Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Drive Unit Failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear. Glad they’re taking care of it.
Doesn’t happen often, but when it does, seems to happen early.

Would be interesting to know the actual stats. For everyone that posts about a RDU failure on a forum, there's probably a ton more that aren't posted publicly. I wouldn't be surprised if the failure % of RDU's in the first 3 years is higher than ICE failures in the same time frame.

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
Would be interesting to know the actual stats. For everyone that posts about a RDU failure on a forum, there's probably a ton more that aren't posted publicly. I wouldn't be surprised if the failure % of RDU's in the first 3 years is higher than ICE failures in the same time frame.

Who knows, but that’s not an issue if it is the case. Most of the failures, (and I don’t think it’s as many as you’re implying), are not the motor itself. It’s the inverter, or some other attached part.
These part failures will improve over time.

Gas cars have had 50 years to perfect failures, and they still have lots. They have strategically perfected failures to occur after the warranty period though. :)

Gas cars have had 50 years to perfect failures, and they still have lots. They have strategically perfected failures to occur after the warranty period though. :)

Yeah, but that's not the marketing or what's on the banners of the fanboys. What you hear is that there's so many less moving parts in a Tesla, that they are more reliable by that fact alone, and the car will last a million miles.

But then you have to make excuses that it's relatively new tech.

I am ok with what it actually is, but what I hate are the lies.

By the way, the electric motor has been around longer than the ICE, and many of the first cars were electric, so your argument that ICE motors have had more time to be perfected is another one of the lies.

Who knows, but that’s not an issue if it is the case. Most of the failures, (and I don’t think it’s as many as you’re implying), are not the motor itself. It’s the inverter, or some other attached part.
These part failures will improve over time.

@M109Rider
Where did you get that from ? The parts failures are mostly not the motor ? Can you show me that stat ? Quite interesting

Given the membership here, if RDU failures were common, we'd be seeing a lot more posts. Of course, the Model 3 hasn't matured enough to get a more definite answer on that, so only time will tell.

I wonder if any of the newer RDUs (990) have failed (based on posts in the forum)?

Last edited:
You’re stretching things heavily to meet your conclusion.

I’m more a fan of “*sugar* happens” theory. There will be failures in any system. Lessening the parts of a system does lessen the rate of failure of the system (all other things being equal of course).

Take a step back, relax, and enjoy the scenery.

Yeah, but that's not the marketing or what's on the banners of the fanboys. What you hear is that there's so many less moving parts in a Tesla, that they are more reliable by that fact alone, and the car will last a million miles.

But then you have to make excuses that it's relatively new tech.

I am ok with what it actually is, but what I hate are the lies.

By the way, the electric motor has been around longer than the ICE, and many of the first cars were electric, so your argument that ICE motors have had more time to be perfected is another one of the lies.

Reactions: Tron 3
My Rear Drive Unit failed yesterday morning. Was parked in the garage went to start the vehicle and started getting the same symptoms as Others described.
Vin is in the 4xxx
2018 Model 3 P+
Q4 Delivery October
32,000 miles

Towed into Tesla still waiting on a reply.
Your VIN is in the 4000's and you have a Performance? I see you got it delivered in Oct, but when was it built?

Just had the rear drive unit replaced on my Jun 2018 RWD with 27,000 km. Got following warning:

3482599C-BD68-403A-BC9D-CFEF5AE71D48.jpeg

We were headed out for shopping trip and wife was uncomfortable with this so we went home and got the Escape. Booked a service appointment and went for 8am today. They gave me an S P90D with ludicrous :) in password protected CHILL mode :(((
Found out at 10am that they had to replace the RDU. Got a text at 16:30pm it was ready for pickup. From diagnosis to R&R in one day! Impressed.