Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended After Installing Mods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share my experience from this past weekend, unfortunately I was rear ended by a girl in a Jeep not paying attention to traffic at around 30-35mph. Of course the Jeep had a bull bar front bumper and absolutely decimated the rear bumper, trunk lid, and trunk. 😞 The real kicker is that she only had state minimum insurance ($25k coverage) so I'll need to use my own if it exceeds that, which based on my research it definitely could. They did already assume 100% of the fault for the accident at least.

It is drivable and I'm taking it to a TAB shop on Friday to get an estimate. Any of you think they'll total it? It's a 2018 Dual motor with 57k miles. If it isn't totaled, they said that I could hold onto the car in my garage until the parts come in. I really appreciate that because I don't want it sitting on their lot for months waiting for repairs, I would rather it be plugged in and somewhat happy at my house in the meantime. I just installed suspension, wheels, and a rear sway bar on the car so the timing of this was impeccable. It was supposed to be getting tinted in less than a week too so I obviously cancelled that appointment. I'm going to fight for reimbursement for the acceleration boost and mods to the car if they total it. I already swapped back to stock aero wheels in preparation for the estimate.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Here is a pic before I got into the accident

IMG-8945.jpg

For now I'm driving around a new Toyota Tacoma as a rental getting a whopping 16mpg on my 70 mile commute to work while she got to drive away with no damage to her vehicle. Anyone have a similar experience?

Not likely totaled. Probably $10-15k of damage. Make sure you push for diminished value.
You think so? I've been researching rear end collisions on the Model 3 and some of the $15-20k repairs don't even look as bad as mine. I guess since my rear quarters are in good shape (visually) that could save some on the cost to repair. I will definitely push for diminished value.

My wife was hit in the rear in November. She drives a 2019 VW Tiguan (not apples to apples). The original estimate was $12,000. She was pushed into the car in front of her at 60 mph from the drive behind her. When all was said and done Progressive poured $23,000 into a car that booked at $25,000. The accident was November 8th. We didn't get it back for 89 days. Getting parts from suppliers is a nightmare. I feel bad for you. Hoping for a good experience. We wait long enough to get it delivered brand new, now you have to wait again.

Reactions: DVM17
Just wanted to share my experience from this past weekend, unfortunately I was rear ended by a girl in a Jeep not paying attention to traffic at around 30-35mph. Of course the Jeep had a bull bar front bumper and absolutely decimated the rear bumper, trunk lid, and trunk. 😞 The real kicker is that she only had state minimum insurance ($25k coverage) so I'll need to use my own if it exceeds that, which based on my research it definitely could. They did already assume 100% of the fault for the accident at least.

It is drivable and I'm taking it to a TAB shop on Friday to get an estimate. Any of you think they'll total it? It's a 2018 Dual motor with 57k miles. If it isn't totaled, they said that I could hold onto the car in my garage until the parts come in. I really appreciate that because I don't want it sitting on their lot for months waiting for repairs, I would rather it be plugged in and somewhat happy at my house in the meantime. I just installed suspension, wheels, and a rear sway bar on the car so the timing of this was impeccable. It was supposed to be getting tinted in less than a week too so I obviously cancelled that appointment. I'm going to fight for reimbursement for the acceleration boost and mods to the car if they total it. I already swapped back to stock aero wheels in preparation for the estimate.

View attachment 787852

View attachment 787859

View attachment 787853

For now I'm driving around a new Toyota Tacoma as a rental getting a whopping 16mpg on my 70 mile commute to work while she got to drive away with no damage to her vehicle. Anyone have a similar experience?

View attachment 787852

View attachment 787859

View attachment 787853

The driver is personally responsible for all your damage, independantly of whether he/she is insured or not.

