Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-ended @ 70+ mph in my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should hope that your car is totaled. I made the mistake of driving the nose of my P90D over a concrete parking stop. When I heard it scape I thought it might have scratched the bottom of the bumper cover as on prior cars I've had. No -- Tesla packs all kinds of stuff down low and something as simple as that was $7,000. Worst part was that it took 8 weeks for parts to show up, and not all of them did. Thank God my car was still driveable, else my rental car bill would have been enormous.

Thanks for explaining it. So, that's something the insurance companies would reimburse you for but it requires you file a claim for it?

Friends, I can vouch for diminished value claims. They do work and can be very successful. I was hit from behind at a stop light, and was able to max out the person who hit me's insurance of $50k. It was $11k damage to my Jag, and the lawyers took $10k, leaving me with $29k (as a thank you, I bought Rocco--yes, that is his name) tickets to see the Yankees vs. Angels. Rocco's website for diminished value claim help is: Contact Us . There is another point to consider: you are entitled to the same make and model (especially if you have performance capabilities) while your car is out of action. In my case the cost to 'rent' a jaguar xkr was $450/day. I suspect to rent a Tesla is a few hundred... so don't get cheated by a lower class vehicle (at the time of the Jag accident, the woman's insurance provided me with a white grand marquis---yeah, cop car). Point of the car rental is that it is part of the money you are owed. Good luck and let me know if I can be of service!

Last edited:
I got hit in the front end at 70 km/hr. It was $63,000 worth of damage to my X. Back in 43 days, and absolutely minty. You will be fine. Blue_hills_bigger.jpg
Blue_hills_bigger.jpg
By the way, I was going 0 km/hr.
IMG_20170629_183403 (002).jpg
IMG_20170630_131451 (002).jpg
IMG_20170630_131451 (002).jpg
IMG_20170630_131415 (002).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170226_173319 (002).jpg
    IMG_20170226_173319 (002).jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20170630_131415 (002).jpg
    IMG_20170630_131415 (002).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 66
Sorry to hear. I was in 2 accidents less than 2 months of each other (no parts were delivered during those 2 months) I do recommend following up with the Tesla parts hotline and the body shop. Tesla isn’t very good at getting parts out. Once the hotline was active, I called and followed up, asking for tracking numbers and delivery dates. I got all my parts within 30 days. The rear half of my car was replaced along with the suspension. I was hit on both sides of my car.

That is when she said it was hers, and I showed her the video for good measure.
Would you elaborate on the 'showed her the video'? Presumably you hit the dashcam icon to persist the last 10 mins as an MP4 file on the flash drive. How were you able to show that to the perp? I had thought one would have to remove the usb flash drive, put it on a laptop/desktop and then, perhaps mail it to your phone so you could replay it there. Essentially it would take some modicum of post-processing. tnx.

My 2 month old Model 3 got rear ended last November in the rain at night. I was turning right (with the blinker on) so couldn't have been going that fast. Luckily the '98 Lexus (10k minimum liability) stopped. Took 3 months to fix ($11k in repairs). Everything about the car worked except lane changing while in autopilot but the Tesla certified repair shop said not to drive it because of further structural damage if hit again. Had a rental car for 1 month from the other guy's Geico coverage then could have paid 20% of the rental cost through my State Farm coverage.

We're in the process of the diminished value claim with a lawyer but it's not looking as good as the lawyer first claimed. I think the DV lawyer is trying to get more from not having a rental for the full 3 months.

The car drives like new now but sure took a long time to get the parts and also have to deal with the insurance hassel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190501-170155.jpg
    Screenshot_20190501-170155.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 53
Thanks. Yeah, I have the premium plan of Slacker Radio and what a difference it made over the Sound Quality of the basic that comes with the car. GroupOn had a deal for $11 for 6 months, I'm 46 and 80s is my music.

So sorry you got whacked. That is my greatest fear with my own Model S. However, I see that you managed to get a premium plan with Slacker. They told me that I can't get an upgraded plan. Can you tell me what you had to do, I'd really like to have that capability.

I hope you have top-end insurance. You're right, it will be a long time, and the car will likely never be the same. I'd feel that way even if was only a parking lot door ding. My sympathy.

Chip

Does the new Model 3 dashcam functionality work any better?
I don't know, check out the M3 section of TMC maybe. I suspect it isn't much better. The problems are a combination of Tesla software quality (dashcam functionality I bet is pretty low of QA list, with no long tests), the quality of USB drives (continuous recording requires higher end USB drives made for it), and the fact that the USB drive is used for other things at the same time (music streaming). A dedicated dashcam is usually tested much more thoroughly (e.g. I've had my BV running over a year recording 27/7 without rebooting, something I doubt Tesla dashcam could do).

My general thoughts have me thinking it's totaled as repairs would be many months, and it would never be the same.

I think you're right about the car being totaled. For your sake, I hope the insurance company declares it that way. Otherwise, it will have to be disassembled to be sure it's safe to drive, and it'll be in the shop for many months. Please post the outcome.

Silver lining: you can replace it with a HW3 car that has the new high-efficiency front motor and the 370-mile range.

Would you elaborate on the 'showed her the video'? Presumably you hit the dashcam icon to persist the last 10 mins as an MP4 file on the flash drive. How were you able to show that to the perp? I had thought one would have to remove the usb flash drive, put it on a laptop/desktop and then, perhaps mail it to your phone so you could replay it there. Essentially it would take some modicum of post-processing. tnx.
Its an aftermarket dash cam called a black vue... you can see the info along the bottom edge of the video

She did say sorry and admitted that it was 100% her fault. Also knew full well what Tesla's cost to repair. Then she got on the phone to her husband and was trying to get more information from her and she shut down and said would no longer answer questions. I advised her insurance company of her unwillingness to cooperate with me.

I suspect her insurance company will be more upset that she first admitted fault than they are with her later lack of cooperation. All they want her to do is provide the information required by law.

Thanks. Yeah, I have the premium plan of Slacker Radio and what a difference it made over the Sound Quality of the basic that comes with the car. GroupOn had a deal for $11 for 6 months, I'm 46 and 80s is my music.

If you get the login and password from Tesla for your Slacker Plus and login on a browser, you can set the it to 320kbps which is essentially cd quality.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 5.52.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 5.51.23 PM.png

You are drinking too much of Elon's coolaid. Elon said the cars have sensors which are FSD capable , just like my P85D has 691hp capable motors, of course limited by battery and the rest of the drivetrain to 463hp (which took Tesla a couple of years to admit, while dancing around how EV horsepower is special, different). All of FSD cars are parts on them which are FSD capable, and they will remain forever capable and never doing even half of what he promised. My AP1 car was also supposed to find me anywhere on private property, while all it does and will ever do is drive up to 40 ft in a straight line while I hold a dead-man-switch making sure the car doesn't hit something. Welcome to Elon world - he sells a lot of vaporware which never materializes.

When Elon stated that AP1 would find you on private property, was that before or after the MobileEye breakup?