Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Ended today,

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of advice. My advice is coming from my experience managing a Body Shop.
For starters, DON'T GO TO GIECO's RECOMMENDED SHOP! That shop is a GEICO approved shop, and the reason they are "Approved" is because they do the repairs cheaper, thus saving the insurance company money. Second, Tesla WILL NOT SELL CERTAIN PARTS TO NON TESLA APPROVED BODY SHOPS! and I cannot stress that enough. Next, the Tesla approved shop will More accurately be able to give a quote for repairs. The GEICO approved shop will be mostly guesstimating based on "normal" cars. If your trunk hatch is damaged, this is going to be a MAJOR REPAIR! Especially being the car is 5 days old.....
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT GO TO THEIR APPROVED SHOP! ONLY, AND I REPEAT, ONLY HAVE A TESLA APPROVED SHOP LOOK AT IT AND GIVE A ESTIMATE! By getting a Low Ball GEICO approved shop estimate, that gives GEICO a load of ammunition to fight you in repair costs down the road. Remember, THIS IS NOT A GEO METRO! THIS IS YOUR BRAND SPANKING NEW TESLA MODEL S, The most technology advanced production car in the world!

Also, MAKE SURE you have a INDEPENDENT AUTO APPRAISER come in and look at the vehicle, before AND after the repair (AND show repair receipts for the total cost of the repairs). Then follow up with GEICO for Diminished Value of the vehicle. You may even want to bring that up from the get go, as if the repair costs are high (The trunk lid is not going to be cheap, that will be a complete replacement, not repair on a 5 day old car), Plus the diminished value, may push the repairs too close to the "Totaled" mark, and you may be getting a new replacement vehicle. I know I would not settle for a repaired vehicle without A LOT of compensation (and I have personally been in this boat with my Nissan).
Just as a example on Diminished value, when my Nissan CUBE was 1 year and 4 days old, wife got rear ended at a stop light. Mind you I paid 15,400 for the car. I got $3k in diminished value, on top of the 6k they payed for repairs. Thats some good money, and that was a 1 year old econobox.

Just repeating again, DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE GEICO SHOP!

Not a Geico recommended shop. I know this for a fact. They are a Tesla approved/recommended shop. My car got backed into, and I took it there on the advice of Tesla. They did a superb job, and the repair is imperceptible. They had to replace the entire rear quarter panel due to a crack in the aluminum. Paint matching was excellent also. They had about 9 Tesla's there when I dropped mine off. They impressed me with their expertise, and they fought Geico to get all the repairs done the right way.

I'm curious, in cases like these where the other driver is clearly at fault aren't you entitled to a similar in-kind rental while your car is denied you?

Well, I'm going thru my insurance, as the person who hit me doesn't have the coverage. (Im not at fault so my premium doesn't change and I don't pay any deductible) but my rental is only $30 a day.

I could get lawyers involved and sue for the loss of use (every day my Tesla is in the shop I could prob get like $300) but the guy was a nice, apologetic young guy (25 years old), not looking to get legal involved as well as bankrupt the guy.

I just want my repaired car back.

Switching my suburban for a 5 series tomorrow, let's see how that is.

Resurrecting this thread because it talks about Geico being cooperative with the Tesla authorized body shop's rates. I just had a Geico adjustor tell the body shop that Geico will not pay the additional labor rates that the local Tesla body shop charges. Now I get to have that conversation with them.

I love insurance companies. :cursing:

Resurrecting this thread because it talks about Geico being cooperative with the Tesla authorized body shop's rates. I just had a Geico adjustor tell the body shop that Geico will not pay the additional labor rates that the local Tesla body shop charges. Now I get to have that conversation with them.

I love insurance companies. :cursing:

Recently some drug intoxicated idiot struck the car behind me which then struck the back of my model S (2015). Caused enough damage to require a bumper cover replacement (BTW Tesla parts are not shipped painted nor do they make a Titanium paint so the shop has to match it). The idiot is insured with Geico. Geico insisted that I take my car into their shop at which point they low balled the estimate. I told them I'm taking it to a Tesla certified shop.
They wanted to give me a check; I told them no. They sent me a check anyway for an insufficent amount and claimed they will pay me additional when the car is fixed. Googling Geico you will see that there are hoards of consumer plaints against them.
The real irritation is that they want to put me in a cheap mid size car while my car is in the shop. The daily rate for that car is $22. I told them that I pay $1300/month for the Tesla and I'm not about to ride around in a unsafe, gas guzzling crappy car. I wanted their "elite" rental (with enterprise) which is either a BMW, Audi or several other options. Even though I am a Geico customer and bought a policy that allows $35 dollars per day the snotty claims adjustor wouldn't put me in a better rental unless he opens up a new claim using my policy. I refused that option and told him that I will pay for the rental and if they refuse to fully reimburse me I will take them and the idiot to small claims court.
Really, I feel like I should be given a Tesla as a rental as my payments do not cease while the car is in the shop. I'm still paying the $1300/month for my Model S and while Geico trys to push me into a cheap rental car (basic seats, radio, no navigation etc.). I think the law says that the victim should be made "whole" with respect to damages but I'm no attorney. And of course they don't pay for gas (my electricity comes from solar).
I'd like to hear other Tesla owners' histories of dealing with the at fault insurance companies and especially those invoving Geico.
I never had these experiences with the Auto Club so I'm going back to them. BTW Geico quoted me a rate of $1500/year. I just got the bill and it turns out that it is $1500/every six months. I'm cancelling Geico and returning to the Auto Club who quoted me $3000/year.
Again I'm really po'd that some drug intoxicated idiot damaged my baby, err car, and now I'm being put through a hassle of wasted time and aggravation. Geico....you suck.

