Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Facing Seats Installation/Removal Procedure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
I was wondering if anyone has a procedure to remove or install the Rear Facing Seats (RFS) in a Model S that is configured already for RFS?

By request, we pulled out the seats of a friends car so he could use the additional storage space. We unscrewing the two bolts that anchor the bottom of the seats to the car and the seats easily come out for storage. Now, he's ready to have them re-installed and I just assumed the area that the bolts screw into would be threaded. In actuality, it seems like there is some sort of missing nut that should exist on the other side of the hole where the bolt goes into. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Now that I know about the capture nuts and how to get them, it's real easy to help get the seats re-installed. I advise anyone who's looking to remove the capture nuts to get a pair of needle nose pliers. That way you won't need small fingers for the whole job. Just the part where you slide the nut to the left or the right before removing.

I've got a call into the local Tesla Parts Adviser to see how much these nuts cost.

FYI, here are the pics of one that I snapped.

Rear Capture Nut.jpg
Rear Capture Nut2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That was quick. Tesla Dania Beach replied with the following after I sent them pics of the nut.

"Thank you for sending over the pictures - I found them right away. We call these nuts Barrel Nuts and we have them in stock.

BARREL NUT, M10 2006869-00-A $3.60 ea

You can pass by our service center to pick them up or we can ship them to you for an additional cost of $6.00."

Now that I know about the capture nuts and how to get them, it's real easy to help get the seats re-installed. I advise anyone who's looking to remove the capture nuts to get a pair of needle nose pliers. That way you won't need small fingers for the whole job. Just the part where you slide the nut to the left or the right before removing.

I've got a call into the local Tesla Parts Adviser to see how much these nuts cost.

FYI, here are the pics of one that I snapped.

View attachment 80098View attachment 80099

- - - Updated - - -

That was quick. Tesla Dania Beach replied with the following after I sent them pics of the nut.

"Thank you for sending over the pictures - I found them right away. We call these nuts Barrel Nuts and we have them in stock.

BARREL NUT, M10 2006869-00-A $3.60 ea

You can pass by our service center to pick them up or we can ship them to you for an additional cost of $6.00."

Do you any video or pictures on how to installation of the rear facing seat in to model s that didn’t have them from the factory