TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

REAR FOG Lamps

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by aprusan, May 17, 2019 at 3:15 PM.

Tags:
  1. aprusan

aprusan Member

Would anyone like to have the option of a rear foglight?
    I don't think it would be difficult to brighten portion of the existing tail lamp.
    What would it take to accomplish this via a Tesla update?

2. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

Can't happen via update.

What do you want them for? Is it better back up lighting or more visibility to other cars in the fog?

3. kbellairs

kbellairs Member

Aren’t rear fogs required in some countries? If so I’m betting the hardware exists and software can turn it on.

4. KenC

KenC Member

Yeah, I'd like to have a rear foglight. They help others see you in the fog. In bad visibility conditions, my fear is not me hitting the car in front, but the driver behind, hitting me.

5. KenC

KenC Member

Exactly, the Euro models must have a rear fog light setting.

6. mcfuzz89

mcfuzz89 Member

Assuming multi color LEDs were installed for reverse lights, it is a matter of supplying the proper voltage to change the color... so... doable, I'd think.

7. kbellairs

kbellairs Member

Rear fogs are red. On my Volvo (sorry) it’s just an energized brake light on one side.

8. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

#8 Watts_Up, May 18, 2019 at 1:26 AM
    Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 1:49 AM
    Is there any regulation or common value for the height location of a rear fog light?

I just measured the following for the Model 3:

27" (70 cm) - Front high beams above ground.
    16" (40 cm) - Front fog light above ground.

34" (85 cm) - Rear stop and turn signal above ground.
    20" (50 cm) - middle height of the rear bumper.​

Using the rear stop or turn signal (which are stronger than the parking light) is an interesting idea.
    However this would be almost useless because these lights are located too high above the ground.

In general, the rear fog lights should be located under the rear bumper.
    As you can notice, the existing Model 3 front fog lights are located much lower than the front high beams.

I wonder in fact why Tesla installs front fog lights, but does not also provide rear fog lights?

[​IMG]

9. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

In Europe one taillight becomes the rear foglight (so a EU spec Tesla only has one reverse light and not two!) .
    The issue in America is that most people would use them inappropriately and dazzle other drivers.

There is also some issues with lack of drivers looking out for each other in the states i.e. in europe you would be expected to switch your front foglight off if you are following a car closely in the front or switch the rear foglight off if someone is following very closely so you don't dazzle them.

I guess the main reason is that in the USA they are not required so why add another light which might cost 10 dollars to manufacture?

• Funny x 1
  10. aprusan

aprusan Member

The purpose of rear fog lights is to increase your car"s visibility to others. typically, they are just a very bright lamp ,like a braking lamp.
    often they are only one one side of the car but my Volvo had fog lamps on both sides.the software would need to brighten a portion of the existing tail light LEDs

11. phantasms

phantasms Member

On my JCW Mini the car came with fog lights but I didn’t get the option. Never the less they were still there but not activated. I was able to reprogram the car so the fog lights come on with the brake lights. Looks pretty good! Can’t wait to get rid of that thing and get another Tesla! lol

• Like x 1
  12. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Member

[​IMG]

Similar rear fog light could be easily added to the Model 3.

M3Rfg .jpg

There are already a lot of after market rear fog light available

The issue would be to turn them on only undr fog or snow condition.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 1
  13. KenC

KenC Member

My experience is that rear fog lights are high up and on the left side. I can't ever recall seeing rear fog lights below the bumpers when driving in Europe. Front fogs are low to cut thru the fog, for a driver's visibility. Rear fog lights have a different purpose, for other cars to see you.

Why fronts and no rears? It's probably due to US regulations. Does any US manufacturer offer rear fog lights?

14. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I think the Model X, even in the US, has rear fog lights.

• Informative x 1
  15. kbellairs

kbellairs Member

My 1996 Saab and 2007 Volvo both had rear fogs. On the Saab the rear fog replaced one of the reversing lights, so mechanics doing inspections would always tell me one of the backup lights was out. On the Volvo I think it was just a brake light on constantly. Both were up high. Requires an extra switch. Not illegal in US apparently; both cars were US spec. I'd think it would be pretty trivial to add rear fog to the lights UI. There were times in heavy rain when the car in front of me would disappear and I'd be glad to be able to turn my rear fog on. FWIW I've never been hit from behind ;-)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

I see way too many cars with rear fog light on in clear weather. It's pretty annoying.