Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended. CarFax and reduced value with insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rear ended in parking lot. Car is 1 month old. Video recording skipped the accident but I got the contact of a witness.

Insurance is saying they've never heard of pushing insurance adjuster (CAA Insurance) for reduced value of CarFax on resale. But I've seen that mentioned here. How does one go about that?

Is mismatched colour on replacement parts a legitimate concern?

Damage is minor but looks like rear bumper (scratched and I assume dented) and rear trunk hood (dented h need to be replaced.

23396E63-1611-4703-8915-40AF68ED685F.jpeg

They are claiming they have never heard of diminished value claims? Sounds like a reputable company.

Did you file a police report? Is it definitely being fixed through insurance?

Any legit shop will have no problem matching paint, that is not a concern.

They are claiming they have never heard of diminished value claims? Sounds like a reputable company.

Did you file a police report? Is it definitely being fixed through insurance?

Any legit shop will have no problem matching paint, that is not a concern.
I mean paint match on full rear bumper / trunk hood as they're both dented. Not paint touch up.

No police report, I called insurance and they didn't mention that.

I have license, (expired) insurance of person who hit me, license plate, and a witness.

I mean paint match on full rear bumper / trunk hood as they're both dented. Not paint touch up.
Who said touch up? Again, any legit shop will have no problem matching the paint. You asked about mismatched color being a concern, it isn't.
No police report, I called insurance and they didn't mention that.

I have license, (expired) insurance of person who hit me, license plate, and a witness.
The reason I asked about this is simple, without a police report and accident status, this could just as easily be left off of the vehicles Carfax if that is the end goal here. I'd figure out this person's insurance situation first before going further. Is the person admitting they hit you to their insurance company? Will the insurance company want a police report?

I'd forego diminished value if the insurance company would keep the Carfax clean. Yes, stuff like this can be negotiated.

Who said touch up? Again, any legit shop will have no problem matching the paint. You asked about mismatched color being a concern, it isn't.

The reason I asked about this is simple, without a police report and accident status, this could just as easily be left off of the vehicles Carfax if that is the end goal here. I'd figure out this person's insurance situation first before going further. Is the person admitting they hit you to their insurance company? Will the insurance company want a police report?

I'd forego diminished value if the insurance company would keep the Carfax clean. Yes, stuff like this can be negotiated.
Apologies, I'm not entirely clear headed at the moment.

Are you suggesting I do or don't file a police report?

I don't know what the person will say. She was apologetic and knew she was at fault at the scene.

A police report was not mentioned by my insurance broker.

If they can keep CarFax clean that is my goal, yes.

Great re: colour.

I really appreciate you responding it means a lot and I'm so thankful for you!

Are you suggesting I do or don't file a police report?

I don't know what the person will say. She was apologetic and knew she was at fault at the scene.

A police report was not mentioned by my insurance broker.

I would absolutely not file a report for something this small unless I absolutely needed to. The damage is cosmetic (and small), and your concern of lowering the vehicles value is correct if this hits it's Carfax.

If she is willing to work with her insurance to settle this nicely, that's what you should do. (And they will if she admits fault to them and does not contest anything) You need to get a quote from a reputable shop for the damages, then see what the insurance adjuster has to say before going further.

I really appreciate you responding it means a lot and I'm so thankful for you!
You're welcome.

Reactions: Lephturn
I would absolutely not file a report for something this small unless I absolutely needed to. The damage is cosmetic (and small), and your concern of lowering the vehicles value is correct if this hits it's Carfax.

If she is willing to work with her insurance to settle this nicely, that's what you should do. (And they will if she admits fault to them and does not contest anything) You need to get a quote from a reputable shop for the damages, then see what the insurance adjuster has to say before going further.

You're welcome.

You're welcome.
I'm in Canada and my broker informed me her insurance doesn't cover my repairs--it's my insurance. Meaning, I'm out of pocket if I don't file a claim.

Also, computer systems just started malfunctioning...below + no regen breaking, lane departure, etc.

Attachments

• E44D4CE2-5386-4041-B6EA-79FBD6B6D439.jpeg
    E44D4CE2-5386-4041-B6EA-79FBD6B6D439.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 5E0A6D56-F632-4AFD-825E-EC70DE757828.jpeg
    5E0A6D56-F632-4AFD-825E-EC70DE757828.jpeg
    433.3 KB · Views: 93
I'm in Canada and my broker informed me her insurance doesn't cover my repairs--it's my insurance. Meaning, I'm out of pocket if I don't file a claim.

Also, computer systems just started malfunctioning...below + no regen breaking, lane departure, etc.
Why doesn’t her insurance cover repair when she admitted to hitting your car?

This repair could be much more expensive than you think.

Reactions: likkuid

Ah Canada, the land where insurance makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. (I never looked at your profile, just assumed USA)

Forget everything I said, file the claim, and tell them you want diminished value. It is protected under law and I imagine you will have a hell of a fight on your hands judging by the cases I have read.

Why doesn’t her insurance cover repair when she admitted to hitting your car?

