TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear ended twice in 3 months.

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Dr Doom, May 16, 2018.

1. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

Just got rear ended last Sunday. A lady on stop go traffic rear ended me. I just had replaced my bumper few months ago when I also got struck from the rear.

The Model X held up well second time. Not really much damage. Anyways, i dont know why my car is so accident prone.

Are people rear ending me because they are admiring my car’s rear?

I took my car to the auto body shop and they suggested in Jersey it might be a good idea to use the tow hitch to prevent cars from damaging your rear bumper. The tow hitch once connected sticks out a few inches. Would that even work? It’s kinda low compared to where most cars’ front bumper are.

2. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Except the hitch will push in even harder to cause more damages...

• Like x 1
  3. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The tow hitch will let you skip the pesky damage to the plastic cover and the energy absorber and let it go directly rear support structure of the car.

• Informative x 1
  4. MikeInFL

MikeInFL Member

It’s the super tiny nearly non existent tail lights.

5. r0xx0r

r0xx0r Member

Because Tesla has regen, especially with low regen. In stop and go traffic, I saw many Tesla didn’t have any red lights at all. So the car behind had to follow very carefully.

• Disagree x 1
  6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I was hit in the rear in my first X. My current X has this: Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light

7. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Our Model S has been rear ended three times. All three times we had been sitting stationary for some time and it was 100% the fault of distracted drivers. Distracted driving is an epidemic.

• Like x 3
  8. RRM998

RRM998 Member

I've had several friends who followed me to a destination comment that they didn't see brake lights when I was slowing down. I've confirmed that the lights are working and are coming on at some point during a mostly single peddle stop. Apparently the regen braking doesn't turn on the brake lights right away as I slow down.

I do wonder if this situation is any different than a driver with a manual transmission down shifting to slow down.

9. XHabjab

XHabjab Helping to end the ICE Age

I'v been 'nearly' rear ended several times in busy traffic with the cruise control engaged. Tesla's traffic aware CC (TACC) is conservative on coming up behind someone, which means that it is "responsive" to those behind you. If the car decides to slow down gradually, it does so with regen, and the brake lights do not come on. If it slows down more quickly, it is quite aggressive and the brake lights go on, often with lots of space in front of you. Kaboom!

10. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

Both times were in stop and go traffic and autopilot was off for both incidents. I didn't even think the regen was a reason for the rear ending.

Does anyone think if I do the tow hitch and get rear ended at slow speeds, that there will be any damage to the vehicle?

11. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

12. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

It’s not. My BMW X6M in sport mode had engine braking almost as strong as normal regen, all without triggering the brake lights. At least the Tesla kicks in the brake lights under strong regen.

People just don’t pay attention.

• Like x 5
  13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

14. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Several years ago, was rear ended twice - a week apart - both times I was stopped in a long line of traffic and the car behind me hit me while I was stopped.

Seemed like bad luck - at least I only had to go to the body shop once - since both accidents damaged the rear bumper...

15. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

#15 vandacca, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    If the X is stopped (as posted by OP), then the rear brake light is on, so it has nothing to do with regen and brake lights not being activated.

--Edit--
    I stand corrected. OP was in stop & go traffic. skimmed thread too quickly.

16. Need

Need Active Member

OP said he was rear ended in stop and go traffic. In stop and go traffic, I usually don't have to press the brake much on the MX and the brake light does not come on much on the regen braking. I drive everyday in stop and go traffic and I know that I don't pay attention to actual car speed... you brake when you see brake lights. It's like a human autopilot thing. If the car in front slow down (even by a little) and the brake light does not come on, you better have distance to cover the slower reaction time because of the anomaly. I always leave a 1 car length distance (minimum) but most don't.. because they don't want people to cut in.

• Like x 2
  17. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

My bad...skimmed this thread too quickly.

18. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

I had the brake on when I got rear ended. It wasn't the regen braking. I had to brake and it was because it was stop and go traffic.

• Helpful x 1
  19. Raechris

Raechris Member

The rate of deceleration determines whether the brake lights illuminate.

20. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

I had the brake fully pressed on. my brake lights were on the MX when I looked at the driver's dashboard.