TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear-facing convertible car seats for twins in 6 seater MX?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by card415, Jun 8, 2020.

Tags:
  1. card415

card415 New Member

Hi, parent of 1 year old twins here looking for recommendations on rear-facing convertible car seats to put in the second row of a 6 seater model X. Does anyone have any experience with brands that will 1) allow access to the 3rd row, even with both 2nd row captain's chairs filled with rear-facing convertible car seats, and 2) leave enough leg room in the front row for a 6 foot tall driver? I've looked through the old threads but haven't found any recent ones with suggestions for current models of car seats that are still being sold. Thanks for your help!

2. Hwood

Hwood Member

Never heard about that, but I do see model S the third row has rear facing kids seats.

It’s actually a good idea for Tesla to think about upgrade MX second row captain sears to be that way. Then that would be my ideal captain seats!

3. gt5717b

gt5717b New Member

We had the same issue with our minivan when our twins (kid #3 and #4) were born. All 4 were in car seats, but the rear-facing twins' seats made getting to the 3rd row for the others virtually impossible. What we did was have kid #3 in the captain's chair behind the driver and kid #4 in the 3rd row. Since they were rear-facing, we found it easier to open the rear gate of the minivan and place kid #4 into his seat from the cargo area and buckle him that way. I'm not sure if the 3rd-row headrests of the Model X provide a large enough gap or not, but it might be something worth considering.

4. sllvgl

sllvgl Member

I’m not optimistic based on my experience with a 2nd-row rear facing seat in the X, but I’m going to follow this thread just in case

5. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

Have an S, not X, so here’s my 1 cent.

we have tested both Graco 4ever-in-1 and Nuna RAVA in rear facing configuration and they both fit fine. I am right at 6’ tall and both can fit behind me.

however, I would guess that you would not have space between the rear facing child seat and front seats to access the third row. My guess is that the 2nd row will need to be moved back to its most rear position to fit the child seat, and the child seat (in rear facing) would be too big to move the captain seat forward for 3rd row access.

I also think that the third row is too small to fit any kind of rear facing convertible or infant carrier. Not sure I’ve ever seen evidence of that working, but sounds like @gt5717b has done this successfully? Edit: never mind, I see this was referring to a minivan, not model x

think you’re going to be squeezed with 2 rear facing car seats but maybe possible.

I saw videos online of how huge the diono seats are in rear facing configuration which steered us away from that brand

6. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

Take a look at the Chico Nextfit Zips. We used them without any issues. 5’10 passenger / 5’11 driver. When they get older, the Chicco Myfits are great (kids are 99% and 90% in height). We use our third row with adults quite frequently albeit shorter adults (5’4ish)

There’s a thread on where where I posted pictures and possibly measurements.

7. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

This thread? Child Seats: 3x rear facing?

I still don’t see how you would access the 3rd row if both captains seats have a rear facing child seat?

8. MJP.P3D-

MJP.P3D- Supporting Member

Try a Clek Foonf. Good luck.