Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear facing seats increased price, now $4000

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMHO, nothing really resolves the lack of ventilation issue so many people comment upon with the MS jumper seats, and the jumpers only accommodate smaller children, but MX does provide a better alternative when it comes to both ventilation and additional seating comfort/flexibility.

I agree that raising the price for the MS jumpers could be to move owners to MX. OTOH if the volume of jumper seats being sold on MS has come down now that MX is readily available, the price hike could also be Tesla's cost in a MS has actually gone up (Tesla subcontracts a lot of those sort of things, so perhaps they don't get the same volume discount?) I suspect the answer is somewhere between both of those things, and won't be surprised when Tesla one day pulls the MS jumper seat option.

I have both an S (with rear jumper seats) and an X There is no comparison. My 12 year old quick outgrew the rear facing seats over a year ago Now that I have had both, the rear facing seats seem more like a novelty to be used in occasion, or in a space crunch. Whereas the seating in the X is practical solution for seating adults at anytime

Yep, because they can! Kind of sad. I know they're selling as many as they can build right now, but it does suck as they're absolutely pricing many potential customers out of a Tesla. With just the price increases over the past year, I would have been priced out of the car I currently own, which already was a bit of a stretch. Had my lease on my prior car not ended when it did and instead ended this year, I'd be driving another ICE car instead of the Tesla. Glad I made it in before they went up, but likely I won't be getting another one when my lease ends simply due to the increase pricing. Can only imagine what the prices will be in another two years!

With just the price increases over the past year
This got me curious. From when I ordered my car (1.5 years ago, roughly) to now, the price has gone up by $5,550 on a similarly equipped Model S

What I would have gotten for those additional $5,550:
-19 more miles of range
-Adaptive LED headlights
-Bio-defense mode
-Facelifted Model S
-Dark Ash Wood decor
-Next Gen seats (instead of the "1.5" gen seats)
-Slipstream wheels

So while the price has gone up from a year ago, you are getting a lot more included for that $5,550.

Now, the last 2 items I don't really "want" (I prefer the old stock wheels, and I prefer the 1.5 gen seats, but I guess both has low demand)

This got me curious. From when I ordered my car (1.5 years ago, roughly) to now, the price has gone up by $5,550 on a similarly equipped Model S

What I would have gotten for those additional $5,550:
-19 more miles of range
-Adaptive LED headlights
-Bio-defense mode
-Facelifted Model S
-Dark Ash Wood decor
-Next Gen seats (instead of the "1.5" gen seats)
-Slipstream wheels

So while the price has gone up from a year ago, you are getting a lot more included for that $5,550.

Now, the last 2 items I don't really "want" (I prefer the old stock wheels, and I prefer the 1.5 gen seats, but I guess both has low demand)

Depends on which model you get. When I purchased my car, it was the top of the line car available just after the release of the 90 kWh battery. I got the P90D loaded except for sub-zero. It was $123,000 In October, 2015 when ordered. Today, to get a top of the line Performance model, I know have to get the P100D. Price comes out to $144,000 for an identically optioned car. yes, i get a car that's faster and a little more range that I really have no use for as the extra 20-25 miles in range will not allow me to pass superchargers along the way for long trips.

Don't car about Bio-Defense mode. An option forced on us. I actually preferred the piano black. Mine had the next gen seats added. Slip steam wheels are nicer but not an addition to the car, just a different base model style of wheel. Same thing with the nose. Just a new style, but not some you now get that you didn't get before. Both have noses on the cars, the new ones just look different. Neither of these two items have an impact on pricing.

Point being, I was able to get a top of the line Tesla for $123,000. Now, a top of the line Tesla is $144,000. $21,000. Almost 2/3 rds the cost of a Model 3. And for me, there's nothing in the new car that I need or feel that my car is lacking in anyway. Yes, it will go quicker, but that means nothing if I'm not in competition on a race track. When my lease comes up, at an extra $21,000 (likely higher in 2 years), I certainly won't be able to afford the replace my 2015 top of the line car with a 2018 top of the line car. Most car manufacturers don't charge astronomically for every improvement. A new nose doesn't result in a higher price on a MB or BMW. Maybe their prices go up a few thousand for a 2017 over a 2016 with the 2017 having a little more power and other various new features. Tesla creates a whole new model, despite minor changes, and prices that next model significantly higher. All the power to them. Right now demand exceeds supply. But they certainly are pricing out several potential buyers that would love to hop on the Tesla Train.

I noticed on the main Tesla website that the Model S as listed as seating 5 adults, and the Model X is listed as seating 7 adults. I know that the S used to be advertised as seating "up to 7." Maybe they made the option more expensive to push people to the X if they needed seating for more than 5.

I noticed on the main Tesla website that the Model S as listed as seating 5 adults, and the Model X is listed as seating 7 adults. I know that the S used to be advertised as seating "up to 7." Maybe they made the option more expensive to push people to the X if they needed seating for more than 5.
"Up to 7" in a MS is with the rear child jumper (2 adults + 3 adults + 2 children). No change since MS first came out.

Depends on which model you get. When I purchased my car, it was the top of the line car available just after the release of the 90 kWh battery. I got the P90D loaded except for sub-zero. It was $123,000 In October, 2015 when ordered. Today, to get a top of the line Performance model, I know have to get the P100D. Price comes out to $144,000 for an identically optioned car. yes, i get a car that's faster and a little more range that I really have no use for as the extra 20-25 miles in range will not allow me to pass superchargers along the way for long trips.
Not an apples to apples comparison. You can't compare a fully loaded P90D to a fully loaded P100D and say there was a huge price increase. The P90D is still available, new, for $20k less than the P100D. So you're complaining about a $1k price increase ($21k - $20k for a P90D) over a 1 year time frame?

Personally, I think it makes a lot more sense to drop the "up to 7" on the Tesla. I ran a Marketing Team for a while, and appreciate that's a true statement, but honestly, it needed some asterisks and a footnote to say it was really 5+2 children and only if you purchased the jumper option. ;) Now that MX is available, it's easier to say 7 for MX and 5 for MS. We used to adapt old tag lines and literature with new ones as product features evolved and we wanted to put different emphasis on different products. It's all in the spin one wants to put on a particular model and/features.