Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended today. 3-4 month wait - parts not available.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know "guilty" is just enjoying her weekend and life in general.

This is really bad and no one can help.

Its depressing.
Did you post any pictures of the damage ? The reason that I am asking is that maybe the car could be repaired with used parts. None of the 3's are old enough to have any corrosion damage so why not used parts ?

Thanks @dmurphy

Right now this is the status of day 2 of this...… <------whatever you want to call it.

The lady who hit me is insured by Bristol West Insurance ( a branch of Farmers Insurance ). I provided Bristol a copy of the police report and everything that they needed.
I was going to provide them a video from the car at the point of impact. - Wouldn't you know it...…the packet of video's at the time of the incident are missing from the USB drive.
Are you kidding me? I have recordings from 5 min before the accident and 5 min after the accident. Its just getting worse.

Anyway.....its amazing that the lady who hit me is controlling the show.

You can try this to recover video lost: I wrote a script that recovers old video from TeslaCam drives, so you can access ancient footage if needed. : teslamotors

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I know "guilty" is just enjoying her weekend and life in general.

This is really bad and no one can help.

Its depressing.

It is depressing. I get it. I got rear ended while stopped at a light a year ago this week. My 3 was only 9 days old at the time. Fortunately the damage was minimal and the bumper cover could be repaired instead of replaced and there was no sheet metal damage. Hopefully TESLA comes through with the parts.

Sorry, but I feel zero sympathy for people complaining about Tesla's aftersales shortcomings. These people are part of the reason why ICE FUDsters have been so successful--they just don't do enough research before making such an expensive purchase. It's obvious that this would happen--production is exploding, supercharging is expanding much slower, and service centers are barely expanding. It's inexcusable to not be aware of this or what it means when you're putting down $50k for a car.

I've expected this by monitoring Tesla's financials since before the Model 3 went into production--a lot of more investment into production, nothing extra into services, and decreased spending on superchargers. The signs were all there years ago, and you need to pay attention to such things when buying something this expensive, especially from a new company.

With so many people getting rear ended in this thread I'm going to be so paranoid when I'm driving my model 3 :(

I wonder if there could be a feature where if you're stopped at a red and you see someone fast approaching behind you your brake lights could flash rapidly? Or the rear cameras could calculate approaching velocity and flash automatically? To just try to alert the car behind you.

Probably not feasible tbh because everyone would hate pulling up behind a Tesla. So sad that it's not preventable.

Reactions: wcfree
Sorry, but I feel zero sympathy for people complaining about Tesla's aftersales shortcomings. These people are part of the reason why ICE FUDsters have been so successful--they just don't do enough research before making such an expensive purchase. It's obvious that this would happen--production is exploding, supercharging is expanding much slower, and service centers are barely expanding. It's inexcusable to not be aware of this or what it means when you're putting down $50k for a car.

I've expected this by monitoring Tesla's financials since before the Model 3 went into production--a lot of more investment into production, nothing extra into services, and decreased spending on superchargers. The signs were all there years ago, and you need to pay attention to such things when buying something this expensive, especially from a new company.

Every group needs a troll- question - is this an automated computer generated one from Russia or a real person?

With so many people getting rear ended in this thread I'm going to be so paranoid when I'm driving my model 3 :(

I wonder if there could be a feature where if you're stopped at a red and you see someone fast approaching behind you your brake lights could flash rapidly? Or the rear cameras could calculate approaching velocity and flash automatically? To just try to alert the car behind you.

Probably not feasible tbh because everyone would hate pulling up behind a Tesla. So sad that it's not preventable.

The police could start enforcing the laws regarding safe following distances, and increase the penalties.

But since that’s never happening anywhere but fantasyland...

I've been planning my Plan B in case (hope that I am not jinxing myself right now) my S is damaged and has to sit months waiting on parts.
If my current S is not totaled, I plan to shop and buy (finance most) of a older used S, to get my by for a while. Fortunately, I have no current S monthly payment. I'll accept taking a hit on the value of the older S while waiting.

