TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear Facing Seats Installation/Removal Procedure

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by DJ Frustration, Apr 30, 2015.

1. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

I was wondering if anyone has a procedure to remove or install the Rear Facing Seats (RFS) in a Model S that is configured already for RFS?

By request, we pulled out the seats of a friends car so he could use the additional storage space. We unscrewing the two bolts that anchor the bottom of the seats to the car and the seats easily come out for storage. Now, he's ready to have them re-installed and I just assumed the area that the bolts screw into would be threaded. In actuality, it seems like there is some sort of missing nut that should exist on the other side of the hole where the bolt goes into. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

2. mai

mai Member

3. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

Now that I know about the capture nuts and how to get them, it's real easy to help get the seats re-installed. I advise anyone who's looking to remove the capture nuts to get a pair of needle nose pliers. That way you won't need small fingers for the whole job. Just the part where you slide the nut to the left or the right before removing.

I've got a call into the local Tesla Parts Adviser to see how much these nuts cost.

FYI, here are the pics of one that I snapped.

Rear Capture Nut.jpg Rear Capture Nut2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That was quick. Tesla Dania Beach replied with the following after I sent them pics of the nut.

"Thank you for sending over the pictures - I found them right away. We call these nuts Barrel Nuts and we have them in stock.

BARREL NUT, M10 2006869-00-A $3.60 ea

You can pass by our service center to pick them up or we can ship them to you for an additional cost of $6.00."