Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Facing Trunk Seat Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fwiw, if anyone is making a parts list, The fastener quantities aren’t correct in the work order posted above. Lines 9 and 10 should be more than 1 each.

And I didn’t need the cover on line 7. You probably don’t if you are moving seats from one car to another. It attaches to the seats and will/should move with them

And, remember, the strikers depend on the model year.
All good points, I didn’t audit the actual install

Now that I have my model S, I am trying to get the seats, components, and install them. I am having much difficulty so far... The only Tesla approved Autobody shop anywhere near me refused to install the bumper support cross member. I now am trying to see if a shop in the Chicago area will do it. Also, I just received an email from the Tesla Service Center, that the parts I requested pricing on are marked as restricted and they can't sell them. I have asked for clarification on which parts are being marked as restricted, but the only parts that I requested were:
ASSEMBLY - HIP STRIKER LEFT 1013626-00-D
ASSEMBLY - HIP STRIKER RIGHT 1013629-00-D
SWITCH FOR 3RD ROW SEAT w/ POWERED LIFTGATE 6008902-00-A
PNL, QTR TRIM LOWER LT 1016334-00-B
BARREL NUT, M10 2006869-00-A (Qt 2)
BOLT, TORX, M10x28.4 1022449-00-A (Qt 2)
BOLT M8x20 WITH MAT POINT 1014747-00-B (Qt 4)
2ND ROW BEZEL UPPER 1013633-00-A
2ND ROW BEZEL LOWER 1014277-00-A
Heart Flex Clip with Washer 1025401-00-A (Qt 10)

I'm hoping it is only the strikers that they are refusing to sell, and I will be able to hopefully source those when I find someone that will sell me their seat?? If not, I am really needing some help..

Can anyone provide me their Tesla Service Center contact info where they were able to source the parts through?? Maybe They would ship me the parts even if it is too far to drive and pick up... Other than that, I guess my only option is to find a salvage car being parted out with the pieces?? That could be like looking for a needle in a haystack...

You can remove your own bumper cover and install the bumper addition in less than an hour if even it's your first time and you take it slowly. There are instructions posted on how to do this, I'll put them up here when I find it again, but it really isn't difficult. The bolts for the insert are probably already on your bumper waiting for the third row to be installed. EDIT - here: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081820-5448.pdf

Installing the seat is just as easy and well documented here. The hardest part is cutting the carpeting and that's 99% mental effort.

Definitely ask for the strikers when you source the seat!

Last edited:
You can remove your own bumper cover and install the bumper addition in less than an hour if even it's your first time and you take it slowly. There are instructions posted on how to do this, I'll put them up here when I find it again, but it really isn't difficult. The bolts for the insert are probably already on your bumper waiting for the third row to be installed.

Installing the seat is just as easy and well documented here. The hardest part is cutting the carpeting and that's 99% mental effort.
Thanks for the reply! How am I going to source the bumper support - or any of the other parts - if the Tesla Service center won't sell them to me?? I am fine installing myself (the only question I would have is how to get the plastic bumper fascia on and off), but if I can't source the support or the other parts???
It looks like I am pretty close to you (I'm in the Milwaukee area, looks like you are in the Chicago area, correct?). Can you tell me the auto body shop you went through to get the bumper support ordered/installed? Also could you post or PM me the contact you went through at the Service Center to order all the miscellaneous pieces that they are refusing to sell me? Did you deal with the Highland Park Service Center, or another one in the Chicago area? I received and email from Andy Hill at Highland Park telling me he can't sell me the parts I requested...

Service centers won’t sell you the “restricted” parts. Call a certified repair center. They can order the whole kit. Just need to be willing to do it.

I had my car being repaired and added it as a separate quote and just paid the invoice to the repair shop. Mild markup as I saw original invoice.

Brooks motors in Fremont repaired my car and installed the RFS for me.

Agree, adding the bumper reinforcement is easy takes about an hour, and effectively makes the rear end of your car a tank. I’d add it even without RFS knowing what I know now

That’s weird. They were willing to sell me everything except the crossmember. I had the seat, so didn’t ask about that.

They started with the “that’s restricted” line with me, but when I asked them to explain which parts were restricted, they did say just the cross-member was, and sold me the other parts.

I’d start by asking for an explanation

Thank you for all the replies, everybody, it is much appreciated!! I have two more questions. The first being the rear seat installation Service Bulletin states to remove the rear fascia assembly under the first step of the Rear Crossmember Installation. It calls out Service Manual procedure 10013001 for this step. Does anyone have a copy of that, or have any advice on how to remove the rear plastic fascia??

My other question is in regards to sourcing the bumper from eBay. I am concerned about it being a genuine Tesla part. The reason being, is that I have read it is a special alloy (don’t recall what’s it is?) for increased strength. The material would be very important for keeping the rear passengers as safe as possible in case of an accident. How can I be certain that the eBay rear submember sourced part is the correct material, that it is a genuine Tesla part??

Thank you again everyone for your help!!!!

Thank you for all the replies, everybody, it is much appreciated!! I have two more questions. The first being the rear seat installation Service Bulletin states to remove the rear fascia assembly under the first step of the Rear Crossmember Installation. It calls out Service Manual procedure 10013001 for this step. Does anyone have a copy of that, or have any advice on how to remove the rear plastic fascia??

My other question is in regards to sourcing the bumper from eBay. I am concerned about it being a genuine Tesla part. The reason being, is that I have read it is a special alloy (don’t recall what’s it is?) for increased strength. The material would be very important for keeping the rear passengers as safe as possible in case of an accident. How can I be certain that the eBay rear submember sourced part is the correct material, that it is a genuine Tesla part??

Thank you again everyone for your help!!!!

It doesn't look very exotic to me. Probably steel if I had to guess. Could ask seller for pic of any Tesla stampings, part numbers, etc.

Tesla Model S Rear Bumper Reinforcement | eBay

Thank you for the eBay link, but that isn't the correct part. That is actually the rear bumper part that all Model S cars have. The reinforcement crossbar actually gets installed underneath the rear bumper part. Remove the plastic fascia, remove the steel rear bumper, install the bumper reinforcement cross bar, reinstall bumper and reinstall fascia.

I cannot find any reinforcement crossbar pieces (PN: 1015811-S0-B) listed on eBay at all, unless I am not searching very well...

Here is a picture of the car with the steel rear bumper removed and the cross member installed from the Service Bulletin:
SB-10081820.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jjh1234
D344715F-5AB3-4A2E-86B3-3E77E11B8192.jpeg
And here’s the new piece not assembled:
E66F2E9F-890D-41C8-977C-F560B047B759.jpeg

F675959B-0421-4B2F-981E-D100CB6BB5C7.jpeg

Thank you for the eBay link, but that isn't the correct part. That is actually the rear bumper part that all Model S cars have. The reinforcement crossbar actually gets installed underneath the rear bumper part. Remove the plastic fascia, remove the steel rear bumper, install the bumper reinforcement cross bar, reinstall bumper and reinstall fascia.

I cannot find any reinforcement crossbar pieces (PN: 1015811-S0-B) listed on eBay at all, unless I am not searching very well...

Here is a picture of the car with the steel rear bumper removed and the cross member installed from the Service Bulletin:
View attachment 267924

View attachment 267924

Btw, looks like your car isn’t equipped with the mounting bolts for the reinforcements