Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended. CarFax and reduced value with insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just leave your review on the carfax customer service website and i am sure someone from carfax will contact you in a couple of days.
The situation is a little weird to be honest, cause they have to pay for the damage and that's obvious for me.
You have all rights to be pissed and need to get to someone responsible.

My info may be a bit dated, but accidents were generally only known to CARFAX if there was as police report filed. But I do know that some repairs and insurance claims do make it onto the report. When is was in the insurance industry, there was a database I had access to that participating insurance companies and shops would report information to. I wouldn't be surprised if CARFAX got access at some point. I do know this was not the case as of 2006-2007 as there was a lot of information I could find on a VIN through this database that wasn't on a CARFAX report. It was primarily there to look for signs of possible fraud. And even then it wasn't complete.

As for diminished value claims, when I was in the industry, it was a relatively new thing. A couple of states mandated it but they had a formula for it. For all other states, it's on the claimant/plaintiff to prove such a thing exists and what the value of such a claim is. I recall a dealer trying to claim that and they were unable to prove such a case. Became much more difficult for them when we could show they had other cars on their lot for sale that had prior damage that were being sold for as much as undamaged cars.

I'm in Canada and my broker informed me her insurance doesn't cover my repairs--it's my insurance. Meaning, I'm out of pocket if I don't file a claim.

Ah Canada, the land where insurance makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. (I never looked at your profile, just assumed USA)
Similar thing happens in the US – in the sense that the at-fault driver's insurance company says "sorry, nope, not going to cover it".

I was recently rear-ended in my Ford Transit camper van conversion while slowing down for someone who dashed out after their dog. I merely slowed, no need to slam on the brakes and I didn't even need to come to a complete stop (all captured on dash cam) but young driver behind was apparently not paying any attention and probably accelerating.

Fault was assigned to the other driver of course and I started the claim through the other driver's insurance company (Nationwide) after they contacted me. Eventually they came back and said they were no longer going to handle my claim because the repairs were estimated to exceed the driver's coverage of $50K. (Interior van conversion build out would have to be removed and then redone following body work.)

I had to turn back to filing a claim with my own insurance (State Farm). They were considering totaling it but eventually decided to go forward with repairs once I showed them all the receipts for the custom conversion work (including 4x4 conversion) that went into the van. (And it was insured as an RV.) Repairs in progress now.

Reactions: likkuid
My info may be a bit dated, but accidents were generally only known to CARFAX if there was as police report filed. But I do know that some repairs and insurance claims do make it onto the report. When is was in the insurance industry, there was a database I had access to that participating insurance companies and shops would report information to. I wouldn't be surprised if CARFAX got access at some point. I do know this was not the case as of 2006-2007 as there was a lot of information I could find on a VIN through this database that wasn't on a CARFAX report. It was primarily there to look for signs of possible fraud. And even then it wasn't complete.

As for diminished value claims, when I was in the industry, it was a relatively new thing. A couple of states mandated it but they had a formula for it. For all other states, it's on the claimant/plaintiff to prove such a thing exists and what the value of such a claim is. I recall a dealer trying to claim that and they were unable to prove such a case. Became much more difficult for them when we could show they had other cars on their lot for sale that had prior damage that were being sold for as much as undamaged cars.
I filed a police report as I was legally obligated to. Also legally obligated to disclose damage exceeding 2K at point of sale in Canada.

Thankfully I was found not at fault and the deductible was also waived. However, diminished value is still in question.