TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Rear Fan Upgrade for 1.5 Roadster?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by bart513, Aug 21, 2013.

1. bart513

bart513 Member

Does this exist? I think I read something about this along with a different sway bar?

2. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

From what I heard there's a retro-fit kit for the 1.5's and the 2.0's that ended up with the single fan blower in the rear. The upgrade are two blowers, some kit where I believe it utilizes the two screws to hold the blower (must be some bracket to put pressure down even on both fans) as opposed to the four screws that hold the 2.x dual blowers on, and a new rear swaybar to accommodate the blower.

I'm curious if this is a job someone can do by themselves.

jbadger had his 1.5 retrofitted, he'd be a good person to ask questions about. I think this is a good move since keeping temps down on electronics typically lead to longevity of the components.

3. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

This is not needed in the 1.5s as the second fan is in the PEM and that IMHO is a much better design.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

From what I heard, the 2.x's have a dual fan in the PEM and the 1.5's only one. I believe jbadger mentioned his PEM temps did drop after this upgrade. Although it appears the real reason that a dual blower was added was for cold weather climates with salty roads and snow and failures occurring with the single fan.

5. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

The original 2.x's had two fans, one for the motor and one for the PEM. They were prone to failure, especially from road salt, and were replaced by a single fan (one motor with two blowers) plus a shroud to protect from debris. The upgrade was only done for cars in cold climates.

PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed
    PEM, motor gets too hot -- fans failed - Page 17

6. bart513

bart513 Member

I believe that is under the front hood, not in the rear correct? Is there an upgrade in the rear by the motor and PEM?

7. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

There were two upgrades:

1. A shroud was added to the front fans for 1.5 and 2.0 Roadsters to improve AC performance.

Cooling system improvement

2. Rear fans were replaced for 2.x Roadsters in cold climates to prevent failure from road salt. The upgrade added a rear shroud to block debris and replaced the rear sway bar to accommodate the new fan and shroud.

8. bart513

bart513 Member

So the rear fans were not an upgrade for the 1.5?

9. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

No, the 1.5's have the PEM fan on the PEM where it's less likely to suck in road debris. It only became a problem on the 2.x's when the fan was moved to road level.

10. bart513

bart513 Member

Thank you for clearing it up.

11. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Here is a picture of the second fan in the PEM of a 1.5. I think this is a better design and it is nearly impossible to suck up road debris. It is on the underside of the 1.5 PEM. You can see it on the upper left corner of this picture. PEM_Cleaning_03.JPG

The PEM fan for the 2.x is on the underside next to the motor fan on the 1.5.

12. bart513

bart513 Member

Oh yes I see. Thanks!

13. asgard

asgard Member

dhrivnak, how hard is it to take the PEM off on the 1.5?
    Thanks much.

14. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

That was a pic from an annual service performed by a Tesla Ranger and some serious high voltage is present at the PEM. Be aware that serious injury or death will occur if the battery/current isn't shut down properly.

15. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

Quick correction, I have a 2.0. Yes, my blower failed and so I took it in for service and got the dual blower assembly. It was a $1500 upgrade through the service department at Fremont.

To my knowledge, my Roadster was never in cold climate (Sunny California), but yes i've heard they are prone to failure. The service department strongly recommended that I upgrade to the dual blower. I believe in previous threads I mistakenly called it a dual fan assembly, as I wasn't aware of the difference.

Thank you for this link. I'm going to look into pricing on this as my AC does not provide even cool air.

16. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

It is a bit of a job, not impossible but harder than changing an air filter. The PEM weighs about 110 lbs and is bulky so a friend really helps. I think there are only 6 bolts but 7 electrical connector plugs. Unless very handy I would watch a ranger first. I have yet to do one by myself but have watched the rangers in preparation for when I do not HAVE to have an annual servicing.