the motors we all don't know.

6. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

There have been more front drive unit failures than rear failures thus far.

• Informative x 3
  7. peter67

peter67 Member

Just got back from Tesla Lawrence. They have to wait for the new unit, so repair will take a week. No other info on why or how the unit failed. Got a Model S P85 as a loaner. So fast!

• Informative x 2
  8. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

What led up to this? Any noises you heard that was out of the ordinary? I've been getting a loud click from both rear drive wheels, appointment next week at Mississauga Service to take a look.

9. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

Yeah unfortunately Tesla doesn't stock any rear drive units in Canada for the Model 3. They always have to be ordered from the USA.

10. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Not to take this thread off topic but I have a noticeable click in the rear left wheel. Service appointment tomorrow morning at Tesla Lawrence

• Informative x 2
  11. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

Really stupid suggestion: you're sure the click isnt from a large rock or something embedded in your tire? I battle with the noise of stuck rocks in the tire treads constantly with both our EVs since its so easy to hear them and there is a fair bit of road construction on a street around the corner from our house.

12. pcons

pcons M3 AWD+

#12 pcons, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    So, one thing I recall reading was that its technically only if the front motor dies can you still continue driving...I'm pretty sure I read a thread a month or so ago where the rear unit failed on an AWD and the car wouldn't drive 'as advertised'....I'll see if I can dig it up...

Edit: found the thread...it was a P3D+ with rear failure, but the car wouldn't drive on the front alone:

Rear Drive Unit Failed

Someone even pointed out where Elon said this should work on both motors, but I didn't go through all 5 pages to see how it ended up:

Rear Drive Unit Failed

• Informative x 2
  13. Techniques

Techniques Member

Can you describe the clicks? is it noticeable while driving or while reversing?

14. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Motors are like hamsters. Most will go and go and go but some will die prematurely. Tesla's warranty will take care of it.

15. bwalter

bwalter Member

Good suggestion. I thought I had some sort of drive line issue on the front of my car just a few days after I got it. There was a bit of a clunk and I could feel it in the steering. After I while I opened the window and from the sound it was obviously something in tire. I checked it out at home and found a bolt had embedded itself the tire (but the tire was still holding pressure.)

16. Techniques

Techniques Member

Interesting. I wonder if this claim by Elon was short sighted. If the AWD system is software controlled, then in theory the FWD motor should be able to take over and drive while the RWD motor is free rolling but disabled. From reading the posts, the AWD variant is dependant on the RWD motor, as if almost locked to it.

17. Birdman325

Birdman325 Member

Absolutely not a rock. It is a very noticeable “click” on acceleration and deceleration.

18. peter67

peter67 Member

There was nothing out of the ordinary. No unusual sound. No unusual messages. Than out of nowhere "thunk-thunk" sound from the rear of the car. Than all hell broke loose - error messages and the car stopped almost immediately. Just thankful this did not happen on the highway or in the middle of winter.

19. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

Forward, Reverse, slow, fast, accelerating or decelerating; it's really easy to hear if I go over a bump or hop onto a private drive way from the road that's a little higher than normal. It's like a clip being snapped. I read that it may be loose bolts/nuts on the rear axle in the Model 3 forums. I'll find out next Tuesday during my appointment.

I also got some ramps to jack up the car with to rotate tires. Will remove all the rocks and get back to you on that theory :)

• Informative x 1
  20. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

I had this too. Some new shims somewhere near the brakes fixed it. It’s common and quickly fixable.