Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While that is horrible they cut wait times by 50%!

Now they need to cut it by 50% 4 more times.

If you say that you are going to cut my leg into 4 pieces and then change your mind and improve to 2 pieces.....have you really helped me?

Or if you cut my cyanide dosage from 100% potency to 50% potency....have you helped me when it only takes 10% potency to kill me?

Sometimes a 50% increase really isn't helpful at all.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar and P85_DA
If you say that you are going to cut my leg into 4 pieces and then change your mind and improve to 2 pieces.....have you really helped me?

Or if you cut my cyanide dosage from 100% potency to 50% potency....have you helped me when it only takes 10% potency to kill me?

Sometimes a 50% increase really isn't helpful at all.
Don't get me wrong as the current situation is dogshit and unacceptable. I am hopeful they will keep moving it in the correct direction though.

I’m in a similar situation, although my car is drivable. Just kinda embarrassing to drive around with a smashed up left rear quarter panel and bumper. So I’m extremely sympathetic to the situation, but also know that it’s highly related to growing pains of Tesla. Not an excuse, but kind of feel like complaining is tilting at windmills.

**************** Update ***************
Ok....

Got my estimate today.

Here is a pic. Guess how much this cost to repair AND how many parts ( pieces ) are going to be ordered.

Lets see who can get the closest.

car.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Ever since I got rear ended I don't fear it anymore. Yes, I will be inconvenienced waiting for parts and having a loaner but the other guy is going to suffer more financial misery than I will. I will also keep my M3 until M3 battery range gets to 600 -700 miles before I sell it for an upgrade so hopefully by that time, depreciation will make any negative Carfax history moot.

Btw really sorry you have to go through this, bud. Glad you're ok.

I got rear ended in my MS the day after I took delivery (less than 24 hrs later) and it was in the shop for around 6 months. At the time, I was communicating Jon McNeil directly through the process as the process dragged on and on... and even still the result in the end was the worst car ownership experience I've ever had in my life. To me, this is the single biggest flaw in Tesla's infrastructure and business model. Fortunately for them I gave in and still got a M3 (which I absolutely love, > my S), but I'm really having a hard time pulling the trigger on a MX for my wife bc of this fear. I think I called Jon so much that Tesla created the "body shop hotline" where people could call about their body shop woes. This was before Elon had stated he wants to fix the repair delay issues with a new body shop initiative.

I see you got your rental situation covered though, that's HUGE. If the other party is at fault, def go through the other insurance directly, and not through your own insurance for subrogation, as that's the key to getting a rental that covers the full time of the repairs.

This was my thread a few yrs ago. I couldn't even login here to update during the wait bc it would just make me upset. I'm sad that despite all the talk of improving collision work we're still dealing with this crap. My brother's S got hit recently mainly just bumper damage and it took 2 months in Pomona CA. Ridiculous.

Best of luck man, I usually avoid these kinds of threads because it gives me flashbacks and the anger starts to swell inside all over again.

Btw really sorry you have to go through this, bud. Glad you're ok.

I got rear ended in my MS the day after I took delivery (less than 24 hrs later) and it was in the shop for around 6 months. At the time, I was communicating Jon McNeil directly through the process as the process dragged on and on... and even still the result in the end was the worst car ownership experience I've ever had in my life. To me, this is the single biggest flaw in Tesla's infrastructure and business model. Fortunately for them I gave in and still got a M3 (which I absolutely love, > my S), but I'm really having a hard time pulling the trigger on a MX for my wife bc of this fear. I think I called Jon so much that Tesla created the "body shop hotline" where people could call about their body shop woes. This was before Elon had stated he wants to fix the repair delay issues with a new body shop initiative.

I see you got your rental situation covered though, that's HUGE. If the other party is at fault, def go through the other insurance directly, and not through your own insurance for subrogation, as that's the key to getting a rental that covers the full time of the repairs.

This was my thread a few yrs ago. I couldn't even login here to update during the wait bc it would just make me upset. I'm sad that despite all the talk of improving collision work we're still dealing with this crap. My brother's S got hit recently mainly just bumper damage and it took 2 months in Pomona CA. Ridiculous.

Best of luck man, I usually avoid these kinds of threads because it gives me flashbacks and the anger starts to swell inside all over again.

Dude,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Its very encouraging that someone else understands what I'm going through.

Reactions: BCNY
Wow!!! That's a rarity that moves the numbers towards the positive...for sure.

You should call the Tesla body shop associates and tell them that they are wrong.

That would be fair.

I'm pretty sure nobody here knows how rare or common these cases are.

What we do know is that negative stories tend to be the most prevalent on public forums. And that information from individuals at Tesla is rarely consistent.

Are you a NY lawyer specialized in NY lemon law?

My rear glass cracked out of nowhere, like several others in this forum. It is covered in warranty. I'm afraid of driving the car and having the complete rear glass shatter over my rear passengers.