Just an FYI, My claim was paid through Progressive, and then subrogated through GEICO (the party at fault's insurance company).

Since then have decided to switch to State Farm, as they're much cheaper than Progressive was. Hopefully won't have to test out their claims department.

Recently some drug intoxicated idiot struck the car behind me which then struck the back of my model S (2015). Caused enough damage to require a bumper cover replacement (BTW Tesla parts are not shipped painted nor do they make a Titanium paint so the shop has to match it). The idiot is insured with Geico. Geico insisted that I take my car into their shop at which point they low balled the estimate. I told them I'm taking it to a Tesla certified shop.
They wanted to give me a check; I told them no. They sent me a check anyway for an insufficent amount and claimed they will pay me additional when the car is fixed. Googling Geico you will see that there are hoards of consumer plaints against them.
The real irritation is that they want to put me in a cheap mid size car while my car is in the shop. The daily rate for that car is $22. I told them that I pay $1300/month for the Tesla and I'm not about to ride around in a unsafe, gas guzzling crappy car. I wanted their "elite" rental (with enterprise) which is either a BMW, Audi or several other options. Even though I am a Geico customer and bought a policy that allows $35 dollars per day the snotty claims adjustor wouldn't put me in a better rental unless he opens up a new claim using my policy. I refused that option and told him that I will pay for the rental and if they refuse to fully reimburse me I will take them and the idiot to small claims court.
Really, I feel like I should be given a Tesla as a rental as my payments do not cease while the car is in the shop. I'm still paying the $1300/month for my Model S and while Geico trys to push me into a cheap rental car (basic seats, radio, no navigation etc.). I think the law says that the victim should be made "whole" with respect to damages but I'm no attorney. And of course they don't pay for gas (my electricity comes from solar).
I'd like to hear other Tesla owners' histories of dealing with the at fault insurance companies and especially those invoving Geico.
I never had these experiences with the Auto Club so I'm going back to them. BTW Geico quoted me a rate of $1500/year. I just got the bill and it turns out that it is $1500/every six months. I'm cancelling Geico and returning to the Auto Club who quoted me $3000/year.
Again I'm really po'd that some drug intoxicated idiot damaged my baby, err car, and now I'm being put through a hassle of wasted time and aggravation. Geico....you suck.

Yeah, it sucks when these things happen. I sympathize, but I think you're being too harsh about GEICO.

I have GEICO, and they were really good to me when someone crashed into my Model S. I did open a claim under my policy, because the driver that caused the crash was under-insured. I don't think it's unusual to be low-balled during the initial estimate. Just take it to your preferred shop and have them deal with the insurance company, from now on. You have a right to take it to whatever shop you want, and these shops all have people whose job it is to deal with insurance companies.

For the rental car, just open a claim against your policy! I think you're going to have to, if you want more than the rate the other driver's policy will pay. Any insurance company is going to pay for the cheapest rental they can get away with. The only way around this is to pay for better coverage (which you did) and use it.

You should have started a new thread, instead of bumping an old unrelated thread.

But to answer your question, that's what GEICO does; while it's shady, in the end everything will be A-OK. I was rear-ended (not in the Model S) a few years back, and the other guy had Geico. They did the same thing.

I talked to my body shop (I wasn't going to use the one GEICO recommended), and the body shop said I need a new bumper, but when the geico appraiser looked at the car he said that they'll ONLY pay for painting the old one.

The body shop said no problem, give them the check that Gieco wrote (for paint only), and they'll submit a work order to Gieco directly telling them they need more money to actually replace it. A few days later, they got paid the full amount for the new bumper.

I think that's just Geico's MO. "eh, just paint it, you don't need a new bumper, we'll give you the check for 1/2 the cost directly to you and you go deal with it". Body shops are used to it, and they have their ways of getting the rest of the money out of Geico.

@Max
Don't understand "bumping" an unrelated thread ? What does "bumping" mean in this context ? The thread was found using a Google search for "Geico problems" or similar string.
How does one get a loss of value claim ? My 2015 was rear ended requiring replacement of the bumper cover....about $1500 (haven't seen the bill yet). Geico estimate was $868 but they didn't have Teslas in their claims' system and used a Honda Acord instead realizing that the cost would be higher. I'm wondering what they will do when they get the bill from the Tesla certified shop. Geico has given me trouble with with the rental car (trying to force me into a Kia or corolla at $22.50/day l) to low balling the estimate to fix the car. I do have questions:

1. Will this accident go onto CarFax?
2. Will this change the value of the car?
3. Since I'm leasing, will the bank adjust the end of term value of the car due to the accident ?
:cursing:

Last edited:
@Max
Don't understand "bumping" an unrelated thread ? What does "bumping" mean in this context ? The thread was found using a Google search for "Geico problems" or similar string.

It's not a big deal, but you took a thread that's over a year old, that's not exactly the same thing as your problem, and "bumped" it back to the front page.