Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed my rear glass cracked months after I had my M3 tinted. I am certain it was not an accident from the tint shop since I inspected their job right after the tint was placed. Is this normal? I am getting my car serviced, should I remove the tint before going in so they won't blame it on that?

Attachments

• IMG_3460 copy.jpg
    IMG_3460 copy.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 1,739
  • IMG_3461 copy.jpg
    IMG_3461 copy.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_3462 copy.jpg
    IMG_3462 copy.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 715
I noticed my rear glass cracked months after I had my M3 tinted. I am certain it was not an accident from the tint shop since I inspected their job right after the tint was placed. Is this normal? I am getting my car serviced, should I remove the tint before going in so they won't blame it on that?
There are similar threads where people got it replaced under warranty even with a tint.
Rear window cracking... 2019 M3 Performance

I think the more important thing is that it's a stress crack and not from impact (which is not covered under warranty, they look at the crack to see it there is an impact point). Not sure from pictures, but it looks like the crack might be on inside (perhaps you can feel it with finger). If it's on inside, usually that's a sign of a stress crack (as unlikely you would have something hit inside of glass hard/fast enough to crack it, while outside hard debris that hits hard enough might be able to crack or chip the glass).

Last edited:
It's hard to tell from your pictures, but I had mine replaced under warranty, 8/19. I didn't have any tint, so not exactly similar to your situation.

As @stopcrazypp informed, check for any appearance of an impact along the crack outside. If you have a impact on outside, warranty will likely be denied.

Take at least 3 pictures from different angles, they will want you to upload them to determine if it's a warrantee issue. I had to take mine into the service center for replacement with a 3 day turnaround.

Attachments

• Crack.jpg
    Crack.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 685
I have 35% Spectra Photosync Tint all around and found this V-shaped stress crack at the heater element. Will take it to my Service Advisor to verify a warranty claim tomorrow. May 2019 build.

0A257F48-51F9-4FD9-B57D-7B5FF362FBAA.jpeg
6AD4C413-4B23-40A2-9650-7D3197C81E8B.jpeg

Last edited: