Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended - Does this look totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello first post here. Not the best way to start. My 2021 Model X Performance was rear ended at a stoplight. Extensive rear damage. Falcon wing doors now scrap the B-pillar. Also some minor front end damage as I was pushed into the car in front of me. Not sure what insurance will do. Kinda hope they would total it as I don't want it back repaired. It will never be the same. At the same time, its so new I think fair market value is less than the outstanding loan. Not sure if I have GAP. I don't remember any paper work from Tesla requiring it like other dealers.

Any idea how or if they would factor options FSD and 6 seater into their estimates for totaling? I would think it works against totaling the car since it makes the car a higher value vs repair cost?

Attachments

• 20210915_121322.jpg
    20210915_121322.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 837
  • 20210915_121331.jpg
    20210915_121331.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 532
  • 20210915_121337.jpg
    20210915_121337.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 371
  • 20210915_121501.jpg
    20210915_121501.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 366
  • 20210916_100251.jpg
    20210916_100251.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 386
  • 20210915_085106_07.jpg
    20210915_085106_07.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,470
Needless to say, this varies from insurance company to company. I understand the use of the 60% rule Is common in which the cost of repair must exceed 60% of the replacement cost before they will total the car. And replacement cost is the depreciated value of the car. As to Gap Insurance, this is fairly common for leased cars - don’t know how common it is with a loan.

I suspect that unless the frame or battery are damaged the car will not be totaled.

Hello first post here. Not the best way to start. My 2021 Model X Performance was rear ended at a stoplight. Extensive rear damage. Falcon wing doors now scrap the B-pillar. Also some minor front end damage as I was pushed into the car in front of me. Not sure what insurance will do. Kinda hope they would total it as I don't want it back repaired. It will never be the same. At the same time, its so new I think fair market value is less than the outstanding loan. Not sure if I have GAP. I don't remember any paper work from Tesla requiring it like other dealers.

Any idea how or if they would factor options FSD and 6 seater into their estimates for totaling? I would think it works against totaling the car since it makes the car a higher value vs repair cost?

How did this turn out with the insurance company? Did the insurance company total it? Did you have to argue with them?
We were in a multi-car accident a couple days ago and got rear ended by semi and some lesser front end damage. Everyone is ok thankfully. Damage looks quite similar, maybe a little bit worse. Car held up amazingly well considering.

Update: The car was totaled. Approximately 60K-65K in damage. I believe the misaligned falcon wing doors had a lot to do with it.

I did not have to fight with the insurance company. Although I did take it to a quality shop to make sure all the damage was accounted for. FYI, insurance approved shop may not be in your best interest as they have a relationship with the insurance company. Good luck on the process and it does take a while.

I was worried about the total loss payout because of depreciation on a new car, but it turned out I got more than the initial cost of the car plus tax. That's only because of the car shortage and similarly spec used models are going for more now. In a way it was a good thing, but it's not enough to get a brand new replacement vehicle as everything has gone up now.

While the whole process sucked, I do get to upgrade to the refreshed Model X. But I have to wait like 10 months for delivery...

When it comes to close calls, if the insurance company (of the one that hit you since it's assumed their fault) doesn't total it out but it's close, make sure to push for DV which will almost always push it over the edge. If not, push for DV anyways as you're legally entitled to it but often have to fight for it. You're insurance company almost never will.