Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Drive Unit Failure DI_w126 Alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On 9/11/21, I was driving my '16 Signature Model X P90D (~31,000 miles) about 50 mph on a country road a mile from my home. No heavy acceleration, just cruising along. My X started lurching and I got a DI_w126 Alert: "Reduce Power. Service Required." The car became unresponsive to the throttle, and I was lucky to limp home (through a busy 4-way intersection) with minimal throttle control. The car died in my driveway. Two days later, I was able to back it onto the street for towing, where it died again in the middle of the street with a "Rear Drive Unit Failure" alert.

I took a 400 mile round-trip two weeks before the failure with no issues at all. The car then sat in the garage for a week with one or two 2-mile round trips. Then, a fatal failure on the RDU out of nowhere under gentle driving conditions.

My X was towed to the Vallejo, CA SC on 9/13. (The tow truck arranged by Tesla showed up with a flat tire on the dolly carrying the rear wheels of my X. Another unhappy story.)

After several days of "customer engagement by tweets" through the app (and no other way to discuss the problem) the SC determined that there was "a low megohm reading" in the rear drive unit (RDU), the car's controller caught it and disabled the RDU, and it had to be replaced under warranty. After 17 days in the SC, the work was done (waiting for parts, as usual) and I picked up my X. No details on the failure that cost me 19 days without a car.

I realize that the SC probably has neither the time nor the expertise to diagnose failures like this. But, I would like to know what happened inside the RDU and if it is a common or very rare failure. "Low megohms" is not a satisfactory explanation. I suspect an internal short, but how could that happen? I used to think that almost nothing on an automobile is more reliable than an AC Induction Motor.

Does anyone know what happened?

I have a signature 2016 X (65k miles) and a couple weeks ago, I got a warning "car may not restart/service required" and "max acceleration and speed reduced". I called Tesla service and they said it was likely a battery issue, but after a week of diagnostics, they said I need to have my rear drive unit replaced. I searched the web and found a number of interesting videos on early S rear drive train issues, Seems to be many causes for the failures... One was a degradation/breakdown of a Cu gasket in the drive unit that normally allows a current path. Don't know if this is what happened to your (or my) unit. I will inquire about the specific failure on my X when I pick it up and post if they give me any additional info....

Thanks vangogh. I think we corresponded in ‘16 when we got our Signature Xs and maybe met at the intro in Fremont in ‘15.
I never got any explanation from the Service Center. Just complete RDU replacement inter the powertrain warranty. That you had a similar problem makes me wonder if it was a design flaw affecting low VIN Xs.
With this failure, and the collapse of the left front suspension due to a fracture of a linkage (an issue the NTSB is tracking), I decided to trade in my signature and get a new long range X. Sometime in April. Hopefully it will be free of some of the low VIN failures many of us have experienced. No regrets, because it’s been a joy to drive.

Thanks vangogh. I think we corresponded in ‘16 when we got our Signature Xs and maybe met at the intro in Fremont in ‘15.
I never got any explanation from the Service Center. Just complete RDU replacement inter the powertrain warranty. That you had a similar problem makes me wonder if it was a design flaw affecting low VIN Xs.
With this failure, and the collapse of the left front suspension due to a fracture of a linkage (an issue the NTSB is tracking), I decided to trade in my signature and get a new long range X. Sometime in April. Hopefully it will be free of some of the low VIN failures many of us have experienced. No regrets, because it’s been a joy to drive.
I am now thinking of a trade in option when my extended warranty is close to expiring. I was really hoping that a fully autonomous (no steering wheel) capable car would be available before trade in but that is looking like wishful thinking....

I have a 2017 100D X which I took into SC for work on the axle due to issues when I accelerate. While there they discovered a “leak” in the front Drive unit. I hadn‘t gotten any error notices. The SC said they happened to have a unit on site and could replace right away. I was told that “all drive units are OEM remanufacutred and fully tested But the half shaft is new”. Opinions on getting a refurbished unit? Shouldn’t the replacement be new? I have an extended warranty that expires in 2025 or 45,000 more miles which ever comes first. TIA

Check the warranty to see if Tesla can replace your FDU with remanufactured parts at their discretion. If so, you may not have a choice.

I’d like to believe that a remanufactured unit is as good as new if all parts having damage or wear are replaced and the unit is tested to original specs. It all depends on the quality control processes at the remanufacturer.

Of course, these are expensive vehicles and we like to think that all the parts are of the highest quality. Unless others have had bad experiences, I’d be content that I got a perfectly good replacement part.

