Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended twice in 3 months.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got rear ended last Sunday. A lady on stop go traffic rear ended me. I just had replaced my bumper few months ago when I also got struck from the rear.

The Model X held up well second time. Not really much damage. Anyways, i dont know why my car is so accident prone.

Are people rear ending me because they are admiring my car’s rear?

I took my car to the auto body shop and they suggested in Jersey it might be a good idea to use the tow hitch to prevent cars from damaging your rear bumper. The tow hitch once connected sticks out a few inches. Would that even work? It’s kinda low compared to where most cars’ front bumper are.

Just got rear ended last Sunday. A lady on stop go traffic rear ended me. I just had replaced my bumper few months ago when I also got struck from the rear.

The Model X held up well second time. Not really much damage. Anyways, i dont know why my car is so accident prone.

Are people rear ending me because they are admiring my car’s rear?

I took my car to the auto body shop and they suggested in Jersey it might be a good idea to use the tow hitch to prevent cars from damaging your rear bumper. The tow hitch once connected sticks out a few inches. Would that even work? It’s kinda low compared to where most cars’ front bumper are.
I was hit in the rear in my first X. My current X has this: Considering hitch mounted extra bumper and brake light

I've had several friends who followed me to a destination comment that they didn't see brake lights when I was slowing down. I've confirmed that the lights are working and are coming on at some point during a mostly single peddle stop. Apparently the regen braking doesn't turn on the brake lights right away as I slow down.

I do wonder if this situation is any different than a driver with a manual transmission down shifting to slow down.

I'v been 'nearly' rear ended several times in busy traffic with the cruise control engaged. Tesla's traffic aware CC (TACC) is conservative on coming up behind someone, which means that it is "responsive" to those behind you. If the car decides to slow down gradually, it does so with regen, and the brake lights do not come on. If it slows down more quickly, it is quite aggressive and the brake lights go on, often with lots of space in front of you. Kaboom!

Both times were in stop and go traffic and autopilot was off for both incidents. I didn't even think the regen was a reason for the rear ending.

Does anyone think if I do the tow hitch and get rear ended at slow speeds, that there will be any damage to the vehicle?

I've had several friends who followed me to a destination comment that they didn't see brake lights when I was slowing down. I've confirmed that the lights are working and are coming on at some point during a mostly single peddle stop. Apparently the regen braking doesn't turn on the brake lights right away as I slow down.

I do wonder if this situation is any different than a driver with a manual transmission down shifting to slow down.
It’s not. My BMW X6M in sport mode had engine braking almost as strong as normal regen, all without triggering the brake lights. At least the Tesla kicks in the brake lights under strong regen.

People just don’t pay attention.

Several years ago, was rear ended twice - a week apart - both times I was stopped in a long line of traffic and the car behind me hit me while I was stopped.

Seemed like bad luck - at least I only had to go to the body shop once - since both accidents damaged the rear bumper...

If the X is stopped (as posted by OP), then the rear brake light is on, so it has nothing to do with regen and brake lights not being activated.

--Edit--
I stand corrected. OP was in stop & go traffic. skimmed thread too quickly.

Last edited:
If the X is stopped (as posted by OP), then the rear brake light is on, so it has nothing to do with regen and brake lights not being activated.

OP said he was rear ended in stop and go traffic. In stop and go traffic, I usually don't have to press the brake much on the MX and the brake light does not come on much on the regen braking. I drive everyday in stop and go traffic and I know that I don't pay attention to actual car speed... you brake when you see brake lights. It's like a human autopilot thing. If the car in front slow down (even by a little) and the brake light does not come on, you better have distance to cover the slower reaction time because of the anomaly. I always leave a 1 car length distance (minimum) but most don't.. because they don't want people to cut in.

Reactions: r0xx0r and vandacca
OP said he was rear ended in stop and go traffic. In stop and go traffic, I usually don't have to press the brake much on the MX and the brake light does not come on much on the regen braking. I drive everyday in stop and go traffic and I know that I don't pay attention to actual car speed... you brake when you see brake lights. It's like a human autopilot thing. If the car in front slow down (even by a little) and the brake light does not come on, you better have distance to cover the slower reaction time because of the anomaly. I always leave a 1 car length distance (minimum) but most don't.. because they don't want people to cut in.
My bad...skimmed this thread too quickly.

The rate of deceleration determines whether the brake lights illuminate.