My wife was hit in the rear in November. She drives a 2019 VW Tiguan (not apples to apples). The original estimate was $12,000. She was pushed into the car in front of her at 60 mph from the drive behind her. When all was said and done Progressive poured $23,000 into a car that booked at $25,000. The accident was November 8th. We didn't get it back for 89 days. Getting parts from suppliers is a nightmare. I feel bad for you. Hoping for a good experience. We wait long enough to get it delivered brand new, now you have to wait again.
Ouch, that's crazy that they poured that much money into the Tiguan. I know it all depends on which state you reside in too, for PA it's a formula that they have so each case is different when figuring out if it is totaled or not. For Texas it's around 100% of the value of the vehicle before it gets declared a total loss, which seems insane to me. I appreciate the kind words, hoping for a relatively seamless process. Not sure if I would rather them fix or total it at this point, kind of 50/50 on the subject.

Reactions: Cincybearcatfa
You think so? I've been researching rear end collisions on the Model 3 and some of the $15-20k repairs don't even look as bad as mine. I guess since my rear quarters are in good shape (visually) that could save some on the cost to repair. I will definitely push for diminished value.
Yea, that is my guess based on how localized the damage is to your hatch and rear bumper.

Please post back when you get initial estimates :)

Reactions: 101dals and DVM17
The driver is personally responsible for all your damage, independantly of whether he/she is insured or not.
Yeah, I will let the insurance companies work that out. I have uninsured/underinsured coverage on my policy so they will deal with suing if need be. I'm very glad I have the coverage, otherwise I would probably never get money from them. It was an older Jeep with minimum coverage and she was in her early 20's, I'm going out on a limb and saying that they probably don't have another $20-25k sitting around if they total it.

I was rear-ended by a Honda Pilot going at about 5-10 mph. I was completely stopped at a stop sign (thank you Tesla cameras) and the SUV moved forward and didn't press on her brakes and rear ended me. I had about 3-5 scratches on the bumper, but because I have pearl white its a 3 stage paint job on the entire bumper per TESLA collision (plus replacing some small brackets). The total amount her insurance has to pay is approximately $1700.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC and DVM17
I absolute hate people that carry state minimum for insurance requirements. I get that for some people that's their only option due to budget, but for anyone that can easily afford it and don't carry anything higher than state minimum, they might as well play the lottery.

Their coverage of $25k should be enough to cover, as the damage does seem to be within the $10-15k range, but when you add rental vehicle and diminished value claim (if your state allows them) into the equation, it might or might not be enough... That's another thing to consider.

It blows that the people that write these insurance laws are the same ones that profit from it. So many people I run into in my job (risk manager for a large electrical construction company) due to accidents they cause to our trucks or equipment have the bs mini me insurance limits. Yes you could sue them but the reason they typically have those limits is because they don't have any money so suing them is pointless. So other drivers have to pay more to carry no/under insured to offset their negligence...Regarding your vehicle I would first, before doing anything, is get rid of that plate holder;) As far as the damage until the parts are removed there is no good way of knowing the cost. My guess is you will top out over $20k when this is done. If they decide to total the car you need to swap out the upgrades you did and put the oem stuff back because you will not get any credit for them. The software upgrades you should get back.

Reactions: M1tch and DVM17
It blows that the people that write these insurance laws are the same ones that profit from it. So many people I run into in my job (risk manager for a large electrical construction company) due to accidents they cause to our trucks or equipment have the bs mini me insurance limits. Yes you could sue them but the reason they typically have those limits is because they don't have any money so suing them is pointless. So other drivers have to pay more to carry no/under insured to offset their negligence...Regarding your vehicle I would first, before doing anything, is get rid of that plate holder;) As far as the damage until the parts are removed there is no good way of knowing the cost. My guess is you will top out over $20k when this is done. If they decide to total the car you need to swap out the upgrades you did and put the oem stuff back because you will not get any credit for them. The software upgrades you should get back.
I was working on getting a new plate holder! 🤣 $20k is around what I was thinking given the inflated tesla price to fix at certified collision centers. I have an estimator from State Farm asking for pictures, so I'll see what they think the repair will cost (guessing it'll be a low ball) They did say over the phone that they always estimate higher with Teslas so it might not be as inaccurate as I initially thought...