Got my X back with a new rear drive unit. They just said it was a failure of "communication between the RDU and the HV battery". Don't know exactly what that means, but the new drive unit is working well....Unfortunately, they did not look at the clicking noise I'm hearing during acceleration (started at around 45k miles and has gotten progressively worse - at 65kmiles). (see video). Seems like it may be an issue with the LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount and Both Front Halfshafts (apparently there is a service bulletin out on this). Now I have another appointment later this week...

The RDU problem might be different than mine. An internal short was suspected. What bugs me is that an RDU failure disables the car.

I had the same front end noise issues at maybe 20K miles. Both halfshafts were replaced with upgraded units. I also noticed that there was more noise when they were cold.

In March '22 they agreed to do the half shaft upgrade, found the Front drive unit was cracked and replaced it (under warranty). Now in Jan '23, I am hearing the similar rolling/knocking sound I heard before the last Rear Drive Unit Failure in December '21. I have a service appointment scheduled for next month. I'm anticipating another RDU replacement....(Still under the original 8 year warranty). I am going to ask if they are using new parts, and if there might be something else having an issue with 2 RDU failures...the last one in only 14 months after installation

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. Those RDU failures are completely unacceptable. The kind of thing that can leave you marooned in the middle of nowhere.
I remember you from posts starting with the delivery of my '16 Sig X. So, you still have yours?
I traded mine in for a long range X in September '22. I've told people that the '16 was "the best and worst car I ever had." Best for features, ride, and performance. Absolute worst ever for reliability. I calculated that it spent two hours at a Tesla Service Center, mostly rotting in the sun waiting for parts, for every hour on the road. The new X is such an improvement, it's hard to think it's the same concept. So far: perfect. Fingers crossed.
Good luck, and the 8-year warranty helps.

Wow...about a month ago, I started hearing the same noises coming form the trunk, that I had heard a year ago before I got the failure message "reduced speed and acceleration - car may not restart" which ultimately required Tesla replacing the entire rear drive unit....The car is now in the shop again and my guess is another Rear Drive Unit will be required... In between these 2 RDU failures, the Front Drive Unit also required replacement... Anyone else had this many Drive Unit failures on their early model X's?

Wow...about a month ago, I started hearing the same noises coming form the trunk, that I had heard a year ago before I got the failure message "reduced speed and acceleration - car may not restart" which ultimately required Tesla replacing the entire rear drive unit....The car is now in the shop again and my guess is another Rear Drive Unit will be required... In between these 2 RDU failures, the Front Drive Unit also required replacement... Anyone else had this many Drive Unit failures on their early model X's?
Only one RDU failure was enough for me to replace my SigX. Took a year. Glad I fid. Sorry to hear of your experience.

I've had four Teslas over eight years. I've never experienced a single drive unit problem with any of them. Quite a number of other problems, but no DU issues.

P90D/P100D X's n Raven performance I think, all have LDU that's prone to coolant leaks inside n causing low isolation or shorts.
Multiple threads in S forums but it's same drive unit.
My guess is that's what happened to OP.

I'm now on my 3rd RDU failure on my 2014 Model S P85+.

The first two were under warrant but the current one is not and est. ~ $10k repair. Tesla said all they know is there is fluid inside the RDU but no idea how it got there but it's failed and needs replacement. All they can test is for 0 Ohm reading and they know it's failed, along with a finger test for moisture inside the RDU vent. I've found some posts about failed cracked welds allowing moisture in but not sure other causes of failure. Clearly, this is a design and/or manufacturer deficiency that should be redesigned and/or recalled given the frequency of failures.

Any that haven't failed are lucky but I'm certainly not one of them.

Only one RDU failure was enough for me to replace my SigX. Took a year. Glad I fid. Sorry to hear of your experience.
Our 2016 X90P had rear motor replaced. Also need all the high voltage wiring replaced. About 155,000 miles. The performance motor has different cooling than standard or front motor that can allow water intrusion. It took weeks for parts to arrive. Seems to be ok now.

Got my X back with a new rear drive unit. They just said it was a failure of "communication between the RDU and the HV battery". Don't know exactly what that means, but the new drive unit is working well....Unfortunately, they did not look at the clicking noise I'm hearing during acceleration (started at around 45k miles and has gotten progressively worse - at 65kmiles). (see video). Seems like it may be an issue with the LH Front Drive Unit Clevis Mount and Both Front Halfshafts (apparently there is a service bulletin out on this). Now I have another appointment later this week...

Did they replace the read drive unit with a new one or remanufactured? Also what's the warranty on the replacement part? Thanks.