Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended.. minor damage but don’t know what to do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My X was rear ended a few months ago with fairly minor damage (around $5k). The other driver opted to pay out of pocket (clearly was his fault), including the cost of a rental car for me while it was in the shop.

The body shop offered him a 15% discount for cash payment.
  • It saved him money and kept his record clean.
  • I didn't have to deal with a diminished value claim.
  • The body shop didn't have to deal with insurance companies.

Only advice if you go this route is to make sure you have something in writing from the other driver acknowledging liability and that they are paying for it. If they don't pay up, then it will be much easier to go after their insurance company. And make sure you use a Tesla-approved body shop.
Bonnie did you have to way long for parts? Right now its a nightmare with delays and procurement issues.

OP, you are putting the cart before the horse.
Step #1: Find out if the counter-party has any desire to pay out of pocket.
Step #2: If yes, find out maximum out of pocket
Step #3, If reasonable amount (say, $4k), follow Bonnie's advice
Step #4, If yes, go to a couple shops and get quotes
The person who hit me looked like a college student. I'm sure she isn't willing to pay more than $400

So I just got rear ended by someone I believe who was texting and driving. She was nice and admitted fault, cooperated and gave me her registration and license and license plate number. The damage is fairly minor but Im not sure what to do. I did spend a lot of money on the car but I was hoping someone could give me some validation of whether I should file a claim with my insurance or not. The downside I see is anytime you get insurance involved wither party's rates can increase and I'll have an accident marked. If I do nothing then I have to live with an eye sore on the rear bumper of my brand new 60k car.. Really appreciate any feedback.

View attachment 314390 View attachment 314391 View attachment 314392

Yikes. Dunno if it’s just me but it looks like you directly hit one of the ultrasonic sensors?

Bonnie did you have to way long for parts? Right now its a nightmare with delays and procurement issues.
Not at all - it was about 3 weeks from accident to back in my driveway. They had to replace a few parts plus repaint the back bumper panel and hatch panel. The shop had it for a week, plus you had time upfront where they were figuring out what parts were needed ... so maybe a week and a half for the parts to arrive.

The person who hit me looked like a college student. I'm sure she isn't willing to pay more than $400

If she had insurance you shouldn’t be dealing with it. Did you get her insurance info?

File a claim with your insurance and let them deal with it... that’s what you are paying premiums for. As she hit you from the rear you should have zero out of pocket expense and zero increase in premiums from this event.

Our Nanny was rear ended while driving one of our vehicles a couple of years ago in which the bumper cover suffered some minor damage. They insisted on paying out of pocket and we tried to be nice and said sure, as long as it is wrapped up properly we will do that for you.

Big mistake. What looked like minor damage ended up being a $3,000 repair. Plus car rental while our car was fixed. Then they griped about the big bill during the holidays and sent us a check that bounced.

Ultimately we did get them to cough up but it was not worth our time, aggravation or floating the repair costs for almost sixty days trying to be “nice”.

Next time they get reported to insurance. F them.

people are nice up front but tend to change their minds about being nice later. I find insurance to be the easiest route, after all that's why you pay then the big bucks. Call your agent to verify your rates will not go up if they will claim 100% fault.

But if you feel they will honestly pay for a new bumper you can skip insurance, it's just hard to recommend that route in general.

i hope you took pictures.

I got bumped from behind 9 days after delivery a couple of weeks ago. She didn’t want to put it through insurance as it appeared this wasn’t an isolated incident. She was clearly at fault as I was stopped at a red light. I filed a report with the OPP and put it through insurance. Her insurance admitted fault. Confirmed zero effect on my insurance and record. Sucks but in my case at the end of the day it’s just a bumper cover. No sheet metal damage. Hard to see but a horizontal crease from the underlying bumper and a licence plate imprint along with the chips and displaced sensor.

EA4A38EB-9CAE-47A2-9662-0046C39984F6.jpeg

Yikes. Dunno if it’s just me but it looks like you directly hit one of the ultrasonic sensors?
Actually no, no ultrasonic sensor there. That was the screw of her license plate that punctured the front so you can actually see the imprint of the circle which makes it look like the sensor. It's purely just plastic pushed in essentially :-/ If ultrasonic sensors I'd be very upset hahaa

I just can't understand why OP would not go through insurance for such an accident where it's so obvious who's at fault. It's a brand new $60k car, full of sensors and whatnot. I'd only do it through insurance, even for a piece of mind. Getting the "at fault party" pay out of pocket is something you do to fix your 10 years old Toyota with faded paint for $300. Not a new Tesla.