FWIW, I'm not a NY lawyer specializing in NY lemon law- but the law is pretty simple to read.

It would apply in your case IF-

• The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.
AND does not fall under this exception-
Exceptions when manufacturers may not be required to provide a refund or replacement:

• The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer

So really your fear isn't relevant- but the actual problem is.

If it's just a cosmetic crack and not something that'd genuinely spread, it would not be covered by the law since it's not really taking the car "out of service" while waiting for parts- and it doesn't really substantially impair the value while waiting.

If it's something that genuinely makes the car dangerous to drive however (a deep and/or spreading one that reduces the safety of the vehicle to operate) then it would be.

Presumably you'd need something like expert testimony (like a sign affidavidt from a 3rd party glass repair place) to confirm it's the second type of issue and not the first.... (unless Tesla has already said it's the 2nd kind, but since it sounds like you're still driving it it doesn't seem like that's the case to them)

Ok....

Got my estimate today

I’m going to go with $14k. Let’s see.

All this said, it’s not the same scale, but my Cadillac was out of service for 2 weeks waiting on a lower control arm. Very common part - same exact part number used on the XT5 and the popular GMC Acadia as well. The dealer told me it was on National backorder because every one made was being used on the assembly line.

Sound familiar?

Tesla is learning a pretty big lesson ... “Logistics be hard!”

I really hope the new warehouse/stamping plant in Fremont helps things, because this current situation is untenable.

My rear glass cracked out of nowhere, like several others in this forum. It is covered in warranty. I'm afraid of driving the car and having the complete rear glass shatter over my rear passengers.

Good luck... You can't just drop you car off. I mean, you can, but that won't start your 30 (business) day clock because they won't be accepting the car for repair at that time and it will be on you if the car is damaged sitting in their parking lot waiting for parts. If you didn't opt out of arbitration, you'll need to go through that first. Sorry for the frustrating experience. If it makes you feel any better, I sprayed my car off and my windshield cracked and ran me a grand since they wouldn't cover it and I didn't have glass coverage. Also, they damaged every piece of glass on the car and every piece of glass had to be replaced... And those are just my glass experiences :)

My co-worker has a Chevy something, 2014ish. One of the super common economyish cars. Turbo went out on him, under warranty. Been waiting 2+ weeks. Chevy is not providing a rental or a loaner or anything to him. His is a one car family. I know that 2 weeks and counting is nothing compared to 3-4 months, but it just illustrates that it really isn't just Tesla that has these kind of problems.

Not sure if we've spoken together before, but I'm in NY and had my rear glass replaced in about two weeks, got it back last month. I wrote about it here: Replacing Rear Glass after Stress Crack Formed . At no time was I concerned with the glass shattering or water leaking, as I believe the fracture was only in a single layer.

Ok....

Got my estimate today.

Here is a pic. Guess how much this cost to repair AND how many parts ( pieces ) are going to be ordered.

Lets see who can get the closest.

View attachment 418280

Is this competition still ongoing?
I would guess $22k.
You need:
Bumper cover
Rear camera assembly (though it is probably not damaged)
Rear latch & latch release assembly
Rear latch striker plate.
Reflectors for the bumper cover
Rear diffuser
Trunk lid & reflectors/lights, hinges, interior trim pieces for trunk lid, etc.
Trunk seal
Spoiler & badge
Crash bar
A large plastic mount that is hanging out in front of the crash bar behind the bumper cover.
If the rear lights are damaged at all (clips, etc.) you'll need one or two of those.
Wiring harness/parking sensor assembly
Lots of clips & bolts.
Interior trim for trunk floor if damaged (probably is)

I don't know the exact count for number of parts here, though...depends on how you count, whether you are counting bolts, etc. Maybe 11 major parts? If you count every one it's more like 40 parts I guess.

They'll do a pull of the interior steel section of the trunk, and then presumably tap it out as needed (I'm assuming they're not going to cut it away and weld on some new part). They might have to do repairs around the rear trunk lid attachments as well, depends on whether it bent/shifted there.

I'm assuming there is no damage near the trunk lid attachments. Also assuming no damage to the rear window from the trunk lid as it got pushed around. Hard to know without more pictures.

However, it's not clear to me why this car is not drivable. If it were mine (it exactly matches my build!), given the state of Tesla parts, I would DEFINITELY be trying to drive it. Note: I'm not saying it is drivable. I would just try to figure out why I can't drive it, and make absolutely sure it is impossible.

If it's not drivable due to drive unit or suspension damage or something else that the car has picked up as an error (blew a pyro fuse, etc.), then that is going to drive up the price of the repair considerably. (I'm assuming some damage like that in my $22k estimate, since you're not driving the car, and you said it said it was inoperable on the screen.) In the absence of those issues, this car should drive very well, though you would need to avoid rain.

I hope you get your car back soon.

Last edited: