Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear floor mat velcro retainers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My mid 2016 Model S came with a rear floor mat that has velcro patches on the underside, but no matching velcro on the carpet like the front has. The mat slides around and bunches up so I decided to fix it:

I bought a set of new BMW twist lock velcro adapter pads off of ebay for about $10. They require the retainer that is mounted to the BMW carpet so I 3D printed some custom retainers.

rear%20mat%20retainer%201.JPG

rear%20mat%20retainer%202.JPG

The mat has several velcro spots, I'm using the three closest to the rear seat. The BMW retainer fits the velcro patch nicely.

rear%20mat%20retainer%203.JPG

rear%20mat%20retainer%204.JPG

To install the retainer I attached the retainer to the mat and then pressed it lightly into the carpet to leave a dimple where the retainer needs to be mounted. I then used a very sharp razor cutter to make a ~1/2" (12mm) cut in the carpet. Next, remove the velcro retainer pad from floormat, press the retainer stem through the hole and then slide the 3D printed retainer under the carpet and lock it in place. You can access the underside of the carpet by pulling up the back seat bottom and moving it out of the way.

rear%20mat%20retainer%205.JPG

With the retainer locked in place, you can easily position and remove the rear mat without popping the velcro retainer pad out of the carpet.

Other tips:
It's possible to access the underside of the carpet by removing the threshold trim piece.
Removing the lower rear seat requires a FIRM pull at the retainer location on either side of the seat. There is also a chance you can break the plastic insert but they are available from Tesla if you do damage one.
To pop the seat back into the retainers you may have to sit on the edge of the seat and bounce on it a bit. You will hear/feel it pop in.

Here is the .stl file to print your own retainer plates to hold the velcro pad in place: http://jelloslug.com/Tesla/retainer plate.STL

You can buy retainers that look like they will work with the velcro retainer pad stem, but they looked a bit small and flimsy to me.

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
I finally finished up installing the other retainers:

rear%20mat%20retainer%206.JPG

To install the middle retainer you will need to remove the clip holding the carpet down in the middle:

rear%20mat%20retainer%208.JPG

For the ends it's easier if you pull the carpet out from under the door threshold in the corner. It will slide out and back in without removing the plastic trim.

rear%20mat%20retainer%207.JPG

After well over a year of lurking on this forum, I thought it's about time I try to give back. I have a Dec '16 Model S purchased new, and was bothered by the rear floor mat moving around and bunching up in the middle. For my first regular service agreement last summer, I asked why there was no matching Velcro, and they added the Velcro at no charge. Part number below:

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Install 8 Floor Mat Attachments
Installed floor mat anchors and verified that the rear mat no longer moves.
ALLWEATHER FLOOR MAT ATTACHMENT
Part Number: 1037078-00-A
Quantity: 8

• Helpful
Reactions: bpjones and arcus