TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear Giga Cast frame in US production, really?

Discussion in 'Model Y: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by JBenni, Sep 18, 2020.

1. JBenni

JBenni New Member

A foreign news source indicated the Giga Press was active at Fremont, but is actually it in production?

I just ordered for delivery in Atlanta (Nov/Dec timeframe). But I see some advantages to the new cast frame (lighter, possibly some range improvement due to weight reduction, fewer places to rattle, more consistent framework for panel attachments, etc.) so I'd like to defer my delivery until I can be sure the vehicle was built with the new casting.

Is there a way to tell for sure if a Model Y includes the single piece cast rear frame?
    Is there a known build date or VIN# for the cutoff on the non-cast frames?

Thanks for info!

2. LNL_HUTZ

LNL_HUTZ Member

The last article I read on this subject said that the machine was running, but its output was not being incorporated into actual vehicles quite yet--only prototypes. This was a week or more ago, so that may have changed. I don't think anyone has definitively given a date or VIN range for when the switchover is supposed to happen. For that matter, I'm not sure it's a given that Tesla will stop using the existing process altogether. They might start running the two parallel to each other.

3. JBenni

JBenni New Member

Thanks for making a good point. So now I'm really interested in whether there is a way to tell by inspection which frame was used - without tearing apart the car.

4. Kimo

Kimo Member

Maybe the best way to figure that out would be to watch the munro live tear down of the Y and see when they get to that point if you are able to determine if it can be seen assembled.

• Funny x 1
  5. jmatero

jmatero Member

I'm sure the single part can be easily identified vs the old collection of parts. We'll know as soon as a new owner verifies.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.57.55 AM.png