Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear fascia covered under warranty, how should I navigate service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving in heavy rain a couple days ago my entire rear fascia ripped off my 2019 Model 3. Come to find out this is a known defect and Service Bulletin SB-20-12-003 states this exact issue should be fixed under warranty.

How do I confirm with Tesla that they’ll cover this? My service request was cancelled and I was directed to a body shop with no mention of whether this will be covered or not, they will no longer respond to messages.

Tesla admits design flaw led to vehicle rear bumper falling off when driving in puddles of water

Tesla Finally Admits Model 3 Bumpers Fall Off In Rain And Will Fix The Damage Under Warranty

"Talked to the body shop, they know the exact issue I’m talking about and they informed me that if it’s something I want Tesla to pay for it needs to be fixed via a Service Center."
That sounds odd to me. last fall I had some serious damage to front of my M3 here in MA. It happened not far from a service center so I drove it there. They told me that Service Centers don't do body work and that I had to take it to a Tesla Authorized Collision Center, which I did. Perhaps the difference is that my front bumper damage was due to an accident and not a warranty issue, but regardless of that, this particular service center would not have been able to replace the bumper.

Upvote 0
Happened to my Model Y just last Friday: Model Y bumper almost ripped off in pooled water

OP: How did you get your issue fixed?
Vehicle was 4000 miles out of warranty. After chatting and calling out the specific service bulletin in the request service center implied that if I was still within warranty they would cover it. So I ended up paying out of pocket at the certified body shop.

This should be a recall with how common it is.

Reactions: rrohde
Upvote 0