However, I will work to mitigate my loss by talking to the two involved insurance companies (theirs first, then mine if necessary) to provide me a payout towards the cost of rental car. My insurance company caps my rental allowance at $1,500. At best from mine, that is likely all I can get if they agree. But I intend to ask my agent to work in my behalf for a higher amount from "theirs". Maybe it won't work/help. I've not heard of anyone trying. But it does not change my Plan B if they don't.

After my S is fixed, I will put the older/second S up for sale. While I own it, I will work to make is better than it was when I bought it. Tires maybe, detailing it, some mods maybe. Maybe I can mitigate my loss between buying and selling. With luck total time of ownership will be less than 6 months. Maybe I won't take to bad a hit on the depreciation for just 6 months.

Why would I be willing to do this? 1) So that I am still driving a Tesla versus someone's ICE rental. 2) Life's too short (what's left) to have to deal with all the stress of what most owners go through while waiting to get their Tesla back. I've tried to put myself in the shoes of those on TMC and TM that have described their repair nightmares. I weigh those against my willingness to go through it. So, I created Plan B.
3) Having an idea - a plan of how to deal with this situation already makes me feel better. I'm a careful defensive driver, I pay attention. Please don't assume I will be even 1% less a good driver just because I have illusions of how to reduce my damaged car repairs.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Good question.

I usually don't answer a question with a question but.....

Who is going to be at fault for your increased insurance rates?

Next question after your answer...….

What can we little people do about it?
You ask very good questions.

Fault would be Tesla if insurance companies are paying $$$ for rentals and possibly outrageous storage fees due to holdup on their part.

I am curious because my rates went up two months ago. I received my car in early September (held out for dual motor) and have never been at fault in a collision ever, actually fault has always been assigned to the other person.

Last time I used insurance was 4 years ago. Not a Tesla. Someone drove their car down the side of my car in a parking lot. I got it back and less than a week later I'm at a red light stopped and someone pulls onto the road and drives into the back of my stopped car. I was pissed. Other than that I hit a deer in 1997. That's my entire collision record for the past 35 years.

I assume all the little people could do is ask for more insurance owners rights. Maybe some laws on time to repair or penalties.. give car back with no charges if not started on in x number of days? I really do not have any answers... just curious observations. For now it's pay more for insurance and receive horrible collision service.

You ask very good questions.

Fault would be Tesla if insurance companies are paying $$$ for rentals and possibly outrageous storage fees due to holdup on their part.

I am curious because my rates went up two months ago. I received my car in early September (held out for dual motor) and have never been at fault in a collision ever, actually fault has always been assigned to the other person.

Last time I used insurance was 4 years ago. Not a Tesla. Someone drove their car down the side of my car in a parking lot. I got it back and less than a week later I'm at a red light stopped and someone pulls onto the road and drives into the back of my stopped car. I was pissed. Other than that I hit a deer in 1997. That's my entire collision record for the past 35 years.

I assume all the little people could do is ask for more insurance owners rights. Maybe some laws on time to repair or penalties.. give car back with no charges if not started on in x number of days? I really do not have any answers... just curious observations. For now it's pay more for insurance and receive horrible collision service.

I wonder if it will ever get to the point where insurance companies will automatically drop you if you hit a Tesla. They automatically would have to assume if their client hit a Tesla that its going to assume $2000 in car rentals before they hand out the repair costs.
All because of the months of waiting for Tesla parts that will be built in.

1.I'm thinking Tesla needs to take a week off of producing Cars and produce about 6000 cars worth of repair parts. I know, I know that's still only a little over 100 cars per STATE, but at least....its something. Who knows....they might not even have to stock a lot of interior replacement parts because Tesla's are built like tanks. ( great job )
2. Take the stock hit in production numbers
3. Please current owners - who in turn influence potential owners....because right now I'm a very unhappy current owner an I wouldn't even wish this kind of treatment on the lady who hit me. <------- Hmmm....wait.....I'll have to think about that statement a bit.

Last edited: