Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended M3 [is this totaled?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to the storage lot, took another look.
Definitely looking like a total loss. Left quarter panel bent in the back, internal framework busted, both fenders damaged, right front wheel was knocked out of alignment so may have damaged control arm/suspension.

Car is getting towed to collision center. Will find out next steps!

Attachments

• E9BED0A2-C930-4C53-B268-8CC8D0F53F0F.jpeg
    E9BED0A2-C930-4C53-B268-8CC8D0F53F0F.jpeg
    711.1 KB · Views: 91
  • A999B1DC-2FB2-4683-8D4C-D274770784A6.jpeg
    A999B1DC-2FB2-4683-8D4C-D274770784A6.jpeg
    471.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 43871624-01AD-4961-9AEC-CBD515D79274.jpeg
    43871624-01AD-4961-9AEC-CBD515D79274.jpeg
    534.2 KB · Views: 69
  • E6B335E2-236C-41EA-B41D-80BCE0F6B690.jpeg
    E6B335E2-236C-41EA-B41D-80BCE0F6B690.jpeg
    836.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 9B0B84AD-81F9-4033-BE71-52599CACF3B0.jpeg
    9B0B84AD-81F9-4033-BE71-52599CACF3B0.jpeg
    461.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
I would also keep track of any time you spend dealing with it to try and bill them back for your time too. Remember they hit you it’s up to them to make you whole.
Other than a Diminished Value Claim, any other ways I can get more money out of it?
Assuming total loss, I’m definitely gonna argue for my fair share of comp including compensating for cost of window tinting and taxes I’ve paid on the vehicle. Would Carvana be a good starting point for fair value of car?

Went to the storage lot, took another look.
Definitely looking like a total loss. Left quarter panel bent in the back, internal framework busted, both fenders damaged, right front wheel was knocked out of alignment so may have damaged control arm/suspension.

Car is getting towed to collision center. Will find out next steps!
Looks like four corners' worth of damage. It's now a battery pack/parts donor IMO.

New Vehicle Replacement (or whatever your insurance company calls it) is usually an extra charge but can be well worth its cost.

Depending on the specifics, a car that is less than X model years old or under Y miles will be replaced with a new model. I have it on both our vehicles and it also includes gap insurance along with the new vehicle replacement.

Too late if you didn't have it on your wrecked Tesla but might be something to consider for your next car.

Other than a Diminished Value Claim, any other ways I can get more money out of it?
Assuming total loss, I’m definitely gonna argue for my fair share of comp including compensating for cost of window tinting and taxes I’ve paid on the vehicle. Would Carvana be a good starting point for fair value of car?
Maybe collect data for retail values from KBB, Edmunds, Truecar, Carfax, etc. as well as actual cars for sale and take an average to get a fair idea of what it’s worth. Getting compensated for window tinting, maybe. Taxes, prob not, but can’t hurt to try.

It's totaled so there won't be any diminished value claim. You'll get paid for the entire car's value.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Look into diminished value compensation from the trucking company

1000% Always get diminished value if it isn't your insurance. If it's your own then your policy will just go up.

My wife's M3 got hit by a delivery truck in August. 6k damage to door and ripped off side mirror. Didn't seem that much. Was able to drive while waiting for parts but took 5 months to get it back.

The insurance company "doesn't offer" diminished value but was told by the Commercial Insurance rep "but if you present" for DV we will have to consider. I paid $600 for a "professional" report that included photos from accident, values of the car, the CarFax that showed the car/vin was in an accident....about a 30 page report.

Asked for $9600 based on report and within 48 hours after their appraiser reviewed settled for $7900. The M3 LRP cost us $39,900 when we got it so I was good with that. We will keep hers for a loooooong time anyway.
Door was "torn" and lots unseen damaged on inside as well as trims and the window with had a deep gouge. Original estimate was 4k but when they opened up the door they had to add more parts.

A couple photos from the dash cam.

Image 3-16-23 at 8.41 PM.jpeg
Image 3-16-23 at 8.42 PM.jpeg
Image 3-16-23 at 8.42 PM.jpeg

Image 3-16-23 at 8.53 PM.jpeg

kKtDmm2ISre6fwnuJ9LfPA.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
Did it happen because of a phantom braking?
Curious.
No, 100% fault of truck driver.

I filed it through my own insurance. Hopefully with successful subrogation my premiums won’t go up.

Just figured since i have Tesla Insurance and there is a Tesla Collision Center close by I would get better service instead of being bounced around different body shops for lowest quote.

just waiting on Tesla Collision center to start working on the car. Been sitting in their lot the last two days.

• Disagree
Reactions: BMWM3Man and enemji
No, 100% fault of truck driver.

I filed it through my own insurance. Hopefully with successful subrogation my premiums won’t go up.

Just figured since i have Tesla Insurance and there is a Tesla Collision Center close by I would get better service instead of being bounced around different body shops for lowest quote.

just waiting on Tesla Collision center to start working on the car. Been sitting in their lot the last two days.

WHY would you file through your insurance? Maybe I missed it was the driver uninsured? Your rates WILL GO UP. I called my agent and he told me not to even mention it to my insurance. A truck driver had insurance I'd think.

Also don't sit around waiting...it will be 6 months plus I bet if they can repair the car.

Last edited:
WHY would you file through your insurance? Maybe I missed it was the driver uninsured? Your rates WILL GO UP. I called my agent and he told me not to even mention it to my insurance. A truck driver had insurance I'd think.

Also don't sit around waiting...it will be 6 months plus I bet if they can repair the car.

Perhaps that depends on company, I was side swiped some years back by someone who tried to run. I got their tag # and called my insurance with the tag # plus other info I got from calling the police during my 'chase' of them to get the tag #. Anyway when the offender was contacted, they admitted they had indeed hit and tried to run; their company picked up all the costs and I was even eligible for a loaner . My insurance did all the paperwork and such and I didn't have to do anything and no rate change from that event.

Reactions: DocHolliday
Perhaps that depends on company, I was side swiped some years back by someone who tried to run. I got their tag # and called my insurance with the tag # plus other info I got from calling the police during my 'chase' of them to get the tag #. Anyway when the offender was contacted, they admitted they had indeed hit and tried to run; their company picked up all the costs and I was even eligible for a loaner . My insurance did all the paperwork and such and I didn't have to do anything and no rate change from that event.

Maybe. But that doesn't sound like your insurance paid the other person's did which makes sense.

Reactions: Msjulie
The Tesla is a write off...the good news is that the truck is repairable....bad joke...important things to remember...you are all safe, the car did it’s job....the loss adjuster is your enemy, get used to fighting him.
Do you have a new for old policy ?