Fortunately I swapped my stock aero wheels back on given that the aftermarket wheels were my largest expense. By suing I just meant that the insurance companies can deal with who pays who money, I'm just glad that I have the proper coverage to not worry about it if totaled. I agree that it shouldn't have to be that way in the first place. I have everything back to stock except for the springs, but those are more of a hassle than it's worth to take them off for a $350 value. I will press for reimbursement of the software upgrades if they declare it a total loss.

Reactions: DFW_MVP
I was working on getting a new plate holder! 🤣 $20k is around what I was thinking given the inflated tesla price to fix at certified collision centers. I have an estimator from State Farm asking for pictures, so I'll see what they think the repair will cost (guessing it'll be a low ball) They did say over the phone that they always estimate higher with Teslas so it might not be as inaccurate as I initially thought...

Fortunately I swapped my stock aero wheels back on given that the aftermarket wheels were my largest expense. By suing I just meant that the insurance companies can deal with who pays who money, I'm just glad that I have the proper coverage to not worry about it if totaled. I agree that it shouldn't have to be that way in the first place. I have everything back to stock except for the springs, but those are more of a hassle than it's worth to take them off for a $350 value. I will press for reimbursement of the software upgrades if they declare it a total loss.
Good luck, let us know what the end result is. And would it kill you to wash the car...If it was sparkly clean the other driver may have noticed it glistening in the sun and never hit you😂

• Funny
They did say over the phone that they always estimate higher with Teslas so it might not be as inaccurate as I initially thought...
Don't count on it... I was hit broadside by a red light runner (also with minimum coverage) and State Farm came up with an estimate of 15K. It wound up being totaled and they paid me about 58K after I got an appraiser involved...

Don't count on it... I was hit broadside by a red light runner (also with minimum coverage) and State Farm came up with an estimate of 15K. It wound up being totaled and they paid me about 58K after I got an appraiser involved...

When a destroyed Tesla can go $25k+ at auction it makes it really easy for the insurance companies total them out.

Parts for Tesla required repairs can get expensive where these salvaged cars to not replace all these parts. The insurance would have to pay for them. For example if you are in an accident where the front control arm needs to be replaced, Tesla also requires a $5k motor/computer thing to be replaced. It helps control the Autopilot and the risk of that also being damaged is > 0%.

In the photos you can see the metal behind the rear bumper has been pushed in. That might require a replacement of the bumper supports and rear trunk floor. Maybe it is just some odd reflections, but the left side quarter panel also appears to be damaged. That alone (at least on a Model S) is $10K to replace.

Door gaps between the rear doors and quarter panels appear to be OK, however.

PA state minimum coverage for property damage is only $5K (not $25K,) but with the average new car price rapidly approaching $50K, most states minimum property damage coverage is woefully inadequate, just like most personal injury minimums have always been.

• Informative
Reactions: DVM17 and TunaBug
In the photos you can see the metal behind the rear bumper has been pushed in. That might require a replacement of the bumper supports and rear trunk floor. Maybe it is just some odd reflections, but the left side quarter panel also appears to be damaged. That alone (at least on a Model S) is $10K to replace.

Door gaps between the rear doors and quarter panels appear to be OK, however.

PA state minimum coverage for property damage is only $5K (not $25K,) but with the average new car price rapidly approaching $50K, most states minimum property damage coverage is woefully inadequate, just like most personal injury minimums have always been.
My apologies, I can't believe they allow that coverage amount to be so low. So they have close to the minimum coverage then. Trunk floor definitely needs cut out/replaced and the C pillars are slightly dented where the trunk pushed into them and then scraped the paint off as it went upward, plus the left frame rail is tweaked. Quarters and door gaps seem fine, the State Farm estimator just left my house and said I should have an estimate later today. Taking it to the collision center tomorrow, so we'll see how well their estimates align. Either way it is not going to be cheap.

UPDATE: State Farm thinks that it will cost $6k to fix, I will update again with what the collision center estimate is tomorrow.

I have used State Farm for almost 40 years and am (obviously) happy with them. Their estimates for auto claims are consistently low, but in my experience they're always quick and painless to adjust upwards once the real numbers come in.