Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rear Giga Cast frame in US production, really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A foreign news source indicated the Giga Press was active at Fremont, but is actually it in production?

I just ordered for delivery in Atlanta (Nov/Dec timeframe). But I see some advantages to the new cast frame (lighter, possibly some range improvement due to weight reduction, fewer places to rattle, more consistent framework for panel attachments, etc.) so I'd like to defer my delivery until I can be sure the vehicle was built with the new casting.

Is there a way to tell for sure if a Model Y includes the single piece cast rear frame?
Is there a known build date or VIN# for the cutoff on the non-cast frames?

Thanks for info!

The last article I read on this subject said that the machine was running, but its output was not being incorporated into actual vehicles quite yet--only prototypes. This was a week or more ago, so that may have changed. I don't think anyone has definitively given a date or VIN range for when the switchover is supposed to happen. For that matter, I'm not sure it's a given that Tesla will stop using the existing process altogether. They might start running the two parallel to each other.

...I don't think anyone has definitively given a date or VIN range for when the switchover is supposed to happen. For that matter, I'm not sure it's a given that Tesla will stop using the existing process altogether...

Thanks for making a good point. So now I'm really interested in whether there is a way to tell by inspection which frame was used - without tearing apart the car.

I'm sure the single part can be easily identified vs the old collection of parts. We'll know as soon as a new owner verifies.

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 9.57.55 AM.png