Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-facing infant car seat in Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, my Model 3 reservation is finally up but now that I have a newborn, I'm a little concerned about practical this car will be for the car seats and strollers. My specific question is whether anyone has put a rear-facing infant carrier style car seat in the model 3? How much leg room will the front passenger have if we set it up behind the passenger seat? My wife and I are shocked at how little room there is in her Q5 with the car seat attached, and according to the specs I saw posted the Q5 technically is supposed to have even more legroom than the Model 3. Basically you have to move the passenger seat all the way forward, which just doesn't work since we're both tall.

I've searched the forums and watched the relevant youtube videos and all I can find are reviews of full size forward-facing car seats. I know that you can technically fit three car seats across of that style, but I'm more concerned about the rear-facing and how that will impact passenger comfort due to leg room. If anyone can weigh in because you tested it or better yet can post pictures, I would be extremely appreciative!

No pictures, but we went to a showroom today and tried car seats in the back. Both a rear facing infant seat and a rear facing convertible seat for a toddler fit just fine. More legroom up front with the car seats installed than in our Volvo XC60 SUV. The only challenging part is, being frameless and lower to the ground, the opening is not as large to angle the kids in there when rear facing. It will definitely work for two kids though.

I have a rear facing Britax Boulevard installed rear-facing in the center. No problems moving both front seats back to a comfortable position for me (5'9"). We had a Britax B-Safe 35 base and infant seat that I haven't tried putting in the car yet, but remember it took up about the same amount of front-to-back room as the Boulevard, so I don't think there would be an issues with it. There's surprisingly more room in the back seat than it seems--even more than our CUV, which barely fits the Boulevard in the same position.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