Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear ended with less than 100miles. Help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding Teslas being accident magnets, I don’t know if it’s really the case but for first few days of driving the car, I was really worried about getting rear ended. Being it my first EV, I was just getting used to regen and was still occasionally taking my foot off the go pedal and getting panicked because the car was rapidly coming to a stop in the middle of the road. I wonder if this happened to others but I can see this to be cause of rear ending on first few days of first time EV driving.
I now have the opposite problem with ICE cars and panic when it does not slow down enough when I ease up on gas pedal :)

1month update: the body shop was unable to have the car hold a charge so they sent it to the nearest tesla dealer for diagnosis and repair. I closely monitored the app and tesla kept pushing back the estimated finish date. I decided to contact tesla directly to find out what was going on and they also said they were having problems troubleshooting the issue. As of today, tesla sent a service quote to replace the entire battery and charge port ($16k). In addition to the body work repair, the amount of repairs is costing way more than the original estimate of $20k.

With gas prices on the rise, this has got to be the worst timing possible.
Once the insurance adjuster comes out again and agrees with the new assessment of needed repairs at $36k, your car has a very good chance of being totaled. Just be patient and think about your new car.

Do you have an update on this? I got into a very similar accident today.
I’ve gone back and forth multiple times with the insurance company, body shop, and attorney. Apparently even after the ~$35k in damages, the car would not be considered “totaled”. Something about how the used car prices are inflated and how our current cost for damages doesn’t meet a certain percentage of that. It’s a very weird and unfortunate situation. The car is still in the shop.

Reactions: RNHurt
I’ve gone back and forth multiple times with the insurance company, body shop, and attorney. Apparently even after the ~$35k in damages, the car would not be considered “totaled”. Something about how the used car prices are inflated and how our current cost for damages doesn’t meet a certain percentage of that. It’s a very weird and unfortunate situation. The car is still in the shop.
Thank you for the update. Sorry to hear you're still dealing with this. Did you have problems on waiting for the parts like the tailgate?

Remember that if the car is repaired that you have a claim of diminished value against the person who rear ended you through their insurance company. No matter how high used car values are, a Carfax accident record will make the car far less valuable and difficult to sell.
I’ll update you guys with what the attorney finalizes. The last time we spoke, geico (other party’s insurance) was not compliant.

Wow, you got an attorney for a non-injury accident? I didn't think an attorney would take on a fender bender. I thought it would just be between your insurance and the other party's to argue fault. Especially in CA where the cops just write the accident report, they don't assign fault. If you have the dash cam video, it's typically a slam dunk.

right, the market hasn't changed in the 3+ years since he posted this... 🙄 I don't think anyone could've predicted the supply chain issues and other delays
I highly doubt he ever got anywhere close to his goal for even a decent % of his customers prior to the supply chain problems. Just look at so many of his other missed claims/projections like these:

That would be true if his own insurance had diminished value coverage and his insurance needed to subrogate that issue.
You don't claim DV through your own insurance, you would claim it against the other party's insurance. The way most accidents in CA are handled, you contact your own insurance and let them know you were in an accident and you believe the other party is 100% at fault. You would then give your insurance the evidence (dash cam video or third party witness statements, etc.). Your own insurance then would get in touch with the other party's insurance and do all of the talking and negotiating. The other party's insurance may call you for a statement, but never give a statement to the other party's insurance. In CA fault can be divided up. So it could be 90% one party and 10% the other party. Once the other party's insurance admits fault, then you request the DV as part of the package.

Wow, you got an attorney for a non-injury accident? I didn't think an attorney would take on a fender bender. I thought it would just be between your insurance and the other party's to argue fault. Especially in CA where the cops just write the accident report, they don't assign fault. If you have the dash cam video, it's typically a slam dunk.
Currently undergoing chiro and pain management. The other party admitted 100% fault.

You don't claim DV through your own insurance, you would claim it against the other party's insurance...
Correct for California. There are policies that include DV in other states, some for uninsured motorist coverage. Sadly, I discovered no recourse with a poor uninsured motorist in NJ. I was fortunate enough to find a used car manager to buy my 2019 Q3 for a fair price based on minor but expensive rear end damage (at 200 miles) fully repaired with factory parts, no metal work. Almost all other offers were around $6,000 less.

Reactions: Kairide