Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear-facing jump seats removal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need help
SC is telling me something that does not add up in my head
i removed the seat by simply unscrewing two bolts pictured below
Used torx 45 and it worked well
it was a bit of an effort however
seats have been washed and I was ready to put back in
These two bolts are now simply going through the whole that seem like was threaded before
tech said I stripped the thread
i understand you could do that by overtightening something, but unscrewing ???
it is aluminum piece where the bolt screws into and it's not really thick to handle whole seat hanging just with thread
Is there a nut that was supposed to be on the other side securing the bolt?
Anyone ever removed/reinstalled the seats??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 658
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    667.1 KB · Views: 571
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 490
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 496
You need the "barrel nut" that attaches underneath. They may have fallen down when you removed the bolt. You can probably fish it out and use again. Your SC will have them too.

That's odd. I've removed my 3rd row before, for a 1000+ mile trip and the nuts stayed in place for re-installation. It does look like your nuts have moved away from the holes, so It's probably going to take the Service Center to relocate them or install new ones. I wish they were more captive, for sure.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Thank you for your help guys
Yesterday I came across very old thread which showed that barrel nut
I got the part number and ordered it this morning
I only was able to find one of them
Used paperclip the fish it out

BARREL NUT, M10 2006869-00-A $3.60

Lesson learned
If you need to take the seats out you have to somehow secure those nuts
maybe use magnets or some sort of paper clip to hold them in place

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
Can you get to the backside to put the new nuts on? I wanted to take out the seats to clean them before but I was worried about reinstalling them as well. Did you find a torque spec on the bolts?

Can you get to the backside to put the new nuts on? I wanted to take out the seats to clean them before but I was worried about reinstalling them as well. Did you find a torque spec on the bolts?
I'll have to find out about the torque
Though, it seems that the bolt regardless of position inside the nut is tough to rotate
Kind of like lock nut...
So even if it's not extremely torqued, it won't fall out
I also have good feeling on how tight it supposed to be, based on getting it out effort

I'll have to find out about the torque
Though, it seems that the bolt regardless of position inside the nut is tough to rotate
Kind of like lock nut...
So even if it's not extremely torqued, it won't fall out
I also have good feeling on how tight it supposed to be, based on getting it out effort

@AndreyATC curious if/how you were able to get the new nuts into position (per @jaguar36's query).

Does anyone know if you can just use the bolt to hold the barrel nut in place until the seats are ready to reinstall? I want to remove the rear facing seats for a long road trip and I don't want to lose the nut... I thought about trying to get someone to weld something so I can easily detach and reattach the seats without losing the nut...

I had the same problem... removed the seats (Torx45), installed the original bolts but wanted to swap them out with M10 hex nuts. (way more grip to remove and reinstall them). When getting the bolts from the store I forgot to reinstall the orignal bolts with the result that the nuts were gone...

But it is an easy fix.

Get a strong small magnet! Move the insulation next to the holes aside and you will see two big square holes... use the magnet to find the nuts and slide them to one of the square holes... re-position the nuts behind the fixing holes and you are good to go...