Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended - Parts 6-8 months out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Radial

Jun 21, 2020
Fl
My 2019 Model 3 was recently rear ended. The body shop the car is currently at is local and well known for great work has found the parts needed are 6-8 months out! The shop though is NOT Tesla certified. Does anyone know if Tesla certified shops are able to get parts in more quickly?

My 2019 Model 3 was recently rear ended. The body shop the car is currently at is local and well known for great work has found the parts needed are 6-8 months out! The shop though is NOT Tesla certified. Does anyone know if Tesla certified shops are able to get parts in more quickly?
Yes they will be able to get the sooner, much sooner. Still look at reviews and pick the best one, but the Tesla very places do not only know how to “work” on the Tesla but know how to get parts.

Tesla is a little monopolistic on this and hopefully will develop a parts network as the company matures more.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
You need to go to a Tesla certified repair shop. They are set up to access parts from Tesla and also have access to their tech support if they have questions or need help. Tesla vehicles have a lot of tech in them that an untrained repair shop may not be equipped to deal with.

Definitely go with a Tesla Certified shop.

They also have techs with special training on how to deal safely with the electrical systems.

Also, how bad was your damage? If no metal paintwork was involved, Tesla may be able to fix it while you wait, though it'll take 3 weeks for an appointment. That was the case when we were rear-ended.

For liability issue, the car needs to be put on 'Service Mode' when working on the car.
This might be needed also to recalibrate the rear sensors installed inside the bumper.

If it is just to replace a cover bumper, and the sensors are not damaged, a non certified shop could do it,
but if there is any aluminium panels damaged, then those need to be replaced.
If the rear quarter panel needs to be replace, then the roof needs to be removed, and the air bags need to be deactivated.

Anyway, if you get rear ended, it's the other party insurance problem. Get a police report and let your insurance handle the repairs.
One issue is to get a rental car reimbursement, in general insurances cover only 30 days while it might take several months to get your car back.

Welcome to Tesla ownership. I had a very minor deer strike in my MS last Fall. Took it to a Tesla Certified shop. Still took 3 months to get the parts (hood, front fender, bumper, plus a few things behind the bumper like mounting arms and things). At one point the parts sat in Dallas for 3 weeks waiting for a shipping label to be created.

This was all pre-COVID.

I went almost 10 years of Tesla ownership without anything like this. I would read the threads here with some skepticism. But I can tell you that it is a question of when, not if.

Lesson learned about going with a Tesla certified shop. Tesla would not sell two of the many needed parts to the non-certified shop. I believe these two parts are structural. Tesla was very uncooperative with the non-certified shop and I've lost nearly a week just waiting for Tesla to return calls and emails. The car is now on its way to a certified shop.

@M3BlueGeorgia, damage to me looked pretty substantial. I'm still not sure if they will find any issues with the battery or motors. I was pushed half way across a median where the car then sat on the battery waiting for the tow truck.https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/members/m3bluegeorgia.92327/

• Informative
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia