TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Rear ended for second time in 4 months, need some advice

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Olle, Aug 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Olle

Olle Member

Yesterday my wife and kids got rear ended in our MS by an uninsured driver, as usual. The speed was pretty low and no one got hurt. Between the time it usually takes at Tesla certified bodyshop and the increased insurance rate from taking it on our own insurance again, I am considering just buying a new bumper, put it on myself and be done with it. Parking sensors seem to have survived. Those of you who have experience with removing damaged Model S bumpers, how common is it that more components are damaged?

PS. It is infuriating that in rush hour traffic I see 70% of drivers texting, not looking where they are going. In the two years I've lived in FL I have witnessed 4 rear endings in traffic right next to me and had my own cars rear ended twice with our kids inside. A friend of mine gave up and replaced his car with a raised pickup after being rear ended 3 times in 6 months on i4, he figured at least people will run into his tow bar instead of sending his car to the bodyshop for a month at a time every two months . Btw 24% of are uninsured here in FL Uninsured drivers by state | CarInsurance.com
    and those uninsured cause a higher proportion of accidents, so often you are on your own if rear ended. Isn't it shocking that the authorities let this go on? Would be easy for a government to cross reference databases and figure out who they are. Sorry I had to fume here for a while DS.

IMG_2622.JPG

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. kort677

kort677 Banned

sadly for you there is not very much you can do about other "poorly trained" drivers. I won't get into a rant about the devolution of societal behavior but that is a big part of the problem.

• Like x 4
  3. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

I lived in Orlando for a while back in the late 1990s. I saw a rear-ending like this just rolling down 192. Tourists and drivers from other countries make it hard to really not expect this to continue. Slow earlier and pump brakes to "blink" your brake lights to get their attention.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Looks like you also have damage to the liftgate? I'd probably seek to resolve it on my own, but ordering a bumper will be a nightmare through Tesla since you don't have access to their ordering system. You may be better off trying to find one from a salvage vehicle.

So, in this scenario with the motorist not having insurance, they didn't receive a ticket? Florida is a no-fault state, so the owners are at the mercy of their own insurance to have the damage(s) repaired.

5. Olle

Olle Member

No they didn't get a ticket as far as I know because after 1.5 hours my wife wasn't able to wait for the police anymore so she left the scene (yes she called 911 immediately at the hit and police were "on their way"). I doubt the culprits kept waiting for the police so they could get a ticket after she left...
    If you by "resolve" mean having the guilty party pay, it might take a while since their assets appear to be less than the price of a bumper... A bumper of the correct color from a junk yard sounds like a possibility, thanks for that idea. Liftgate can probably be buffed up.

6. croman

croman Active Member

Just unfortunate all around. I'm sorry. Its good it was a low speed incident and everyone is fine. In IL they'd be given mizzies that wouldn't stick. They'd lose their license and keep driving and then have 15 days of modern day chain gang work to get out of jail. If it keeps continuining maybe then some jail time with happen but I've seen 3-4 times driving without insurance and license and only getting SWAP (Sheriff's Work Alternative Program). Its bad but throwing people in jail isn't going to solve things either. IL will sometimes impound or seize vehicles if its a misdemeanor but usually only if someone gets hurt. That might solve the issue as they'd have no car to cause mischief with.

• Like x 1
  7. Olle

Olle Member

You are right but maybe we all can together, by petitions demanding skill and mental tests for driver's license and anyone getting caught without license or texting or drunk driving go to jail for a year, like in Norway. Driving in Norway...after drinking? - Norway Forum - TripAdvisor

• Disagree x 1
  8. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Ballin On A Budget

Yeah, there are plenty of threads in the Marketplace where owners are parting out salvage vehicles. May be worth your while to rent a truck and go pick one up. May cost a few hundred bucks to have it repainted (if needed) and installed onto your current vehicle.

• Like x 1
  9. appleguru

appleguru Member

Get a quote from your local tesla approved body shop for the rear bumper cover part, painted.

Tesla should also sell it directly to you; just call the local SC and ask for parts. They'll ask you for the last 6 of your VIN and get you a quote.

Note that the tesla parts come *unpainted*, so you'll want to have a local body shop paint the part (approved body shops get parts 30% off I believe... so definitely get a quote).

Here are some hitch install instructions that show the rear cover removal:

http://www.hitchsource.com/docs/pdf/x7201 & x7202 - 2012-2016 Tesla Model S.pdf

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. Olle

Olle Member

thanks!

• Like x 1
  11. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Oh Sh-t. That's not good. You might want to sage the car and yourself. That's not good. That's what we do in CA.

I'm sorry to hear about it and I actually do DO exactly that. Works for me.

12. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Sorry to hear about your loss. Thanks for sharing the insurance data Uninsured drivers by state | CarInsurance.com

Top 5 states for uninsured drivers

Besides ranking near the top for the portion of uninsured drivers, Florida, is No. 2 for the sheer number of uninsured drivers, second to California, according to the report. The Insurance Research Council estimates 4.1 million California drivers are uninsured, and 3.2 million Florida drivers are uninsured. Driving without insurance has consequences beyond being liable for damages if you're at fault in an accident. For example, if you're caught driving in the Golden State without California car insurance, you could pay fines of up to $200 and have your car impounded. Other states in the top five for the number of uninsured drivers are:

upload_2017-8-7_19-9-29.png

• Informative x 6
  13. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I really like the idea of a big tow hitch used as deterrent to uninsured drivers damaging your bumper/body. :cool:

• Like x 2
  14. electracity

electracity Active Member

A tow hitch in a receiver actually transfers to force to the frame. The bumper is protecting the car. You are not suppose to leave the hitch in the receiver for this reason.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

#15 FlatSix911, Aug 7, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    I am contemplating preventing the low speed fender benders ... something like this :cool:

[​IMG]

16. electracity

electracity Active Member

Here's how you make sure you are seen:

[​IMG]

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 1
  17. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

In California, if you leave your ball and hitch in the receiver, you can be held liable for part of the damage to the person who rear ended you!

• Informative x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Supporting Member

I'm curious... as I know there are numerous discussions on regenerative braking and brake lights... but I am curious if anyone has any weird theories that Teslas may be less seen by distracted drivers because of various factors such as:

1) color of Tesla and time of day,
    2) lower Cd (not specifically wind resistance but the fact that there is less frontal and rear surface area to reflect) ,
    3) use of range mode dimming running lights ,
    4) the driver keeping the accelerator pedal engaged enough to only use very small amounts of regenerative braking to keep rolling slowly but inadvertently keeping the brake lights off,
    5) the game Angry birds.... I mean, has anyone done a study on the number of rear end collisions and the release of Angry Birds?

All jokes aside, these other theories are making me want to install stick on reflectors like those that you might see on a city work truck

19. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Supporting Member

20. whitex

whitex Active Member

No amount of reflectors is going to get attention of a person texting or putting on makeup. You'd need a deep base foghorn that would shake the car approaching too fast.