Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Drive Unit Milling Noise - Real Fix? (no warranty)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking up a rough 2013 85 with milling noise.
Does anyone have info on a real fix?
Replace the rotor/gear bearings?
Add a carbon brush?
The car is rebuilt so no warranty AFAIK.
I've disassembled multiple drive units, no issues there. I just hope to confirm what the fix is.

My motor replaced with new under warranty so I now miss the milling sound. If your new 85 is able to drive you can listen to and make recordings of the sound it makes. My sounds were not rpm-based which led me to believe they were inverter phenomena, thus far removed from my own ability to diagnose and/or remedy. Keep us posted on your progress with TM.
--

My motor replaced with new under warranty so I now miss the milling sound. If your new 85 is able to drive you can listen to and make recordings of the sound it makes. My sounds were not rpm-based which led me to believe they were inverter phenomena, thus far removed from my own ability to diagnose and/or remedy. Keep us posted on your progress with TM.
--
You miss the milling sound? I'll trade DU with you. :-D

TBH, I have not checked the catalog. I'll have a look. I assume they wont sell things like bearings from the DU, only the whole unit.
I assumed I would have to contact SKF myself and spec the bearings. Shouldn't be too hard.

DU 85S 2015

Attachments

• 20191113_130350.jpg
    20191113_130350.jpg
    597 KB · Views: 170
  • 20191113_130432.jpg
    20191113_130432.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 95