Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear facing infant car seat, Model Y.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for what other MY users have for their rear facing car seats. Would be very grateful if anyone could chime in with models they have used as well as spacing(maybe even photos). The wife and I test drove a Model Y this weekend. Tried to fit one of our Britax seats, and it seemed kinda cramped. Possibly due to not anchoring it down super hard into the seat and just placing it, but it was concerning. She is 5'7" and I'm 6'1".

Last edited:
Looking for what other MY users have for their rear facing car seats. Would be very grateful if anyone could chime in with models they have used as well as spacing(maybe even photos). The wife and I test drove a Model Y this weekend. Tried to fit one of our Britax seats, and it seemed kinda cramped. Possibly due to not anchoring it down super hard into the seat and just placing it, but it was concerning. She is 5'7" and I'm 6'1".
@Half_Ghost, we have two Diono Radian car seats in our Model Y - a Radian 3R rear-facing behind the passenger, and a Radian RXT front-facing in the middle. With the two Diono's, I just secured it with the seat belts, as opposed to using the latch system.

We also use a Bubble Bum booster seat for our oldest child (behind the driver). While we could have used our other backless booster (a Graco Turbobooster), our son found reaching the seatbelt easier (and less frustrating) w/ the Bubble Bum.

With the rear-facing Diono, we also use the angle adjuster foam pad, which saves us several inches of space (so my wife does not have to move her seat too far forward).

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 8,945
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,011
  • IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 2,037

We also have two Dionos, with the rear facing in the middle to give it more room. Initially tried the Diono behind the driver seat and it was wayy too cramped for the driver even with the additional inch on the MY7. We put the two seats side by side behind the driver side to still allow access to the third row if necessary.

We also have two Dionos, with the rear facing in the middle to give it more room. Initially tried the Diono behind the driver seat and it was wayy too cramped for the driver even with the additional inch on the MY7. We put the two seats side by side behind the driver side to still allow access to the third row if necessary.
Glad that setup works for you! I tried putting the rear-facing Diono in the middle seat, but it obstructed my view of the rear hatch too much (maybe it would have been better had I not used the angle adjuster).

I had 2 Diono Radian 3RXTs forward facing (one behind driver and one in the middle) and a Britax Boulevard Clicktight rear-facing behind the passenger seat. I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'8" and we both can fit in the front passenger seat without our legs touching the dash or anything. The seat is farther forward than I would prefer, but it works. My wife doesn't mind it. I am quite impressed by the interior space and comfort of the Model Y considering the compact design and how the competition stacks up. We generally take our larger vehicle for full family outings anyways so the Y is a backup when all 5 of us need to go somewhere.

I am sorry I don't have any photos, I just took out all my carseats about 3 days ago or I would have taken one for reference!

I had a diono 3rxt front facing behind driver and a baby jogger city view behind the passenger seat that comfortably fit. I'm about 5'9 and wife is about 5'7. Also had middle seat down to pass a snowboard +misc. Had an easy 2+hour drive.

I have a Britax Boulevard Clicktight rear facing behind the passenger seat. I can fit fine in front of it (5'11").
If your infant is really young, you will need to keep the seat flatter than I have it, which would reduce front leg room significantly. They grow up quickly though, so limited time problem.

I tested several rear-facing seats in a prior car. These measurements were all with the rear seat configuration in a 4Runner but should be generally true for the Y. I'm not surprised you had issues with the Britax--they're ridiculously inefficient on space and weight.

Nuna Pipa cradle in detachable base: This was my baseline. It could just fit behind the driver's seat in the 4Runner with the seat in a comfortable position for a 5'9" driver.

Graco Extend-2-fit: Winner of the test by a good margin. Gained 2-3" legroom over baseline, even in the middle setting on recline. Base of the seat is nicely sized for more compact seats. Reasonably well-made. Has an extendable leg platform for taller kids in rear-facing mode, but will cost you legroom for the front seat. This seat can go in rear-facing configuration behind the passenger seat and would be comfortable for passengers under around 6' or so. Extra bonus is that the adjustable headrest is angled such that it won't hit the passenger seat when it is extended, so it could go all the way up if needed without effecting fitment (though a kid that tall would have their legs crammed).

Chicco Nextfit: Within +/- 0.25" of the Graco depending on how the front seat headrest is designed. Feels sturdy but has extremely high bolsters that will make loading a kid through smaller doors difficult. This seat would be a headache on a car with a low door line.

Safety 1st Guide 65: Lost about 1-0.75" of legroom from baseline. This is a smaller seat, but the base design makes it inefficient overall.

Safety 1st Grow and Go: Similar to the Guide 65. Has two recline modes to save a little bit of space, but the higher of the recline settings seems too steep for younger children.

Britax Boulevard: LOL, I can't believe some car seat blog had this listed as the most compact car-friendly seat. Lost over 2" from baseline and the seat is just huge and heavy. Questionable build quality (recline handle was already sticking after just a couple uses) and the most expensive seat I tested by $70.

• Helpful
Reactions: Half_Ghost
I tested several rear-facing seats in a prior car. These measurements were all with the rear seat configuration in a 4Runner but should be generally true for the Y. I'm not surprised you had issues with the Britax--they're ridiculously inefficient on space and weight.

Nuna Pipa cradle in detachable base: This was my baseline. It could just fit behind the driver's seat in the 4Runner with the seat in a comfortable position for a 5'9" driver.

Graco Extend-2-fit: Winner of the test by a good margin. Gained 2-3" legroom over baseline, even in the middle setting on recline. Base of the seat is nicely sized for more compact seats. Reasonably well-made. Has an extendable leg platform for taller kids in rear-facing mode, but will cost you legroom for the front seat. This seat can go in rear-facing configuration behind the passenger seat and would be comfortable for passengers under around 6' or so. Extra bonus is that the adjustable headrest is angled such that it won't hit the passenger seat when it is extended, so it could go all the way up if needed without effecting fitment (though a kid that tall would have their legs crammed).

Chicco Nextfit: Within +/- 0.25" of the Graco depending on how the front seat headrest is designed. Feels sturdy but has extremely high bolsters that will make loading a kid through smaller doors difficult. This seat would be a headache on a car with a low door line.

Safety 1st Guide 65: Lost about 1-0.75" of legroom from baseline. This is a smaller seat, but the base design makes it inefficient overall.

Safety 1st Grow and Go: Similar to the Guide 65. Has two recline modes to save a little bit of space, but the higher of the recline settings seems too steep for younger children.

Britax Boulevard: LOL, I can't believe some car seat blog had this listed as the most compact car-friendly seat. Lost over 2" from baseline and the seat is just huge and heavy. Questionable build quality (recline handle was already sticking after just a couple uses) and the most expensive seat I tested by $70.
Thank you for the detailed response! This helps confirm my thoughts quite a bit.

We currently use an Uppa baby Mesa rear facing car seat for our 4mo old son behind the passenger seat. My husband is 6’2 and I’m 5’7. I’m comfortable enough in the passenger seat with the car seat behind me.

I’m now wondering which rear facing car seat to get for when little one outgrows his infant seat that I’d like to have installed behind the passenger seat again. Sounds like Graco Extend 2-fit and Diono Radian 3RXT are the ones recommended most. Any comments about which one you’d go with over the other and why? Thanks!!