TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear facing seats increased price, now $4000

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NerdDoc, Oct 7, 2016.

1. NerdDoc

NerdDoc Member

Any idea why Tesla increased the price so much for the RFS options? The description doesn't seems to indicate anything new such as ventilation.

2. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Wow.

I have nothing else to add.

3. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

You mean like why they increased AP by $500 even though they didn't add anything new? Remember Elon has bonuses tied to profit levels, so if they have enough demand they can raise prices to help him get his bonuses earlier.

• Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. Firewired

Firewired Member

I had to go back and double check how much I paid 12/14 for mine. $2500. Was there an intermediate price hike between then and now?

5. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

Why are prices continuing to increase across the board?! The S should be improving in price with continued production not the opposite! Removal of the white color choice, autopilot $ increase, price hiked RFS, removal of coil suspension on the X. What is going on?? Maybe they want to increase the price gap between the S/X and the 3?

• Funny x 1
  6. NerdDoc

NerdDoc Member

There was no intermediate price. It went from $2500 to $4000. Crazy. I've been holding off on ordering until autopilot 2.0 hardware. I really want the RFS to. But now I'm worried that something else will increase in price by the time I order.

In general the model S seems to have steadily increased in price over the years.

7. Malujerry

Malujerry Member

At 12/16 the rear seats were $3k

• Like x 1
  8. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

Model S and x are selling like hotcakes and they are raising the prices because they can, that's what's going on.

• Like x 2
  9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

in 2013 they were $1500.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

They looked nicer when they were $1500 too - bits of faux leather on wear areas where they're all cloth now.
    Viewed another way, perhaps this is a way of discouraging their adoption? Limit liability for a niche option?

11. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Seems like goal is to push Model S and X into price spectrum that is distinct from model 3.

12. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

This would be a good QA question for Elon. A very specific question that cannot easily be dodged, and of interest to most folks even if just out of curiosity.

13. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Wrong. It was $3k for a while.

• Like x 1
  14. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I wouldn't get these for $4k. I don't regret getting them for $2.5k, but at $4k for their limited use and comfort, I wouldn't do it again.

• Like x 1
  15. MassModel3

MassModel3 Member

On the up side, it should ever-so-slightly increase trade in value if you have the jump seats. (I hope)

• Like x 1
  16. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

I'd question whether or not the increased cost comes with upgraded HVAC performance?

Jeff

• Like x 1
  17. whitex

whitex Member

Raising prices could be to help move inventory. With higher "custom order" option, cheaper inventory cars look more attractive.

18. mr blue sky

mr blue sky Member

Maybe it's due to decreased volume, meaning they get less of a discount on parts purchases. When I visited the showroom they only had one loaner Model S out in the parking lot that had the jump seats. If it had gotten loaned out then they wouldn't even be able to demo them to anybody.

As for the faux leather I think there were some complaints about those parts getting hot in the sun especially when the rear sunshade is not installed.

19. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I see it as a tactic to convert S orders to X orders due to lower X demand. $4k closses the price gap

• Like x 2
  20. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Option prices have often fluctuated ever since the model S was releases. Nothing really new here.

Those who ordered the option earlier got the better deal, and perhaps gained some additional resale value.

It would not be out of line for Tesla to offer additional functionallity with the increased price, such as better ventiliation etc.

Might find out something at the presentation next week.