This repair could be much more expensive than you think.
Insurance in Canada works as such: your insurance provider covers damage on your car only, regardless if you're blameless or at fault.
Ah Canada, the land where insurance makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. (I never looked at your profile, just assumed USA)

Forget everything I said, file the claim, and tell them you want diminished value. It is protected under law and I imagine you will have a hell of a fight on your hands judging by the cases I have read.
Diminished value is not a thing in Canada either. However some insurance companies quietly pay it out. I will ask for it, thank you.

The computer systems no longer error and the car is at least functioning fine now.

Here's the damage clearly. Submitted to Tesla certified body shop to judge is replacement bumper and trunk hood needed or if they can restore to factory new without. Thanks for help all.

83D9510F-6821-481C-8080-12B0A2D251F7.jpeg

Attachments

• AE91748E-4AFC-4C62-A8C9-8F6F4A8C2FC1.jpeg
    AE91748E-4AFC-4C62-A8C9-8F6F4A8C2FC1.jpeg
    544.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 5BB2FBDA-200B-4368-B85E-CA8E9A558E89.jpeg
    5BB2FBDA-200B-4368-B85E-CA8E9A558E89.jpeg
    457.5 KB · Views: 81
Insurance in Canada works as such: your insurance provider covers damage on your car only, regardless if you're blameless or at fault.

Diminished value is not a thing in Canada either. However some insurance companies quietly pay it out. I will ask for it, thank you.

The computer systems no longer error and the car is at least functioning fine now.

Here's the damage clearly. Submitted to Tesla certified body shop to judge is replacement bumper and trunk hood needed or if they can restore to factory new without. Thanks for help all.

View attachment 857127
Diminished value is definitely a thing in Canada, I've seen several posts about people getting it. (Depends on specifically which part you live in: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/vehicles-insurance-accidents-diminished-value-1.4675414 also: Diminished Value of Canada - and yes you may need legal help and it may be a long battle to obtain anything) In your case, it may not be worth all of the trouble given how minor the damage is.

The trunk lid may not be repairable and will most likely need replacement, the bumper is 50/50, but I suspect it will just be replaced (the bumper on these is very cheap). It doesn't appear the impact was hard enough to cause any further damage, but without taking it apart it is impossible to know for sure.

Diminished value is definitely a thing in Canada, I've seen several posts about people getting it. (Depends on specifically which part you live in: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/vehicles-insurance-accidents-diminished-value-1.4675414 also: Diminished Value of Canada - and yes you may need legal help and it may be a long battle to obtain anything) In your case, it may not be worth all of the trouble given how minor the damage is.

The trunk lid may not be repairable and will most likely need replacement, the bumper is 50/50, but I suspect it will just be replaced (the bumper on these is very cheap). It doesn't appear the impact was hard enough to cause any further damage, but without taking it apart it is impossible to know for sure.
Thank you. Body shop quoted $3073 CDN with the below note. I have offered the at-fault driver to go outside insurance but have yet to hear back.

"I have attached a preliminary estimate for the repairs to your Tesla. I have put it down for a new rear bumper until we can take a better look at it. It appears to be cracked, which calls for a replacement. If that is not the case, then we can change it to repair and save some of the cost in that area. Until we have that rear bumper removed, we will not be able to tell if there is any damage to your rebar or rear end panel.

The trunk lid from the photos, appear to be repairable. Again, if that is not the case, then we may have to replace it, dependant on the extent of damage."

Rear ended in parking lot. Car is 1 month old. Video recording skipped the accident but I got the contact of a witness.

Insurance is saying they've never heard of pushing insurance adjuster (CAA Insurance) for reduced value of CarFax on resale. But I've seen that mentioned here. How does one go about that?

Is mismatched colour on replacement parts a legitimate concern?

Damage is minor but looks like rear bumper (scratched and I assume dented) and rear trunk hood (dented h need to be replaced.

View attachment 856999
I had a bmw that was rear ended....diminution of value is the key phrase. Thinking about it, it also got the insurance to total a car of mine 20 years ago as well.

If you can do this, it will never show on the Carfax ^^
Not necesarily, especially if any body shop is involved. Buddy of mine had a cracked tail light on one of his cars. He bought the new light out of pocket, ordered it himself from a dealer. Had a friend, who works at a body shop put it in for him. It popped up on carfax when he sold the car 9 mos later. Insurance was never involved.
Showed up as a minor accident in the corner he replaced the light.

Not necesarily, especially if any body shop is involved. Buddy of mine had a cracked tail light on one of his cars. He bought the new light out of pocket, ordered it himself from a dealer. Had a friend, who works at a body shop put it in for him. It popped up on carfax when he sold the car 9 mos later. Insurance was never involved.
Showed up as a minor accident in the corner he replaced the light.
Without a police report, it is unlikely a minor accident shows up on a Carfax. Someone somewhere made a report. (The body shop could have posted that they performed work, but they don't add accidents to Carfax reports)

Reason for this is simple: say your taillight housing was foggy and you just bought a new one to replace it with, that is not an accident to anyone including body shops.

Without a police report, it is unlikely a minor accident shows up on a Carfax. Someone somewhere made a report. (The body shop could have posted that they performed work, but they don't add accidents to Carfax reports)

Reason for this is simple: say your taillight housing was foggy and you just bought a new one to replace it with, that is not an accident to anyone including body shops.
Yet that is exactly what happened. It was never in an accident. Taillight replaced cause it was cracked & foggy.