Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear fender scrape - how bad is this going to be

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scraped on a pillar in a parking garage..

It's basically a long scrape, no real dent.. how bad will this end up?

IMG_2990.jpg
IMG_4409.jpg
IMG_8177.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: Silver_Bullet
Is there also a large dent by the door handle and to the rear? It's hard the tell from the warping of the reflection.
I had something similar, minus the denting, on another car and used Goo Gone which completely removed all paint remnants. Then I used compound to lessen the look of the scrapes. It's "acceptable" now. I didn't take it any further tan that, but then again, it wasn't my Tesla.

Had that happened to me...cost 900 to fix...sigh

Was an annoyingly stupid situation too.

Parked in a valet garage as is usual in NYC.
Guy had no idea how to unlock/start/change gears of a Tesla when I came to pickup and he asked me for help.
This is the first time I've had that happen with a valet.
Anyway so I show him and he's like ok well you paid, so you can drive it out.. I'll guide you.

I drive in reverse about 15 car lengths and then he flags me to make a tight 3 point turn in reverse.
He's guiding me, and a second garage attendant is watching from the other side.
They mention to watch the pillar before I start the 3-pointer..
They then proceed to watch me hit said pillar in slow motion on the final turn out of the 3-point.

I'm behind the wheel so 100% my fault, but wtf.

Well was waiting to reply until I could write the whole followup.
Found a well rated body shop out in South Brooklyn that was open on Sundays, got an estimate of $400 and left it there for 2 days.. picked it up today and looks great.

Also got them to do my annual NYS inspection & got my new sticker which I had 2 weeks left to do..
The paint also seems to have taken care of an extremely light door ding acquired at the Skyview mall earlier this summer.

So big recommendation for - Malibu Auto Malibu Auto

IMG_3386.jpg
IMG_4530.jpg
IMG_5260.jpg

Sorry. I have to ask though, don't you look at your sensors while you're parking? They shouldn't have any problem giving you the range on a concrete pillar that high.

No the sensors wouldn’t pick up that pillar when pulling back out of the spot.
Note the sensor is behind the wheel well, so it would have only detected proximity to the pillar once I cleared it.

Further this is why autopark (which uses only sensors no cameras) warns about pillars and there are threads of people complaining that autopark crashed them into objects like pillars.

No the sensors wouldn’t pick up that pillar when pulling back out of the spot.
Note the sensor is behind the wheel well, so it would have only detected proximity to the pillar once I cleared it.

Further this is why autopark (which uses only sensors no cameras) warns about pillars and there are threads of people complaining that autopark crashed them into objects like pillars.
If Tesla turned on the repeater cams when in reverse this stuff could be avoided though. Maybe in a future release....