Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended with less than 100miles. Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best of luck with the repair and claim. Parts availability will be the biggest hurdle you'll have to deal with unless they total it. How long will Tesla cover a rental vehicle?
Definitely not totaling it. Other party’s insurance (Geico) gave us a little more than 30days of car rental and stopped paying after $25k of repairs. The body shop had told us to file a claim with our insurance (Tesla). They picked up the the rest of the repairs and an extra 30days of car rental. Tesla told us they will be going after Geico for the difference.

Definitely not totaling it. Other party’s insurance (Geico) gave us a little more than 30days of car rental and stopped paying after $25k of repairs. The body shop had told us to file a claim with our insurance (Tesla). They picked up the the rest of the repairs and an extra 30days of car rental. Tesla told us they will be going after Geico for the difference.
How come Geico isn't paying over $25k? Is that the limits of the other driver's insurance or because Geico is a crapy company?

How come Geico isn't paying over $25k? Is that the limits of the other driver's insurance or because Geico is a crapy company?
Not really sure. My attorney was dumbfounded as well. Geico knew even after the body shop pre-estimate that damages could potentially be over their alotted $25k but they didn’t say anything until the car rental was already tapping that out. It could possibly be that it was the limit of the other party’s insurance or that Geico is a really bad company. They also could maybe know how to work the system and fork out less money in the long run. Once the case settles, hopefully I can get a more definite answer for you.

def nothing to do with geico, any insurance company once a certain threshold is hit is going to fight as hard as it can to not have a vehicle repaired. Geico is an excellent company and have had great experiences with them for the past 10 years as well as many others i know, but if i was an insurance company and saw this car that should have been totalled from the start i would be pushing back as well

Reactions: plumsauce
Not really sure. My attorney was dumbfounded as well. Geico knew even after the body shop pre-estimate that damages could potentially be over their alotted $25k but they didn’t say anything until the car rental was already tapping that out. It could possibly be that it was the limit of the other party’s insurance or that Geico is a really bad company. They also could maybe know how to work the system and fork out less money in the long run. Once the case settles, hopefully I can get a more definite answer for you.
That's unfortunate. Hopefully you'll be made whole eventually.

def nothing to do with geico, any insurance company once a certain threshold is hit is going to fight as hard as it can to not have a vehicle repaired. Geico is an excellent company and have had great experiences with them for the past 10 years as well as many others i know, but if i was an insurance company and saw this car that should have been totalled from the start i would be pushing back as well
But in this case, where Geico has accepted 100% liability, wouldn't they be the ones determining if the car should have been totaled in the first place?

I’ve gone back and forth multiple times with the insurance company, body shop, and attorney. Apparently even after the ~$35k in damages, the car would not be considered “totaled”. Something about how the used car prices are inflated and how our current cost for damages doesn’t meet a certain percentage of that. It’s a very weird and unfortunate situation. The car is still in the shop.
Damnnnnnn....thats a long time. You are taking it better than I would. With this high cost repair, a lot of value is lost. I would be suing everyone to get a new car. Remember, a squeaky wheel gets the oil.

That's unfortunate. Hopefully you'll be made whole eventually.

But in this case, where Geico has accepted 100% liability, wouldn't they be the ones determining if the car should have been totaled in the first place?
In theory yes but it depends, a lot of the time and what i have dealt with in the past is the owner of the car pushing for a car to be totalled, in this case from the start i would have been pushing as much as I could to get this totaled. And then it depends on the offenders insurance as well. They probably wanted to repair it until they realized how much it’s already costing. I had this happen with a small accident where I wasn’t at fault had there adjuster come out and they said the fix would be $275 as it was a scratch in the door, well 1 month later with a rental from them ended up costing them close to $3700. And they were mad because they thought it would be an easy fix. Sadly adjusters really don’t know crap and its the body shop that knows what they are talking about

Damnnnnnn....thats a long time. You are taking it better than I would. With this high cost repair, a lot of value is lost. I would be suing everyone to get a new car. Remember, a squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Our attorney is doing the most he can given the situation. There’s not much I can do on my part but to sit and be patient. Being upset and disappointed hasn’t done me any good for the past couple of months.

Reactions: Mark2018s
...and you'd be waiting even longer for it all to be settled. Lawsuits do NOT expedite any situation, they slow them down.

...and you'd be waiting even longer for it all to be settled. Lawsuits do NOT expedite any situation, they slow them down.

I might have to wait longer, but I will have a brand new car at the end, and you are stuck with damaged and repaired car, if you keep it forever great, if not, you will pay when you sell it.

This is why older cars WITHOUT automatic emergency braking to prevent you from rear ending someone should be banned.
Would alleviate traffic and insurance claims too.
Automatic Emergency Braking is not designed to prevent accidents from occurring. It is designed to slow the vehicle down to mitigate the damage, not 100% prevent an accident. Of course this also depends on the speed of the vehicle. If you are going 5 mph, it may fully stop you before you hit something. If you're going 50 mph it will just slow you down to mitigate the impact.

That's very likely. Trust me Tesla Insurance will sue the other driver for the balance. I had the same problem with another car and it only took State Farm about 6 months to extract the balance and to pay my deductible. Geico is a nasty company - in that accident clearly their drivers fault they (their lawyer) harassed my wife for hours in a deposition 50 miles from home. State Farm's lawyer defended my wife.