TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear Facing Seats (Tesla Model S)

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by rpozo, Jan 21, 2015.

1. rpozo

rpozo New Member

Rear Facing Seats (Tesla Model S)

As per listed on the Tesla website..."Carry up to 7 passengers in the Model S by adding seating for two children with rear facing seats. Come from a 2013 Tesla Model S P85 and have been used twice. No need for them so your gain. The price when purchased with the car is $2500. Selling for $1,700

List Date: 1/22/2015

For more info, click here to view the original listing: Rear Facing Seats (Tesla Model S)
    --------------------------------------
    On Sale For: $1,700.00 (Local Pickup Only)

buynowbutton.png
    --------------------------------------
    tesla-motors-club.gif
    Dd44YQ2zPc4M.JPG

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

3. EKoS

EKoS Model S P4291

For what it's worth, at least a few thousand early cars (up to Vin ~4000, IIRC) came with the required safety structure by default. Tesla later changed this, and now only adds the extra safety structure into the chassis of cars that have selected the rear-facing seats option at the factory.

Early VIN holders who'd like to add the rear-facing seats should check with the service center to make sure their cars have the necessary structure. I'm not sure if the service centers will actually install a used part (I doubt it) but at least they can tell you if you'd be taking undue risk or not by having the seats installed after the fact. As stevezzzzz said, if you have a newer car and did not order the rear-facing seats from the factory, this is not a safe option to retrofit later...

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

you'd need to sell the structurally reinforced second bumper that goes along with the seat....

5. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

I'm the guy who started the thread who was interested in buying a rear facing seat. I'm also local to Miami so we may have a deal brewing. My VIN is below 5,500, which is when they stopped reinforcing the rear bumper for all cars.

However, I've been in contact with someone else who is selling the seat and appropriate hardware (minus rear bumper) for much, much less. I'm talking $500. The reasoning is, there are only about 5,500 cars that can have this installed without requiring a new rear bumper installation, which pushes the cost way out of reach. Bottom line, the seats have a small market. I'm obviously more interested in this listing since it's local to Miami but will not be paying this price.

6. PlanB

PlanB Banned

$500, I would suggest you buy them....and buy them before they get snatched up.

7. DJ Frustration

#7 DJ Frustration, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    It's $500 plus shipping since they aren't local to South Florida. I've confirmed that a Service Center will require the installation of a rear cross-member on the bumper. This adds significant cost to the installation and takes it out of "making sense" territory.

8. DJ Frustration

This item no longer available. I purchased it.

9. stoneskid

stoneskid Member

I am located in Miami and I have set for sale as well if anyone is interested.

10. stoneskid

stoneskid Member

Looks like your outside of Toronto? I would even be willing to deliver them as Im making a trip to Detroit soon.

11. StingSC10

StingSC10 Member

I read that you had some rear facing seats (more than a year ago) that were for sale. Do you still have them?

12. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

FYI, if you don't have an early car, rear seats will not retrofit in VINs starting somewhere around 6000. The mount points aren't there on the cars not spec'd to have them, is what I understand.

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I think it's more around 5600. Mine is 5837 and I don't have the preinstalled hardware.

14. Crusoe

Crusoe Member

I can't find the thread I stumbled upon last week that shows the pics of the rear facing mount points. My Tesla is in transit and I want to check when it gets here. It is an early 4000s VIN so given the quote, mine should have them.
    Can anyone link them or tell me where to look?
    Also the thread said there was something that was swapped for the rear bumper too IIRC.