Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-ended @ 70+ mph in my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even the article talks about why estimates are only that - estimates. In US EPA does the estimates, not the manufacturer. The article mentioned driving at 70mph which is above what the estimates are done at. I have been driving Tesla's since 2013, I don't think I ever got the rated mileage out of any of the cars. My P85D is rated at 259 miles, realistically it can do 200, but on one trip cruising on Montana highways (speed limit 80) I got only ~150 miles (see my usage graph below, this is all highway driving at sunny 50F, so no snow or deep cold), it doesn't mean EPA screwed up the estimate.

SC2SC.png

Yup. Misleading.

I don’t really understand the point of quoting HP for any vehicle. How it handles/performs in the real world is what matters.
Advertising hp is simpler than advertising a large table of accelerations 0-1mph, 1-2mph, 2-3mph, ... 149-150mph and then having people add up a bunch of time to find out for example 40-70 acceleration.

In any case, they did advertise it, and didn't even come close to delivering it. Elon was even hyping it as a "700hp car", so obviously they were proud of that number.

Even the article talks about why estimates are only that - estimates. In US EPA does the estimates, not the manufacturer. The article mentioned driving at 70mph which is above what the estimates are done at. I have been driving Tesla's since 2013, I don't think I ever got the rated mileage out of any of the cars. My P85D is rated at 259 miles, realistically it can do 200, but on one trip cruising on Montana highways (speed limit 80) I got only ~150 miles (see my usage graph below, this is all highway driving at sunny 50F, so no snow or deep cold), it doesn't mean EPA screwed up the estimate.

View attachment 403447

Well.... good luck with whatever you purchase next!

Never trust ANYONE’s promises. Especially if you think the competition is going to be so much better. Already the real world range of the competition is coming up short.
You, apparently, never saw the advanced summons videos. How big of a short position do you have and why do you still own a Tesla?
I suspect they never anticipated (read that as programmed for) a ramming by a following car. NOTE: Neither Tesla nor Elon said their cars are currently full self driving. Maybe you'd be more comfortable in a Prius.
Why he still own a Tesla? Simple...he like the car even if Elon sell a lot of vaporware but when car company like Porsche or MB will be all in EV Tesla may suffer a lot...

• Disagree
Reactions: osseckiii
Why he still own a Tesla? Simple...he like the car even if Elon sell a lot of vaporware but when car company like Porsche or MB will be all in EV Tesla may suffer a lot...
There were no claims about rear end collisions by Musk, Sorry...no vaporware here. Personally, I'd be real tempted to take that video to a lawyer and see if I could win a personal injury suit. It was awesome that he had that video and it was beyond brain dead that she (following car) would do something like that.
Now, if we get to the end of the year and I don't have something akin to FSD even on local roads, even if I have to apply torque to the steering wheel, yeah, then I'll call vaporware. That's not much it needs beyond where it is to negotiate a 90 degree left or right turn and watch for intersecting traffic. So for Musk to say 100% by end of the year, yeah..I think that's right. That's feature complete, training will be ongoing through 2020.

Reactions: osseckiii
Last night I was rear-ended by a HOV Lane Cheater. She hit me at over 70mph.

I was traveling at 58 mph, and then slowed to 43 before impact. As you can see in the video she came in HOT, and didn't even attempt to break, we estimated her speed to be in excess of 70mph. The only positive note to this is that I suffered minor injuries mostly minor whiplash and some arm muscle pains. Doctors say 2-4 days to get back to life in full.

Damages:
Frame Damage - Rear frame is coming out of the back bumper, she hit that and what caused her to cue-ball off me.
Quarter Panel has great big dent and creases.
Lift Gate is Bent
Rear Bumper is destroyed
Both Drivers side doors stick and creak now when opening and closing.
Diags report an air leak in the suspension and camera issues.
Door lines are no longer straight and even.
Lift Gate lines are no longer straight and even
The entire left side is pushed forward some causing the lines on body panels to be misaligned.
Has vibration and pulls to left while driving.

This does not include the damage that is hiding underneath. I have no idea what's there.

My general thoughts have me thinking it's totaled as repairs would be many months, and it would never be the same.

View attachment 401749
View attachment 401750
View attachment 401751
View attachment 401752
View attachment 401753

hey, how long did the repair process take you