Reactions: derkan
I just can't understand why OP would not go through insurance for such an accident where it's so obvious who's at fault. It's a brand new $60k car, full of sensors and whatnot. I'd only do it through insurance, even for a piece of mind. Getting the "at fault party" pay out of pocket is something you do to fix your 10 years old Toyota with faded paint for $300. Not a new Tesla.
Well I'm conflicted because the car was going probably 2-3mph just rolling into my car when there was a stop light - this is a very slow speed. If I report something this menial to her insurance, it could very well show up on the carfax report which devalues my car as opposed to if I were able to get it buffed out then it would be no difference to me. What other sensors could possibly be damaged? There are only two ultrasonic sensors in the rear to my knowledge and the are off center - she hit me directly in the center as that is where her bumper plate was. That is why I'm conflicted...

Do not count on it not effecting your insurance. My daughter’s premiums went up after someone hit her legally parked Prius. The other party’s insurance paid for all of the damage. Her insurance company (Travelers) said it meant she was driving and parking in higher risk areas than they had anticipated and raised her premiums.

My insurance didn't go up both times i got hot and was not in the car (once or twicetwi both my last vehicles). actually i have never owned a new car that someone didn't hit or vandalize in the first year of ownership now that i think about it. Both hits were in residential areas too. once while it was in the driveway!

Well I'm conflicted because the car was going probably 2-3mph
just rolling into my car when there was a stop light - this is a very slow speed.
If I report something this menial to her insurance, it could very well show up on the carfax report
which devalues my car as opposed to if I were able to get it buffed out
then it would be no difference to me.
What other sensors could possibly be damaged?
There are only two ultrasonic sensors in the rear to my knowledge and the are off center
- she hit me directly in the center as that is where her bumper plate was.
That is why I'm conflicted...

Most important you don't get injured.

If so, you should get three estimates from different Tesla affiliated body shop, and negociate with the other party.
(This will save time, headache, and any worry you mentioned about insurrance and car value)

I got back ended at a stop sign more than ten years ago.
- I talked with the other driver and agree that there was no noticeable visible damage.
It was not a painted bumper, this was a natural black color, plastic cover.
- I asked the driver for insurrance information anyway just in case
but she ran away when she returned to her car to get her purse.

I made a police report and contacted my insurrance.
The next day I weak up with a neck pain from the whiplash injury.

I then have to deal with insurrance and get a lawyer.
The other party insurrance 'Farmer' were atroucious.
- They wrote a report that I stoped (at a stop sign) for no reason....

So you can imagine the type of dialogue I had
while I have to wear a neck brace for months.

Still many years later, I still feel some pain.
Reason For Chronic Neck Pain After Whiplash Finally Confirmed.

Last edited:
Go through insurance. It is gonna cost way more than $400 to repair. My wife's car was delivered the beginning of February. Three weeks later she was backing out of the garage and the edge of the rear bumper cover tapped a car that had parked in the driveway. The bumper had a slight dent that looked like it could be popped out by removing the bumper and pushing it from the inside while heating with a hot air gun. No paint damage to the bumper.

However, it turns out that under the bumper there are plastic pieces and one of them cracked. She is still waiting for the part from Tesla. In the meantime the shop popped out the dent in the bumper, ordered the plastic parts and reassembled the bumper so she can drive the car. When the part comes in (Tesla estimated to take up to 6 months, it's been 4 months so far) they will remove the bumper and finish the job. Repair cost was just under $3,000.00. The car is insanely expensive to repair.

Go through insurance. It is gonna cost way more than $400 to repair. My wife's car was delivered the beginning of February. Three weeks later she was backing out of the garage and the edge of the rear bumper cover tapped a car that had parked in the driveway. The bumper had a slight dent that looked like it could be popped out by removing the bumper and pushing it from the inside while heating with a hot air gun. No paint damage to the bumper.

However, it turns out that under the bumper there are plastic pieces and one of them cracked. She is still waiting for the part from Tesla. In the meantime the shop popped out the dent in the bumper, ordered the plastic parts and reassembled the bumper so she can drive the car. When the part comes in (Tesla estimated to take up to 6 months, it's been 4 months so far) they will remove the bumper and finish the job. Repair cost was just under $3,000.00. The car is insanely expensive to repair.
6 months is just straight insane!

OK I ended up going through her insurance since the quote for the damage was roughly $1700. Now that insurance is involved, has anyone had any experience filing for diminished value of a car? Is that something I'm able to do and how would I go about that?