TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear-Ender accident in Palmdale - 7/4/14

Discussion in 'Model S' started by evme, Jul 5, 2014.

1. evme

evme Member

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

This is a different incident so maybe we need another thread?

3. evme

evme Member

#4 evme, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

Maybe, though some more info came out and with the risk of sounding a little insensitive and proposing a conspiracy theory but since the media does it I might as well.

Has anyone noticed a disproportional high speed impacts into Hondas?

Prior to this new story, I was hoping that it would not be a Honda and guess what, new info comes out and the high speed impact is yet into another Honda.

Three Family Members Dead After Tesla Crash in Palmdale | NBC Southern California

So is most of the cars in the US Hondas? Or is it once the Tesla Model S goes over a certain speed it becomes Honda seeking?

For those that don't remember the first Honda incident:

Head-on collision in Laguna Beach kills 2, closes road - Los Angeles Times

/end conspiracy

But on a serious note, these kind of events 24 hours from each other is really really sad :(

4. Matias

Matias Active Member

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

6. swaltner

swaltner Member

What a depressing accident

7. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Whats going on out there in Cali?

8. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Crazy weekend out in Cali

- - - Updated - - -

Ever consider politics?

9. Hodginator

Hodginator Member

The car had to really be moving to cause that much damage. Very sad.

Everyone keep your eyes on the road.

10. Splunge

Splunge Member

I think you meant "Hyperloops"

11. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

American Honda Motors is headquartered in Torrance, CA. It would not surprise me if California had a disproportionate number of Hondas on the road compared to other states. Also, California weather is more hospitable towards older Honda vehicles (1996 and before), because there's not much wintertime road salt to corrode the vehicle. There are going to be a lot of old Hondas around, because the engines are often good for 200k or even 300k and beyond miles.

While a new Honda is fairly beefy in terms of structural safety, with heavy pillars, force-dispersing passenger cell design, and high-strength steel construction, an old Honda will not deal with punishment very well. The old ones feel like tin cans on wheels. Old Toyotas are about the same. They stand no chance against a Tesla or other heavy luxury passenger vehicle.

12. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

13. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

sad, tough weekend for these families.

if these numbers were done right, July 3rd, and 4th each individually are nearly as dangerous on the road as New Year's day in the U.S. Apparently, summer in general has a substantially increased rate of fatal accidents (fwiw, the link just says accidents, but judging by the numbers, I think the stats are for fatal accidents, not simply all accidents).

Fun With NHTSA Stats: The Safest/Most Dangerous Days To Drive

14. JST

JST Active Member

The KTLA story linked elsewhere misidentifies the car as a Honda. From the pics, the wheels are clearly Toyota, so the NBC story seems to be right about that.

Terrible tragedy.

15. evme

evme Member

To my defense, if you click on the link. And look at the URL, the URL still has Honda written in it even though they changed the title. So at the time I posted, it said Honda.

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yet another reminder that this beast of a car is so powerful and structurally strong that it can inflict a lot of damage if operated recklessly (that may presumably be the case here). Not the car's fault, of course.

Very sad :(

17. Causalien

Causalien Reaper of Trolls

Maybe we now needs air bag deployment system on the outside now that Tesla is proven to do a lot more damage than normal cars.

18. Rebel44

Rebel44 Member

While demands for mandatory equipment are IMO unreasonable, it would make sense to have automatic braking sytem optional ASAP.

Hitting something with 2 ton car is pretty destructive.

19. Jackl1956

Jackl1956 Member

This is a terrible accident which I cannot even imagine the grief of these families. Channel 4 news here in Southern California is reporting the 40 year Toyota driver, two boys ages 8 and 15 did not survive. A six year old boy and 31 year old man were pulled from the car with injuries. The six year is reported in critical condition.

They are reporting the driver of the Model S as Rick Garrison of Newhall. In addition they are stating he was not intoxicated. Is he a member of TMC?

I know that little can be said to assuage the anguish of those involved in this terrible accident. I offer my hopes and prayers.