Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear facing Seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just my opinion. If it saves a parent the loss of a child, I'll have done my job. Today, Monday August 15th 2016 there was a Tesla Model S rear ended on the 405 in Westminster. Unfortunately, there were injuries, and a seven year old girl did not make it. Her 13 year old sister is in the hospital along with their father. I am writing about this because I have 4 children that I love and care for. They are my life. For years, I have been writing about how unsafe I believe the rear facing seats are and warning who ever will listen, not to get a car with them or place kids in them. Although I do not know which seat the child was in, rear facing or backseat, it is clear from the pictures, thet no one could have survived had they been in the rear facing seats. Right now, my thoughts are with the parents, and the grief that they must be going thru.

7-year-old girl dies, 13-year-old in critical condition after 405 freeway crash

Absolutely terrible to hear. I do think you are jumping to the conclusion of them being rear facing though. It says they were both seated in the rear seat and I would think the 13 year old girl would exceed the 77 pound weight limit. Also looking at that wreckage, if a child was seated in the third row of Model X I'm not sure the result would have been much different.

See attached picture. I am very passionate about kids and this rear facing seat is just wrong. Look at the attached picture and tell me you'd put your kids lives at risk.

Attachments

• Volvowagon082015.jpeg
    Volvowagon082015.jpeg
    524.8 KB · Views: 449
What a horrible wreck. How sad. First fatal Tesla wreck I know of with a rear impact. Wonder if the car had rear jump seats/extra reinforcement that comes with them.

That's a good point. Cars equipped with the rear jump seats have extra boron steel reinforcement in the rear bumper (plus the entire jump seat serves as additional impact absorbing material when they're unoccupied).

Agree with the other posts. This accident shouldn't been seen as a referendum on rear facing seats. Most accidents are from the front in which case the rear facing seats would be the safest spot.

If anything, it once again shows how safe the Tesla is. If they were in any other car, the outcome could have been even worse.

See attached picture. I am very passionate about kids and this rear facing seat is just wrong. Look at the attached picture and tell me you'd put your kids lives at risk.

That's a Volkswagen. For all we know the Tesla involved did not have rear facing seats and if it did that seven year old girl could still be alive because of the extra reinforcement that is present in Model Ss with rear facing seats. Shame on you for trolling this forum using the death of a child to further your agenda.

That's a Volkswagen. For all we know the Tesla involved did not have rear facing seats and if it did that seven year old girl could still be alive because of the extra reinforcement that is present in Model Ss with rear facing seats. Shame on you for trolling this forum using the death of a child to further your agenda.

I'm a little confused since it's clearly a Volvo, but I can't tell from the pic whether it has any reinforcement or if it even has the rear-facing seats.

Personally I don't like rear-facing seats at all for lots of different reasons. But, the OP is being ridiculous and there is no information yet as to the actual speed involved. We also don't know if it even had rear facing seats.

An awful event and story for sure but your posts are just ridiculous/borderline crazy ... If that was a front end crash there would be as much an argument that rear seats were safer. The Volvo picture is in no way relevant ... Let's compare apples to rocks shall we.

No seat is 100% safe and depending on the type of crash and circumstance any seat in the tesla could be safer than another. Be sure that they have tried to make every seat and occupant as safe as possible.

I'm a little confused since it's clearly a Volvo, but I can't tell from the pic whether it has any reinforcement or if it even has the rear-facing seats.

Personally I don't like rear-facing seats at all for lots of different reasons. But, the OP is being ridiculous and there is no information yet as to the actual speed involved. We also don't know if it even had rear facing seats.

Yea I saw V....wagon on the picture filename and didn't even look to see it was a Volvo Wagon not a Volkswagen. But the point remains that the picture is irrelevant.

Very sad.

Brings up the question on whether that S (2015 Model) had RFS and the reinforcement bar installed. If the girls WEREN'T sitting in the RFS BUT the S was outfitted with the reinforcement bar, I wonder if they would have survived. (I'm thinking no one survives sitting in the RFS in that kind of crash, reinforcement bar or not, that's for sure).

Will have to wait for more official updates.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I am very passionate about kids and this rear facing seat is just wrong. Look at the attached picture and tell me you'd put your kids lives at risk.

Bull.

IF the Tesla had rear facing seats it would have ALSO had strengthening bars in the car's frame at the back; when you buy the one you get the other. Rear facing seats are a factory-fitted option only, not available retro-fit, for that very reason. Its not just a case of "chuck your kids in the trunk" (as per the picture you posted of a completely different make of vehicle)

No telling if the impact would still have been fatal, but cherry picking the details published on a news wire, which may well be wrong for a kickoff, to create a story of your making and imagination is "just wrong", to use your own words.

You don't like the car for some reason? Fine.

Come to think of it ... here I am also feeding the Troll ...

If the girls WEREN'T sitting in the RFS BUT the S was outfitted with the reinforcement bar, I wonder if they would have survived.

Hmmm ... I wonder if presence of a reinforcement bar would have meant that energy absorption was less, and then the Tesla would have been pushed harder into the one in front instead? (I didn't do very well at Physics at school - so I may be way off!!)