TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Garlan Garner, Jun 5, 2019.

1. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

I was May 21st. You waiting on parts?

2. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

#402 Garlan Garner, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Right now waiting on repair.

Its been a nightmare.

I wish I could have taken my car where you took yours.

• Like x 2
  3. super20g

super20g Member

Man, 2+ months in already. Sorry :/

Looking forward to a positive 'all is right in the world again' follow up hopefully soon...

• Like x 1
  4. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

Hang in there. I was worried the car wouldn’t be the same, but it actually turned out better in some aspects. My rear bumper fits tighter than it used to, and the white paint matches better. You would never know it was in a wreck. Insurance even paid to have the ceramic put on again. If only they hadn’t gotten that residue on all the interior trim, it would be perfect.

• Like x 1
  5. billionaiire

billionaiire Member

Hit on May 7 while Parked. Quarter panel and bumper on driver side replaced. Glass broke too so they replaced that. Car dropped off on June 28.

Picked up the car on Aug 8. Outstanding work with pearl white color matching and repairs. The only minor nuances are that there’s a very slight rattle from pillar B and a slight panel gap when the trunk closes. No leakages observes thus far after they washed the car. Scheduled Tesla appointment to reduce the rattle by possibly checking the insulation in the pillar and roof divider beam where the lamp is fit and around the window molding. All fixable as body shop has lifetime guarantee.

Total cost of repairs $17k

DV claim in progress.

6. cucubits

cucubits Member

How does a DV claim work in these cases? Do you get a % of the total repairs or the calculation is based on the current value of the car?

7. billionaiire

billionaiire Member

Severity of repairs measured based on the repair costs, age of car, miles on the car, etc. I don't know the algorithm but it can't be great for the car owner I am almost certain. And there's probably no room for any negotiation. And hiring attorney for for a couple of thousand dollars is not something worth most people's time.

8. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

I’m right there with you. DV appraisal next week.

• Like x 1
  9. Garlan Garner

What does DV stand for?

10. outdoors

outdoors Not so well known

Diminished Value

11. Garlan Garner

Is everyone privy to a DV claim in an accident?

12. billionaiire

billionaiire Member

Depends on your state. Assuming you’re in USA

13. Garlan Garner

Illinois ( Chicagoland )

14. Garlan Garner

Below is an update and comes from a discussion about insurance in another thread.

This is a pic from my original accident on June 5th 2019. Underneath there was a bend on the part where the metal bumper underneath attaches to the frame rail. In the "old days" you could probably have heated it up and taken some vise grips and a mallet and just straightened it back out.

car.jpg

But NO! Tesla won't allow ANYTHING to be straightned back out. You have to replace the entire frame rail section ( circled in yellow ) and do it with via the process/procedure they provide. I circled the small area where bend was in RED, YEP - indeed.....there was a small bend of about 5 degrees where that bolt in RED is - caused everything to be torn apart. They had to replace the entire frame rail section ( circled in yellow - still in army green primer ) which required them to remove the entire rear of the car....even removing the welds and everything for the back trunk bucket.

Just an FYI....Audi and Porsche don't require this. They allow you to bend that frame rail back in place. ( lower insurance rates )

Anyway, This is 9+ weeks in.

detail.jpg
    For the shop to keep it's "Tesla certification" they had to follow ALL of Tesla's directions and instructions - which I had a chance to see. Its a 70 page manual for just the rear frame - counting every bolt and rivet and weld.

When done - my car will be able to withstand all of the crash test ratings of a brand new Tesla. That seems to be Tesla's goal even with repairs.

Is that more expensive than a normal ICE car's repair procedure? Probably, but that's what I want.

Its just my prerogative that I want to know that my insurance company would cover me if I need them to. Fortunately for me - the insurance company of the lady who hit me is covering all of this - even my $43 per day rental for 3 months or so.

Folks - when stepping up to Tesla level transport - its not only about premiums when it comes to insurance.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  15. cbrigante2

cbrigante2 Member

Glad to see it's finally getting worked on for you. I'm about ready to give my baby it's first wash since it's repaint. I think it's had more than enough time to properly cure.

16. billionaiire

billionaiire Member

Before repairs:

upload_2019-8-15_10-5-39.png

After repairs:

upload_2019-8-15_10-6-1.jpeg

7 weeks in the shop.

• Informative x 3
  17. Garlan Garner

I just got my car back August 30th.

Accident was June 5th

• Informative x 1
  18. SO16

SO16 Active Member

Well...at least it was on the lower time estimate of 3 months.

• Funny x 1
  19. focher

focher Member

I hope you are including two claims, in addition to the rental and repair.

Diminished Value: the decrease in the car’s value due to having been in an accident. There are firms that can calculate this amount. Your car is worth less. They need to pay the difference.

Loss of Use: often confused with the rental reimbursement, but it’s not. In many states, the reimbursement is not just to give you alternative transport. You have a right to be reimbursed for the loss of use of a “similar” vehicle. If you have a high end vehicle, they can’t just pay your cost to drive an economy car. You can claim this even if you didn’t actually rent a comparable car. It’s about the loss of use of your own car.

• Informative x 1
  20. Garlan Garner

I don't think diminished value exists in Illinois.