Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Floor Flex?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of a 23 MYP. I just sat in the back and noticed the floor had some noticeable flex to it when putting the weight of my feet on it. When it flexes on the driver side it makes a fairly loud metal flexing sound. The passenger side floor also flexes but doesn’t make the terrible sound.

I’m coming from a 18 M3LR. Overall I think the condition at delivery is great, this is the only issue I've found. I'm wondering if this is normal or expected, I don't recall this in my M3LR but I rarely sit in the back.

Right in front of the middle seat behind the console, I also have a flex, which my son (10 y/o who enjoys sitting in the middle) found and kept using his feet to flex it and cause that sound. After I got him to stop doing it, I put in a service request. Was told it was within spec. I got my MYLR 2/22 so there could have been a change.

I just took delivery of a 23 MYP. I just sat in the back and noticed the floor had some noticeable flex to it when putting the weight of my feet on it. When it flexes on the driver side it makes a fairly loud metal flexing sound. The passenger side floor also flexes but doesn’t make the terrible sound.

I’m coming from a 18 M3LR. Overall I think the condition at delivery is great, this is the only issue I've found. I'm wondering if this is normal or expected, I don't recall this in my M3LR but I rarely sit in the back.
Wow, I have a very similar problem with a 2023 ModelY LR I just took delivery of at the end of December. The rear passenger floor "pops" like a 1960's board game popper - I also put in a service request for them to look at this. An anonymous service tech replied after a few days that this is "a normal characteristic" of the vehicle. This is my 2nd Tesla, my 1st being a 2020 Model 3. The M3 has been as close to perfect as any car can be, and after 70k miles I continue to enjoy it. But this issue, this is unacceptable in a new car of any price range, let alone the cost of the Model Y. I insisted they keep the appointment, and stated that I want them to hear it and look me in the eyes and tell me it's normal. I've never had a car do this, let alone an engineering masterpiece from 2023. So at present I have no resolution, and frankly, a lot of hard feelings towards the brand.

Reactions: Kalix
I don't have this problem on my Y, but when I was at the Corte Madera service center in California, a service advisor was explaining what they do when they encounter this on Fremont-made vehicles (this doesn't apply to Austin-made). They drop the battery pack and put a thin layer of foam between the pack and the floor to basically fill that gap, then bolt the battery back on.

I don't know if your cars are Austin builds or Fremont builds, but you could call Corte Madera and ask about it and have them potentially reach out to your SC or give you the service code for this service.

I have this exact same problem with my MYLR and took it into the service center. The tech went over the carefully went over the issue and looked me dead in the eyes and said that this is completely normal. He stated that there needed to be a gap between the battery pack and the rear passenger floors so there was space between the two area. He also stated that they could completely disassemble the vehicle and add foam between the gaps, but that would take 3 to 4 days. I didn't want them dismantling my brand new vehicle so I just opted to leave it alone.

I have this exact same problem with my MYLR and took it into the service center. The tech went over the carefully went over the issue and looked me dead in the eyes and said that this is completely normal. He stated that there needed to be a gap between the battery pack and the rear passenger floors so there was space between the two area. He also stated that they could completely disassemble the vehicle and add foam between the gaps, but that would take 3 to 4 days. I didn't want them dismantling my brand new vehicle so I just opted to leave it alone.
My MYLR is a 2023 and took delivery 11/25/2022.

Wow, I have a very similar problem with a 2023 ModelY LR I just took delivery of at the end of December. The rear passenger floor "pops" like a 1960's board game popper - I also put in a service request for them to look at this. An anonymous service tech replied after a few days that this is "a normal characteristic" of the vehicle. This is my 2nd Tesla, my 1st being a 2020 Model 3. The M3 has been as close to perfect as any car can be, and after 70k miles I continue to enjoy it. But this issue, this is unacceptable in a new car of any price range, let alone the cost of the Model Y. I insisted they keep the appointment, and stated that I want them to hear it and look me in the eyes and tell me it's normal. I've never had a car do this, let alone an engineering masterpiece from 2023. So at present I have no resolution, and frankly, a lot of hard feelings towards the brand.
Typical Tesla - The tail lights on my '23 M3 tend to fog due to condensation. Went to the service center to hear the words "it is normal"...

My love for Tesla is quickly diminishing...

Reactions: Kalix
This is like trying to warranty a Mitsubishi Mirage because it feels cheap inside. It is what it is, everyone's car does this to some extent. You can't warranty a car just because a component is cheap across the board. It's frustrating the "problem" exists but it isn't really causing a functional or cosmetic issue with the vehicle. It's just the nature of the car.

I happened to be sitting in the back of my MY today and noticed it as I was shuffling to get in the middle of the seat. The flex is occurring behind the center console, slightly to the left. Debating whether to bring it up. Knowing what they may respond with.

You mean this sound? I uploaded a video of mine? My car is made in china and I'm here in Ireland so its not just the USA produced Model Y's.

This is just completely ridiculous to me. We all hear the contactor noise kicking in when we go to enter the car. That is normal for an EV.
However, this is not normal for any car. This is louder than the contactor noise. My floor is flexing very loudly, every time a passenger goes to sit in the rear. Metal doesn't like flex; fatigue etc. Not good #nothappy

Attachments

• middlerowfloorflex.zip
    966.1 KB · Views: 28
Typical Tesla - The tail lights on my '23 M3 tend to fog due to condensation. Went to the service center to hear the words "it is normal"...

My love for Tesla is quickly diminishing...
This is not uncommon for newer cars. My $75k Cadillac CTS-V the headlights would do this sometimes. I’ve had other cars where the tail lights do it. Mine does it sometimes on my MYP. The key is, it is supposed to dry and go away, not stay fogged.

You mean this sound? I uploaded a video of mine? My car is made in china and I'm here in Ireland so its not just the USA produced Model Y's.

This is just completely ridiculous to me. We all hear the contactor noise kicking in when we go to enter the car. That is normal for an EV.
However, this is not normal for any car. This is louder than the contactor noise. My floor is flexing very loudly, every time a passenger goes to sit in the rear. Metal doesn't like flex; fatigue etc. Not good #nothappy
Hi- same here. I’ve had my 23MYLR for a month now and just noticed the flooring flex sound in rear seat. Planning to take it in.
What were you told when you took yours in?

Cheers

Hi- same here. I’ve had my 23MYLR for a month now and just noticed the flooring flex sound in rear seat. Planning to take it in.
What were you told when you took yours in?

Cheers
Hi- I took it in, the tech said it’s normal. I didn’t buy it and asked for manager who was more understanding. They installed plate across the whole rear floor, noise is gone.
Don’t take no for answer, keep pushing.
Cheers