Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-ended 2017 X and lost power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi -

My 2017 ModelX got rear-ended 10 days ago. I was driving in a carpool lane and slowed down to change lanes. A lone driver in the carpool lane (yes, in carpool lane) didn't notice it and rear-ended me. Other party was co-operative and took the responsibility. Their insurance agreed to provide me with rental car until my car is fixed. The damage doesn't look much, but I lost the power to the car. On checking with body repair shops and Tesla, they said that it could be that PyroFuse is tripped and is a safety feature. My car is not drivable anymore. The repair timeline is 3-4 months, and I might not be able to charge the car during that period. I am afraid that it would drain the battery completely and the battery might die down. What are your thoughts in such a situation? Is there a way that I can keep the batter alive?

The worst outcome would be that the insurance would have to repair the cost and replace the battery, which if it happens, they might decide to total the car. My car value is $60K and if I have to get a new car, it is $140K. Who should be responsible for the loss that I will have to incur if they decide to total the car? What are my options from not having to do it?

The car is currently sitting in towing yard, and I believe it is expensive for the insurance company to keep it there. They are asking me to let them bring it to my home and park it. I am surprised that they don't have their own parking facilities for such cars.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Cheers!

Moderator note: Removed a photo with personal information per poster request.

Attachments

• _1.jpg
    _1.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 130
Last edited by a moderator:
They don’t buy you a brand new $140k car if yours is totaled, they give you money to buy a comparable car.

I would tell them they can’t park it at your house and let them know you expect them to keep the battery healthy or you’ll be requesting compensation for that.

If the pyro fuse is blown you cannot charge the battery. There's absolutely no reason to have it at your house, it's just the insurance company trying to make it easier to force you into accepting whatever they offer. Definitely make them keep the car, definitely make them repair it or replace it, that is give you the value of the car. Used Tesla prices are coming down so you should be okay. In fact, I would push for that. You might call your insurance company to see if they'll help you push this through.

By the way people have bought salvage Tesla vehicles that have sat for 2 years in the lots and the batteries are still good. Tesla reserves a significant amount of energy so that the battery isn't damaged. I have a little electric scooter with a Lithium-Ion battery that sits 6 months regularly without use. Works every time when I go out there. Lithium ion batteries are pretty robust.