Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Fog Lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has this been talked about? What are they? If it has been, mods please close.
rearfog.JPG

The US needs rear fog. It would keep people from using their hazards in the rain, which some people hate. I actually appreciate people using hazards because I can see them but that's a whole different topic for another day lol

The US needs rear fog. It would keep people from using their hazards in the rain, which some people hate. I actually appreciate people using hazards because I can see them but that's a whole different topic for another day lol
FYI: it is illegal in FL to drive with your hazards on, you could receive a summons.
I've never seen a US built vehicle intended for sale in the US with a rear fog light.

FYI: it is illegal in FL to drive with your hazards on, you could receive a summons.
I've never seen a US built vehicle intended for sale in the US with a rear fog light.

Most Euro brands sold in the US have them. My Volvo S60 had them. Some Benz have them too. My mom used to oen a Jaguar X-Type and it had them. But the problem is that most owners don't have a clue what the second position of the fog light switch does and they are on the rear fogs all the time...

My S60 had rear fogs (in fact it was 1 rear fog, driver side) but no front fogs.

I miss that feature dearly on my Model S : it helps a lot when driving in bad weather.. I hate when people turn their hazard when visibility is poor, hazards are for actual hazards like it's braking in front or there's an accident ahead...

I hate rear fog lights almost as much as I hate people who drive with their hazards on. Its incredibly distracting when people have them on on a clear night, and makes it harder to see other cars and obstacles.

I hate rear fog lights almost as much as I hate people who drive with their hazards on. Its incredibly distracting when people have them on on a clear night, and makes it harder to see other cars and obstacles.

I agree. North Americans seem to use fog lights almost all the time. I think they feel it makes the car look "cool" or something. Those with rear fogs are, as you say, very distracting in non-foggy conditions. Those that are incorporated into the regular tail light can also sometimes be confused with brake lights. I prefer ones that are separate from the regular tail lights.

To be fair its not all North Americans, its less than 1% of them... still plenty to be hugely irritating though.

Hmmm... maybe it's a Toronto and/or Canadian thing. Just on my way in to work today, at least 50% of the cars that have fog lights had them on. And there was no fog.

None of them Tesla drivers though, right?

I do not use mine unless it is foggy or I am driving in a 2 mile gravel laneway to my friend's lake house so I can better see the potholes. Otherwise they stay off.

All our past Volvo and Mercedes vehicles have had the rear fog lights and it is really useful for bad weather. I don't know why they are not left in place for the US market. They are a good idea.

Also useful when someone is tailgating you at night :)