TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear End Danger

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Tdave, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Tdave

Tdave Member

Anyone else scared of rear ending a school bus? It scares me to death. And many trucks are similar. Why aren't there regulations on bumper height?

bus.jpg

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Here is the reason we don't want bumper laws.

Before
    lamborghini-countach-lp400-s.jpg

After
    countach25th2.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Tdave

Tdave Member

I just want trucks to have front and rear bumpers that are low enough to match with the typical car. That would at least give the Tesla and that Lamborghini a chance.

As it is now, imagine me rear ending that school bus. First contact would be my windshield with the bus rear bumper. The whole front of the car would go under the bus unscathed at first. The bus bumper wouldn't stop its desctruction until it hit the Roadster roll bar.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Good point... I'm gonna keep my distance from school buses.

Speaking of back end... personally I find backing the Roadster out of a parking spot to be a pretty hairy proposition. Especially when you're parked beside some really tall vehicle like, say, a Ford Focus. :tongue:

After a very close call the first week I had the car, I now always back-in or drive-through if I can.

5. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/deadline-nears-for-suv-crash-compliance/

There's a program already for SUVs and pickup trucks in terms of bumper compatibility. I think buses are rare enough (and generally have very low accident rates) that it is unlikely they will try to do the same for them.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Beware of the wedgie...

360_110902_001.jpg
    3murcielago_20090415_005.jpg
    [​IMG]

7. Tdave

Tdave Member

Well those situations are relatively safe. The vehicles hit are light enough to be lifted by the sports car, as we've already seen in a similar crash photo with a Tesla.

In fact, I wonder whether those crashes pictured are actually safer than a crash where the bumpers meet more equally and the crumple zones come into action. In those wedgie photos, the rear car was able to slow down over a longer distance, with more overlap of the vehicles, thereby reducing the g-forces involved.

Again, I'm talking about trucks and buses with my original posting. There's no way a Tesla windshield will be able to lift a semi truck or bus as it goes underneath.

8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, bad idea to rear end something heavy with high bumpers...
    19374359.jpg

Even a hummer can squish under a school bus bumper.
    [​IMG]

9. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

I'm safe from going under the back of the local school buses in Warren NJ; yes, I'm naming you, you with the flashing light on top; you who were in front of me this morning but fortunately for me my car simply wasn't fast enough to keep up with you as you zoomed off into the torrential downpour with our towns children on board... grr. 40 means 40 in the dry not 50 in the wet... Urrgh.

</end of rant><relax>