TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Garlan Garner, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Thanks

2. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Active Member

We'd have to see the full breakdown of labor costs in a legible format to start to compare. Keep in mind his is $10k worth of labor, $5k worth of parts.

• Like x 1
  3. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Anything you can do to help me.....I would appreciate it.

4. AlanSubie4Life

Based on above from @VT_EE, they could do a teardown estimate (and it might be advisable so that they get ALL the parts on order), at the shop, and then put it all back together and you can drive it off.

I'm not sure of all the logistics here, but in the end the first thing is to render the car drivable again. Then it's a lot easier to decide how to proceed and with what timing. That's the first priority as far as I can tell. Just my opinion, and what I would do.

5. AlanSubie4Life

Note that this is the adjuster estimate, not the shop estimate.

As far as the cost differences, my thought is that it's possible that it takes a lot longer to pull apart and reconstruct a trunk than it takes to unbolt and reassemble parts of the front. It all depends on how the car is put together and what was damaged.

I would guess that most of that 90 hours of labor in his case is going to be spent dismantling and reassembling the trunk area.

• Like x 1
  6. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

My seat belts are locked in place. All I know is that the driver belt won't move in our out.

7. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Don't need to be an expert. The body shop tells you they won't start work on the car until they have xyz parts. Tesla says they sent xyz to the body shop. Part xy is received but z is not received. Tesla's great system shows it as shipped but doesn't have tracking info. Only with multiple emails, on my end, did the part get re-shipped, overnight. The repair was then able to start. Yes, the body shop would have eventually looked into this; however, it would have likely been delayed the total repair by at least a few weeks, as everything on their end and Teslas end looked good. It took a few very stern emails and demands to get the part and for them to acknowledge the issues.

8. Hammer@OR.US

[email protected] What a long strange trip its been.

9. AlanSubie4Life

Well, I'm not an expert on this, but that does suggest the pre-tensioner went off (you probably would have smelled something as it uses a small explosive charge, I think), and that is bad as far as driving it off the lot...however, I would imagine it would be possible to replace ONLY that (if you could get the parts!) and then drive it off. But that's a much bigger ask and a lot more complicated than what I was suggesting earlier. :(

The chances of driving your car off and waiting for parts has gone down, with that information, sadly.

If anyone here knows about other options for pre-tensioners, they could speak up, but in general, for safety, you want that to be fully operational and replaced before you drive the vehicle.

• Like x 1
  10. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Yes...Yes I did!!!

I didn't know where that smell was coming from.

It smelled like electronics were burning.

11. AlanSubie4Life

Yeah, not surprising. This is the reason all the seat belt parts are in your list.

Anyway, I am sure replacing it is completely trivial, and if you could get access to the parts (we know how that goes!), the body shop could do it.

But as I said, that's logistically very difficult and a big ask for a body shop to do one part of the repair and then release the car while waiting for more parts, and totally non-standard...etc. Wouldn't hurt to ask though!

Sorry man.

• Like x 1
  12. AlanSubie4Life

#292 AlanSubie4Life, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Another thought...it's not 100% out of the question that you could get this car totaled - and it might not be that bad for you. I showed a picture of the damage to my brother who's an experienced GEICO adjuster and he said it is possible it is totaled (not guaranteed though).

Factors:
    1) This is an adjuster estimate and will likely go up. I would not be surprised if it goes over $20k; it's a labor intensive repair due to the (apparent) trunk intrusion. (If there's actually minimal intrusion the costs could go down a lot I suppose...)

2) The salvage value of this vehicle is likely quite high because the nature of the damage is quite minimal - replace the seat belt pretensioner and it looks like it is probably completely driveable. That makes it worth a lot of money.

3) If you make it clear you will be claiming diminished value after repair (and you should make your intent clear, though the claim should actually be made after the repair is complete), that is a cost the insurance will have to account for.

4) The storage fees will likely be extremely high.

5) The rental fees are likely to be quite high.

The fair market value (FMV) of the vehicle...I don't know...that will depend...it can be looked up but it will still be pretty high (though you may not be made whole - but remember the tax credit you (hopefully) got isn't directly counted against you in the total payout so that helps - and you get to claim another one (if you can get them to move quickly you might be able to get $3750...I'm sure Tesla would love to deliver a P3D+)).

Anyway, if ( FMV - Salvage Value < All other costs listed above ), then the insurance company potentially has to think about it. They have to pay one or the other, and they'll pay whichever one is less, in a perfect world!

That salvage value being high therefore could help you (or hurt you, depending on what you want). I wouldn't think it is LIKELY, but it is possible taking into account these factors. I have no idea; I'm not saying one way or another what is going to happen.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  13. Superspectral

Superspectral Member

Unrelated to the OP - just my own story.

Body shop called and said they received front bumper cover and associated parts. Took about 3 weeks. So, by the end of next week my creased bumper should be fixed.

I am more upset that I'm driving with a cracked front window and it has been 5 weeks and going to get a new front window.

14. cbrigante2

cbrigante2 Member

Here is the labor/parts cost breakdown: Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 8.58.44 PM.png

15. cbrigante2

cbrigante2 Member

The windshield replacement took a while for my parts list, but it came faster than the retainer clips for the airbags. :)

16. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

In a total he’d lose

FUSC
    Lifetime premium LTE (could be a thing)
    Early access FSD (could be a thing)

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. cbrigante2

cbrigante2 Member

I would guess a "totaling" of the Model 3 would be based on damage to the battery pack itself or to the protective structure surrounding it. I got lucky on mine that neither were damaged (it was a relatively low speed impact, but it was with the hitch side of a high riding pickup truck). A side note. My adjuster had it at around $13k total. The repair shop bumped it up a couple grand on some replacement parts needed on the rear bumper.

18. cbrigante2

cbrigante2 Member

Garlan, again I would only suggest an email to Body Shop Support, polite in tone, to at least get included in the loop on ETAs of parts to the repair shop. It will save you thinking nothing is happening at least. I think the general consensus in here lately is around 2 months seems to be average. Let your insurance fight the guilty's insurance over the details. That's their job.

19. AlanSubie4Life

Yep. All that plays into FMV except maybe FUSC.

20. dmurphy

dmurphy EV: Converted.

... and even that, I think you might be able to showcase the $5,000 PUP refund as an approximate value for FUSC.